About the Axe-Fx II XL

I read through the 21 pages on this thread
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/news/80877-announcing-axe-fx-ii-xl-12.html#post982886
and I couldn't find a clear answer to the question of forward compatibility.
I am on the waiting list for the XL but this question will determine if I will buy it.
I am constantly sharing presets with a few friends and if I send my presets - will those be usable for AxeFx II users ?

If I don't use any of the "expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks " - will my presets work on a AxeFx II
If I do use any of those features - what happens when they are loaded onto a AxeFx II ?

Trond

I have an XL and a MkII. So far, everything is compatible from II to XL. The one thing I have found though is that XL sys. files are 13KB, instead of the usual 6KB. Axe Change will not allow files this size. Neither will this website. So, exchanging files created on n XL is a bit limited for now, until FAS makes a few tweaks. Which, I am sure will come quickly. But, all the performance functionality is there and compatible.

Steve

I read through the 21 pages on this thread
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/news/80877-announcing-axe-fx-ii-xl-12.html#post982886
and I couldn't find a clear answer to the question of forward compatibility.
I am on the waiting list for the XL but this question will determine if I will buy it.
I am constantly sharing presets with a few friends and if I send my presets - will those be usable for AxeFx II users ?

If I don't use any of the "expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks " - will my presets work on a AxeFx II
If I do use any of those features - what happens when they are loaded onto a AxeFx II ?

Trond

I have an XL and a MkII. So far, everything is compatible from II to XL. The one thing I have found though is that XL sys. files are 13KB, instead of the usual 6KB. Axe Change will not allow files this size. Neither will this website. So, exchanging files created on n XL is a bit limited for now, until FAS makes a few tweaks. Which, I am sure will come quickly. But, all the performance functionality is there and compatible.

Steve

Hi
Thanxs for your reply but I am aware that from II to XL all is working fine - I am more interested in the other way around.
Will preset created in XL work on II ?

Today? No. Maybe soon though. I posted this in another thread and Cliff responded and is having the programmers looking into it. I am sure it won't be long until we get an Axe Edit and Fractal Bot update to handle this.

Hi
Thanxs for your reply but I am aware that from II to XL all is working fine - I am more interested in the other way around.
Will preset created in XL work on II ?

Today? No. Maybe soon though. I posted this in another thread and Cliff responded and is having the programmers looking into it. I am sure it won't be long until we get an Axe Edit and Fractal Bot update to handle this.

I would assume this would be a need for a lot of people as the XL is increasing in numbers.
I am hoping they add this in Axe-Edit ... as I just now ordered the XL.

I'm currently trying to transfer presets from the II tot the XL.
This is a rather cumbersome process.
Unlink each preset one by one
Transfer
Link again
Reset cabs because there's an offset
And to make things worse.
i thought the XL would allow the use of more blocks. This clearly isn't the case.
So I'm a bit disappointed.

I'm currently trying to transfer presets from the II tot the XL. This is a rather cumbersome process. Unlink each preset one by one Transfer Link again Reset cabs because there's an offset And to make things worse. i thought the XL would allow the use of more blocks. This clearly isn't the case. So I'm a bit disappointed.

The DSPs are unchanged between the II and the XL so if you're at the CPU limit in the II you'll be at the CPU limit in the XL. The XL does allow for more of some types of blocks as well as blocks with X/Y state that don't have X/Y state in the II.

Cliff got me searching for.....

What is SuperFlash?

SuperFlash is an innovate, highly reliable and versatile type of NOR Flash memory invented by SST. NOR is a form of random access nonvolatile memory that allows electronic systems to retain information when the power source is turned off. SST SuperFlash memory is much more flexible and reliable than other competing nonvolatile memories. SST SuperFlash technology utilizes a split-gate cell architecture which uses a robust thick-oxide process with fewer masking steps resulting in a low-cost nonvolatile memory solution with excellent data retention and higher reliability.

The SuperFlash split-gate memory cell is comparable in size to the single-transistor stacked-gate cell (for a given level of technology), yet provides the performance and reliability benefits of the traditional two-transistor Byte alterable EEPROM cell. By design, the SuperFlash split-gate memory cell eliminates the stacked gate issue of "over erase," by isolating each memory cell from the bit line. "Erase disturb" cannot occur because all Bytes are simultaneously erased in the same page and each page is completely isolated from every other page during any high-voltage operation.

The SuperFlash memory cell is a single-transistor split-gate memory cell using poly-to-poly Fowler-Nordheim tunneling for erasing and source-side channel hot electron injection for programming. Poly-to-poly tunneling is from a field enhancing tunneling injector formed on the floating-gate using industry standard oxidation and dry etching techniques. Source-side channel hot electron injection is very efficient, thus allowing the use of a small on-chip charge pump from a single low-voltage power supply, e.g. 5 or 3 volts. Cells are normally erased prior to programming.

The split-gate memory cell size is comparable to traditional stacked gate memory cells using the same process technology. This is possible because:

The tunneling injector cell does not need the extra spacing to isolate the high voltages required for programming the stacked gate array
Floating-gate extensions are not needed to achieve the required stacked gate coupling ratios.
Additionally, the simplicity of the cell structure eliminates many of the peripheral logic functions needed to control erasing of the stacked gate device. The tunneling injector cell can be formed using standard CMOS process. Memory arrays may use either random access or sequential access peripheral architectures.

God I LOVE IT when you talk dirty! :stupid:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i thought the XL would allow the use of more blocks. This clearly isn't the case.
So I'm a bit disappointed.

Yep. Unless that capability arrives in some future firmware, I'm afraid all the XL offers is a little extra I/O and more presets/cab locations. Not what was advertised.

From the "Announcing" post:
Double-capacity preset size allows for expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks and more instances of effects.

It is rather underwhelming.

The DSPs are unchanged between the II and the XL so if you're at the CPU limit in the II you'll be at the CPU limit in the XL. The XL does allow for more of some types of blocks as well as blocks with X/Y state that don't have X/Y state in the II.
No, the XL is eating more CPU, I checked this with Sean Strickland on a preset I sent him. XL is eating 3% more CPU, wich is a drag when you are already on the border...

I dislike being indecisive especially with high end gear... I've been debating on whether this is REALLY REALLY worth having even while owning the original. It's nice to have something "new" but as i read different threads and comments mixed opinions and such about being worth getting etc. its a bit tough deciding (at least for me lol). The backwards comparability is another thing as far as an XL user creating a preset and not being able to use it on the original. Maybe as a backup unit it would be a good idea to have? :O

There is potential for future advances that were mentioned in the original announcement. It's partly why I went for it. Also, the cab capacity is important enough for me. And I had the scratch to upgrade. Only downside is you can't load any firmware prior to 14? Maybe 13, well at least since its release this year. But not a big deal since there's no point to driving looking in the rearview mirror.

Back
Top Bottom