About the output clipping light

Ztla

I'm currently using my axe fx II mk2 as a soundcard which means that it's on whenever I want to do anything on my PC like listen to music or watch movies. Every now and then I see the "output1 clipping" -light flashing. I just read that the light turns on about 1-2db before the actual clipping occurs so doesn't this mean that every time I listen a highly compressed EDM track with full volume in the PC's end, for example, the light is going to be lit all the time? I tested it and it seems so. Nothing's crackling or anything. This seemed kinda stupid to me so is there a reason for why the light works that way and what is it's purpose? Why not set the threshold to the actual clipping level or at least much closer to it, like 0,3db or something?

The clip light's purpose is to warn you when you're clipping the outputs or just about to clip. Clipping is bad, m'kay? :)

,,,doesn't this mean that every time I listen a highly compressed EDM track with full volume in the PC's end, for example, the light is going to be lit all the time?
Yes.

I tested it and it seems so. Nothing's crackling or anything.
Highly-compressed EDM at full PC volume is going to be such a thudding wall of jangle and mud that you won't hear any added distortion until there's a ton of it, and you're well into clipping. Distortion will sound like random high-frequency junk, not like crackling.

This seemed kinda stupid to me so is there a reason for why the light works that way and what is it's purpose?
The reason it works that way is to warn you when you're in danger of f*cking up your signal, which is likely to happen when you're running your PC output that hot.

Google "gain staging." Once you wrap your head around that topic, you'll understand the wisdom of putting the "Danger: Bridge Out Ahead" sign before the actual end of the road. ;)

This seemed kinda stupid to me so is there a reason for why the light works that way and what is it's purpose? Why not set the threshold to the actual clipping level or at least much closer to it, like 0,3db or something?

Ideally, it would be a meter instead of a single LED. That way you could know how close you are to clipping in addition to knowing when you are clipping. But it's just a single LED, so the dilemma is: what should the LED show?

If it only lit when you clip (or very close, like -.3dB), that wouldn't tell you anything about how close you are to clipping. That's important since, for optimal dynamic range when playing your guitar through your AxeFX, you want to be close to clipping without going over. The compromise that Cliff chose is actually pretty smart since it gives you a lot of information from a single LED. If it doesn't light up, your level is probably too low. If it is constantly lit up, your level is too high. If it occasionally briefly lights up, you're probably in the sweet spot. While that may not be ideal when listening to EDM, it works great for the primary purpose of the AxeFX: processing a guitar signal.

Reactions: Rex
I'm currently using my axe fx II mk2 as a soundcard which means that it's on whenever I want to do anything on my PC like listen to music or watch movies. Every now and then I see the "output1 clipping" -light flashing. I just read that the light turns on about 1-2db before the actual clipping occurs so doesn't this mean that every time I listen a highly compressed EDM track with full volume in the PC's end, for example, the light is going to be lit all the time? I tested it and it seems so. Nothing's crackling or anything. This seemed kinda stupid to me so is there a reason for why the light works that way and what is it's purpose? Why not set the threshold to the actual clipping level or at least much closer to it, like 0,3db or something?

I've had gear that warns you at -6dB. A guitar signal is way more dynamic and needs more headroom than a compressed and limited recording, so if you see the clipping light when playing guitar, you're too close to clipping and will probably want to lower the Amp Block level by -6dB.

Here's the cure for the clipping light issue and it's only $6.50 shipped to your door: http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm

For optimum levels with guitar, use the onboard VU meter, don't try to crank the levels until you're almost clipping. That won't help with USB audio content from your computer, unfortunately.

Will seeing the red lights on the front of the axefx light up cause any damage to monitors or headphones? Or is it just going to cause the recording to have distortions in it? I'm confused on what I need to worry about when I see red lights. And do I just turn the level overall down to stop it or do I need to adjust the EQ?

Turn down the USB Return Level in the I/O menu or reduce the source volume from your computer if you get clipping while streaming audio to the Axe. If it happens while playing, use the VU meter in the Utility menu to set your patch levels in order to leave ample headroom. You don't want the Output Clip LEDs to light at all. It will not cause any damage to the unit, but it indicates hard digital clipping before the D/A converter as the signal is hard limited to 0 dbFS. The top red LEDs of the Input level meter light at -6dB so it's ok if those occasionally flicker. However if they tend to stay lit, you might be clipping the input at the A/D converter.

Will seeing the red lights on the front of the axefx light up cause any damage to monitors or headphones? Or is it just going to cause the recording to have distortions in it? I'm confused on what I need to worry about when I see red lights. And do I just turn the level overall down to stop it or do I need to adjust the EQ?
Pro-grade audio gear won't be damaged by distorted audio, but consumer-grade speakers can be damaged by distorted audio played at high volume.

The red LEDs mean that the Axe's output converters are being overdriven. To fix it, turn down either the Amp block's Level parameter or the preset's Main level parameter.

Turn down the USB Return Level in the I/O menu or reduce the source volume from your computer if you get clipping while streaming audio to the Axe. If it happens while playing, use the VU meter in the Utility menu to set your patch levels in order to leave ample headroom. You don't want the Output Clip LEDs to light at all. It will not cause any damage to the unit, but it indicates hard digital clipping before the D/A converter as the signal is hard limited to 0 dbFS. The top red LEDs of the Input level meter light at -6dB so it's ok if those occasionally flicker. However if they tend to stay lit, you might be clipping the input at the A/D converter.

This is the correct answer for both playing audio and playing guitar through the Axe-Fx II.

Also, if you notice audio is too quiet when playing over USB, make sure the USB Return Level in the I/O menu isn't turned down too much.

The USB Return Level is great to use when practicing or recording if the playback music is louder than your guitar. Just lower it until you can hear your guitar clearly. Don't forget to turn it back up when finished.

An easy way to make this problem disappear...

Keep your PC volume on full in Windows & the program you use for playback
Play through a patch on the Axe, and set the patch level to hover at about 0db on the VU Meter in the Utility menu
Play a (mastered) track in whatever program you use, and play along with it
Reduce the USB Return Level until your guitar sits about level with the track.

That way you can play/practice with tracks from your PC and it won't approach clipping and make the LED light up. You can also just leave it like that for casual playback. You'll also have more play on the Out 1 knob for fine volume adjustments.

Why not set the threshold to the actual clipping level or at least much closer to it, like 0,3db or something?

Check this out also for more explanation:

http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/why-are-my-axe-fx-clip-lights-turning-on-what-is-clipping/

When first dialing in custom presets, I too had this issue. The thing is that the FAS gear is modeled so accurately that they have to be "gain staged" appropriately as @Rex pointed out. Chris' video above helped a ton for understanding why and how this can occur. Hope it helps mate.

Back
Top Bottom