About headphones with Axe-Fx II XL+

Bcraig

Inspired
I know it not the best idea but for a quiet apartment will have to do
So I am looking for the very best type of headphones that will play well and with the Axe-Fx II XL+
I been reading I am learning that using headphones Your not going to get the same Simulation of an Air being push through it amp and cabinets speakers

I do understand that
so if I have to use headphones

I would like to know my my options my pros and cons so I can work around them
When looking for headphones
What are the the specs and detail things I need to look out for to make my playing with the Axe-Fx II XL+ more friendly ?

Thank All in advance

I wouldn't call myself a pro as a player. But Heaphones have been one of my primairy sources of monitoring my axe since purchase. Since its a much better option for playing in the middle of the night.

You will not have the feedback that you would have normally with an amp in the room(ie holding your guitar infront of your amp get it to sqeal or other sypathetic feedbacks). So I have found the need to often add more gain to my heavily headphone used patches.

Keep in mind that most headphones even reference or super high end audiophile grade headphones seem to add some color in one place or another. I am not saying you can't achieve tones you will like. But they most likely will not translate the way you intended them too. When it comes to other sources of monitoring.

I think keeping these two things in mind will help you out when in a headphones situation with the axe, or really any monitoring done purely from headphones.

It might be a good idea to check the volume level before buying.
With my cheap 32 ohms headphones, the volume button needs to be set below 25 %, and the knob is very sensitive.
There are higher impedance phones (just noticed there is a 600-ohms version of the Dt-880) that might be a better choice for living room SPL levels.

Blue Mofi.

However, if you use the search button, there are very many threads on this subject. It would be worth your time to look through those.

R

That when looking for headphones

Do You need to consider the

1.Flat frequency response how very flat and neutral
2.and how wide range of those frequency responses are like 5k-22k
Meaning are to use for playing around within the Axe Rack with those frequency to show flexible headroom
To get those tones when making a low volume patch?

so by already have the full dynamics range of frequency in the chosen headphones you have a lot more flexibility

I use headphones almost exclusively with my Axe-FX if I'm not playing a gig. I use Shure SRH-840s which seem to translate well. They're supposedly neutral-ish headphones geared towards mixing and I've had no issues. One thing that makes playing with them on enjoyable is putting a reverb at the end of the signal chain that's 100% wet and use something like Large Room as the preset. The ambiance it creates is really inspiring, for me anyway.

I use headphones almost exclusively with my Axe-FX if I'm not playing a gig. I use Shure SRH-840s which seem to translate well. They're supposedly neutral-ish headphones geared towards mixing and I've had no issues. One thing that makes playing with them on enjoyable is putting a reverb at the end of the signal chain that's 100% wet and use something like Large Room as the preset. The ambiance it creates is really inspiring, for me anyway.

Are close backs or open?

I was told this are good are they?
Shure SRH1840

I have the 840's, not the 1840s. I'm sure the 1840's are MUCH better. Shure headphones seem to be good all around so I'm confident those would do well for you.

Back
Top Bottom