About the Axe-Fx II XL

Cliff got me searching for.....

What is SuperFlash?

SuperFlash is an innovate, highly reliable and versatile type of NOR Flash memory invented by SST. NOR is a form of random access nonvolatile memory that allows electronic systems to retain information when the power source is turned off. SST SuperFlash memory is much more flexible and reliable than other competing nonvolatile memories. SST SuperFlash technology utilizes a split-gate cell architecture which uses a robust thick-oxide process with fewer masking steps resulting in a low-cost nonvolatile memory solution with excellent data retention and higher reliability.

The SuperFlash split-gate memory cell is comparable in size to the single-transistor stacked-gate cell (for a given level of technology), yet provides the performance and reliability benefits of the traditional two-transistor Byte alterable EEPROM cell. By design, the SuperFlash split-gate memory cell eliminates the stacked gate issue of "over erase," by isolating each memory cell from the bit line. "Erase disturb" cannot occur because all Bytes are simultaneously erased in the same page and each page is completely isolated from every other page during any high-voltage operation.

The SuperFlash memory cell is a single-transistor split-gate memory cell using poly-to-poly Fowler-Nordheim tunneling for erasing and source-side channel hot electron injection for programming. Poly-to-poly tunneling is from a field enhancing tunneling injector formed on the floating-gate using industry standard oxidation and dry etching techniques. Source-side channel hot electron injection is very efficient, thus allowing the use of a small on-chip charge pump from a single low-voltage power supply, e.g. 5 or 3 volts. Cells are normally erased prior to programming.

The split-gate memory cell size is comparable to traditional stacked gate memory cells using the same process technology. This is possible because:

The tunneling injector cell does not need the extra spacing to isolate the high voltages required for programming the stacked gate array
Floating-gate extensions are not needed to achieve the required stacked gate coupling ratios.
Additionally, the simplicity of the cell structure eliminates many of the peripheral logic functions needed to control erasing of the stacked gate device. The tunneling injector cell can be formed using standard CMOS process. Memory arrays may use either random access or sequential access peripheral architectures.

well its a bummer not to have the benefit of the lower noise/distortion from the new op-amp, as its a challenge at times fighting the noise floor, as its quite evident the degradation of tone to at least some extent using a gate.(a necessary evil at times)
from the release notesof XL it said the preset capacity in blocks/complexity will be greatly expanded, so how is a regular Axe-Fx II user going to be able to use a patch that may easily exceed its memory capacity? this may become an ever growing problem as more "complex" patches are built thru the new XL standard...

well its a bummer not to have the benefit of the lower noise/distortion from the new op-amp, as its a challenge at times fighting the noise floor, as its quite evident the degradation of tone to at least some extent using a gate.(a necessary evil at times)

I can see a market for this.....as we have a digital input on our AxeFx II ;)

Still happy with my "lowly" Ultra :D I would have been all over a floorboard version, for the fly-to gigs we do that would be absolutely perfect. Maybe next time, eh? ;)

Updated product looks great. As a longtime user who owned 2 Ultras and currently a II I have a few questions about the upcoming release. I've had some power user wish list requests that I'm wondering if this product can now do.

I use the Axe with Output 1 going to FOH and output 2 to my stage wedge. This gives me the ability to give the FOH a consistent volume, and adjust my stage vol on the fly as needed. But I'd love if I could do the following:
1. Can the SPDIF or AES be used as a digital FX loop instead of the analog I/O? I would love to use some high end Lexicons or Eventides etc. in the loop digitally and keep the analog outs for independent outs to FOH and Stage. I doubt this tho as essentially there would then be 3 sets of I/O routing going on instead of the current 2.

2. Does the new midi output transmit standard midi beat clocks for synching other devices to AXE tempo? Currently this doesn't work, (for me at least) and if you have a lot of devices in the studio I have to use a Midi Time Piece AV to route beat clocks to all my devices. Live this requires a lot more gear. If the AXE sent midi beat clocks out it's output I could just chain the 2 or 3 devices starting at the AXE.

Currently to do this I have to use a different clock source then the Axe, which means I loose the ability to use 7 pin midi functionality and power my pedal because I have to plug into a midi interface first in the chain.

Thanks again, unit looks great. I love my II and I couldn't live without it. These are just some wish list things I've been lusting for for a long time.

Let me clear up a few things:

The primary impetus for the XL was the FASLINK port. Since I had to develop a new mainboard to support this I figured why not put in some of the other requests we get from the power users.

The additional memory is FLASH which is EPROM not RAM. This will not increase the looper time as the amount of RAM has not changed.

The type of FLASH memory is "Super-FLASH" which is an expensive, high-reliability memory. It can be erased hundreds of thousands of times without wearout or slowdown. This prevents the need to wear-level the memory and the dreaded "Tuning Memory" stuff.

There is no longer any SRAM for preset storage. All presets are stored in FLASH.

There is still a small SRAM for storage of system information that requires a battery. You can still back your system up to FLASH. If the battery dies you won't lose your presets and hopefully you've backed up your system.

There is enough FLASH memory to store 1024 presets and 1024 user cabs but I'm reserving half the memory for future upgrades.

The "Special Sauce III" uses a combination of things to get a lower noise floor. One of these things is new, premium Burr-Brown op-amps in the signal path which have extremely low noise and distortion (and are very expensive). As always I don't design stuff to be cheap, I design it to be good.

The optical encoder requires power and therefore can not be retrofitted into a Mark I/II. Also the shaft and bushing size are different so it doesn't fit anyways.

UltraRes is not specific to the XL and, in fact, the beta testers have Version 13.00 beta now and are testing the UltraRes capability.

All algorithms will be identical between the Mark I/II and XL. They all share the same code base. Any enhancements/improvements will benefit all models except when aforementioned features are not available.

The Mark II will continue to be produced and sold. The XL is a higher-priced option for those who need the features and does not in any way obsolete the Mark II.

Crystal clear information - thanks Cliff :encouragement:

Can't wait to hear the UltraRes(TM) in FW 13 and taste the XL Special Sauce III(TM)! :)

Ok, I'd like to say something here.

Instead of spending time, energy, money, and research power on:

1) a product that's marginally different/better than the current generation and, as OP said, really only targeted to a specific type of user (that is almost a minority by definition)
2) firmware upgrades that increase amp and drive sim realism by, what, a couple percentage points each on average (if one were to try to quantify such a thing)? Maybe 10% if we're being generous?

Why doesn't Fractal focus on one of the main issues that has caused AxeFX owners to tear their hair out - and has been the inspiration for many an angry forum post - for years.

The lack of PROPER EFFECTS SPILLOVER.

Yes, Scenes open up that kind of functionality...but only within a single preset. Yes, spillover is possible across presets...but only if you copy the exact effect block and settings from one preset to the next, create a "dummy" signal chain dumped into the output solely for the spillover, and then you construct your presets such that the effect block numbers (e.g. Reverb 1) SENDING spillover information correspond to the "spillover chain" blocks RECEIVING it in the preset your navigating to - and even that isn't supported by all effects (e.g. Multidelay). The second option is extremely complicated, extremely limiting, and is a workaround at best.

As a guitarist that has to do the "ambient" thing with an original artist sometimes, I can't tell you how many hours of frustration this has caused me, hours of my life pissed away because the highest-tech, most cutting-edge piece of guitar technology doesn't do what a mid-level stompbox can do. I've even had some forum members try to tell me that, as a guitarist looking for this kind of functionality out of my effects, I should perhaps look into getting a supplemental piece of gear to cover those FX... a supplemental FX processor...for my Axe----->FX<-----

To be absolutely clear, I love my AxeFX2. I use it almost everyday. I think all the sims are the best on the market, and the effects sound phenomenal. The spillover thing, though, needs to be fixed, and, honestly, it needs to be fixed more than the consumer needs an AxeFX2 XL or the community needs that extra 4% of amp sim realism.

...And before anyone chimes in to tell me how *hard* spillover is to do, listen: we all own a metal box that you plug a guitar into and out the other side comes sounds indistinguishable from, what, a half-million dollars worth of the world's finest amps, cabs, stompboxes, etc? I'm not buying the idea that a professional sounding spillover - again, something that can be found in a plethora of other, cheaper devices - is just that much hardER to achieve.

Last edited:

1) a product that's marginally different/better than the current generation and, as OP said, really only targeted to a specific type of user (that is almost a minority by definition)
2) firmware upgrades that increase amp and drive sim realism by, what, a couple percentage points each on average (if one were to try to quantify such a thing)? Maybe 10% if we're being generous?

Why doesn't Fractal focus on one of the main issues that has caused AxeFX owners to tear their hair out - and has been the inspiration for many an angry forum post - for years.

Yes, Scenes open up that kind of functionality...but only within a single preset. Yes, spillover is possible across presets...but only if you copy the exact effect block and settings from one preset to the next, create a "dummy" signal chain dumped into the output solely for the spillover, and then you construct your presets such that the effect block numbers (e.g. Reverb 1) SENDING spillover information correspond to the "spillover chain" blocks RECEIVING it in the preset your navigating to - and even that isn't supported by all effects (e.g. Multidelay). The second option is extremely complicated, extremely limiting, and is a workaround at best.

As a guitarist that has to do the "ambient" thing with an original artist sometimes, I can't tell you how many hours of frustration this has caused me, hours of my life pissed away because the highest-tech, most cutting-edge piece of guitar technology doesn't do what a mid-level stompbox can do. I've even had some forum members try to tell me that, as a guitarist looking for this kind of functionality out of my effects, I should perhaps look into getting a supplemental piece of gear to cover those FX... a supplemental FX processor...for my Axe----->FX<-----

To be absolutely clear, I love my AxeFX2. I use it almost everyday. I think all the sims are the best on the market, and the effects sound phenomenal. The spillover thing, though, needs to be fixed, and, honestly, it needs to be fixed more than the consumer needs an AxeFX2 XL or the community needs that extra 4% of amp sim realism.

...And before anyone chimes in to tell me how *hard* spillover is to do, listen: we all own a metal box that you plug a guitar into and out the other side comes sounds indistinguishable from, what, a half-million dollars worth of the world's finest amps, cabs, stompboxes, etc? I'm not buying the idea that a professional sounding spillover - again, something that can be found in a plethora of other, cheaper devices - is just that much hardER to achieve.

Yes I'm going to chime in and tell you ITS HARD TO DO...

It essentially boils down to needing twice the current DSP horsepower or utilizing half the current horsepower, wasting the other half to simply support spillover. There's only certain edge simple cases where you could support with less cpu usage...Its the old TANSTAFL principle...There ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

blah blah blah

i think only a minority really need proper effects spillover :) sure it'd be great to have. i don't want to pay $4000 for a unit that has it though.

and that 10% of additional amp realism is a HUGE 10%.

Back
Top Bottom