About the Axe-Fx II XL

Is it made in the USA or China?

I guess I'm feeding the fire by even responding, but do we have to have this discussion again? I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but there was so much uproar and picking apart every nuance about built vs. designed vs. assembled the last time this topic was raised. It would be so great if we could just rejoice in seeing the evolution of such a great product without picking everything apart.

In other words, something I have absolutely no need for being perfectly happy with my II :encouragement:

As soon as I read the specs I knew it was something I didn't really need right now and the fact that it's pretty much the same machine code wise does not have me gassing at all.

lscottk...the reason is ask is because chinese products are JUNK. Unless you are already a global company (like Apple), where your money really matters to the chinese gov't, they are going to find a way to make it as cheaply as possible. If you don't believe me, go over there and have them make a product for you, it will suck. I quit my last job because the quality was so piss poor, coming from china. On the OTHER hand, we have MILLIONS of unemployed, that could be EMPLOYED by simply keeping it in the US. Now, I know everyone's going to say 'cost' is involved...I will never believe that after seeing the books for the last two companies I worked for. If it's made in china, I'll simply find a comparative product that is made in the US. It can be designed all day in the US, but if it's not made here...you get the idea.

lscottk...the reason is ask is because chinese products are JUNK. Unless you are already a global company (like Apple), where your money really matters to the chinese gov't, they are going to find a way to make it as cheaply as possible. If you don't believe me, go over there and have them make a product for you, it will suck. I quit my last job because the quality was so piss poor, coming from china. On the OTHER hand, we have MILLIONS of unemployed, that could be EMPLOYED by simply keeping it in the US. Now, I know everyone's going to say 'cost' is involved...I will never believe that after seeing the books for the last two companies I worked for. If it's made in china, I'll simply find a comparative product that is made in the US. It can be designed all day in the US, but if it's not made here...you get the idea.

I reckon that the Axe is such a niche product at a high level with a decent pricetag that the amount being manufactured probably doesn't mitigate Chinese production. Also, given the quality of FAS's aftersales service I think the point is moot. It's not gonna be junk. I think I can say that with certainty given past performance on the Standard, Ultra and II, and to me, that's what matters.

So basically the Standard/Ultra all over again. Makes sense.

Not really. The Ultra had a better DSP than the Standard and could run effects blocks the Standard couldn't (Multi-Comp comes to mind, there were some others too...been a while since I had to think about it). This barely compares to the gulf that was between those two units because the DSPs are equivalent and that's the real engine and ultimate limit on what the Axe-Fx in all it's II incarnations can do.

My Axe Fx II Gen 1 is enuf XL for me... now if the XL had built in chick magnet & a brandy chiller I'd be in... :lol

Does the "secret sauce III" provide any noticeable change in sound besides a lower noise floor? I may upgrade just for this.

Im all good with my AXE II, haven't even start using X/Y, scenes or scene controllers yet. Past FW upgrades I havent always able to tell whats been improved, pretty much sound very similar, but with 12.4 for my presets there big improvement and with FW 13 introducing ultra res IR Id say we are all in for a treat.

It seems like this is geared (natch) towards the higher end audience. The touring pro's, studio bosses who want an 'all in one' box with 500+ (ouch) presets that can react and reamp to any recording situation.

It is intriguing that there is some expansion there. It will be interesting to watch where Fractal's attention will wander into that realm.

R

Back
Top Bottom