About Scenes ?

mwd

Power User
Never used scenes. I finally unpacked my Fractal EV1 I bought 3 months ago as I am finally working on a 'wah' song.

I am wondering if scenes can be used like some of my DAW plug-ins when I can do A/B/C/D comparisons for EQ settings for example.

I am searching for the just right settings for the wah.

Can I work on the wah settings, switch to Scene 2 and change the wah, switch to Scene 3 and change again... on up to Scene 8.

Experimenting with 8 variations without jacking with the rest of the preset?

nope. you have a lot of catching up to do.

basically Scenes can change block Engage/Bypass status (on or off), XY switching and a few other specific things with levels in the FX Loop and Output block. that's pretty much it.

if you change any parameters within a block, those changes will be present in every Scene, because Scenes do not save different parameter settings, only what i mentioned above. Scene Controllers can be used to change some settings when changing Scenes, but that's a bit advanced.

here's my first article from way back in December 2012. Scenes were introduced in Firmware 9.00: Axe-FX II Version 9.00 - Scenes Explained | AxeFxTutorials.com

check out my (now free to view) in depth video tutorial on Presets, XY and Scenes. you really need to understand all three to get the most out of them.

Presets, XY Switching, and Scenes - Axe-Fx II In-Depth Tutorial

Scene Controllers: Scene Controllers in the Axe-FX II - Basics | AxeFxTutorials.com

You could conceivably test 4 different wah settings by using 2 wah blocks and X/Y, but not 8.

Here's a patch (for Axe-Fx II) with 4 different wahs in scenes 1-4. Each of them is tied to an expression pedal on External 1, and set to auto-engage.

View attachment 4 Wahs.syx

Scene 1: WAH1 X Clyde
Scene 2: WAH1 Y Color-Tone
Scene 3: WAH2 X Cry Babe
Scene 4: WAH2 Y FAS Standard

There are 2 filter blocks that have their bypass modes set to MUTE. One of these is active in each scene, allowing signal to pass through from the wah block before it. Without them, BOTH wah blocks would turn on at once with auto-engage.

Watch Chris' videos and what is going on in this patch should make more sense!

Thank you Chris. Read the first article and I have the idea. Yep I jumped from an Ultra to XL and don't use a footswitch. But I do use MIDI computer so I'm going to check out the vid tomorrow and see if that is applicable.

I see. For the computer, the midi command is cc#34 and the Value corresponds to the Scenes.

CC#34 value 0 = Scene 1
CC#34 value 1 = Scene 2

Etc.

Back
Top Bottom