About amp modeling updates

It appears there are things they are still working on for the Axe III like Axe Edit and the FC controllers that would naturally occupy their time and take precedence over working on any major "improvements" to their latest model.

All I want is a Klon and then I'll be happy... Until the next thing I want :D

I'm pretty amazed by how frequently the unit gets updated. Haveing come from the Helix with it's once every 6 months or so updates, this is blowing me away. Honestly, I think I found myself annoyed the other day! Like, I had to update Fractal Bot to update the Axe Fx III and then I had to update Axe Edit III in order to use everything. While I found myself annoyed at having to do all the updates, it was awesome knowing there's so much constant attention paid to this product! I'm so glad I took the plunge and got me an Axe Fx :)

But yeah; if this had a Klon and a KoT/Pantheon/Rafferty King of Clone, then I wouldn't have to use any outboard gear... which I guess would mean all my ins and outs would go to waste lol!

I still don't understand why they don't add a Klawn model as a drive type, is it just stubbornness? Yes I know you can tweak and get the sound, yes I remember RR, but there are some boutique drives in there already, why not add? Seems like a glaring omission.

Even if they add one people will still complain or say it’s based off the wrong diodes, or sounds “wrong”. Just can’t win with those things and it’s why there are a ton of Klones as is becasue one person thinks a mythical OD vintage spec doesn’t sound as good as a Tumnus, and other thinks the Centura sounds spot on, while another says it doesn’t sound like the one they used to own, and someone else likes the Soul Food etc etc.

If we need to have 50 different takes on it with the Klone market, how is one setting in the drive block really going to make everyone happy?

If we need to have 50 different takes on it with the Klone market, how is one setting in the drive block really going to make everyone happy?
Ask Line 6 how they managed :)

Yes I know you can tweak and get the sound,

This seems to be what people say, but I haven't had any luck following any of the recipes. That's the problem. The closest you can approximate is the klon as a clean boost; and even that is somewhat iffy. Anyway, I'll drop it since i know for some reason it's a taboo subject around here ;)

I'm pretty amazed by how frequently the unit gets updated. Haveing come from the Helix with it's once every 6 months or so updates, this is blowing me away. Honestly, I think I found myself annoyed the other day! Like, I had to update Fractal Bot to update the Axe Fx III and then I had to update Axe Edit III in order to use everything. While I found myself annoyed at having to do all the updates, it was awesome knowing there's so much constant attention paid to this product! I'm so glad I took the plunge and got me an Axe Fx :)

I couldn't agree more.

We are truly living in an amazing era with all the options available in this unit (as it is right now). The best music ever made was done with far less equipment than is available in the AxeIII. Personally, if this thing never got upgraded at all I'd be happy. After all there's enough in it to keep the best guitar player on earth busy for a long time.

Frankly, if one feels the need for more gear with this unit & its capabilities, it's time to start concentrating on playing music rather than playing with the gear.

Last edited:
We are only on Firmware 1.xx Ares!
I am loving all the improvements made in firmware 1.xx.
Being close to amp modeling nirvana, I would like to see at some point a few amp/effect parameters added that allow unique non traditional musical adjustments that are not possible in the analogue world(surprise us).
Also, a hybrid modifier say combining pitch follower/envelope follower or the ability to ad a modifier to a modifier parameter etc.

Being close to amp modeling nirvana, I would like to see at some point a few amp/effect parameters added that allow unique non traditional musical adjustments that are not possible in the analogue world(surprise us).
We already have that. Example: try putting the tone stack at the end of the amp model. Do that in real life, and you'll destroy your amp. :)

Also, a hybrid modifier say combining pitch follower/envelope follower or the ability to ad a modifier to a modifier parameter etc.
We have that, too. Example: tie the Envelope Follower to the sequencer Rate.

I think the modelling has completely changed with Ares, so maybe the other changes are just catching up?

I went from a AX8 to the III and the difference in amp modelling is night and day

this kind of boggles my mind. there are some people who say that using the same settings they are mostly the same.

this kind of boggles my mind. there are some people who say that using the same settings they are mostly the same.

Most of the people who say that don’t have a III...... obviously there is some confirmation bIas, don’t want your $2500 new toy to sound no different than your old toy lol, but realistically, I’ve not seen anyone with a III say it sounds the same.

I a/b’d with my Ax8 for about 30 minutes and quickly sold the ax8. The III just sounded ‘better’, felt more dynamic etc in every setting. Deluxe reverb patch, 100 watt plexi patch etc, just spot on, zero tweaking.

Latest updates to II and Ax8 may have helped, as no one seemed to say those units didn’t improve at least a little, can’t say for certain as I sold mine prior to those coming out.

Leon made a great video when he got his III as to what he felt was better coming from his Ax8, it’s a really honest assessment and good viewing if your still on the fence.

While the II and Ax8 are great sounding units, after playing my III for just a few days, I had zero desire to ever go back to a II again. The sound, the interface etc, it just spoils you lol.

All I want is a Klon and then I'll be happy... Until the next thing I want :D

But yeah; if this had a Klon and a KoT/Pantheon/Rafferty King of Clone, then I wouldn't have to use any outboard gear... which I guess would mean all my ins and outs would go to waste lol!

Milo to the rescue-

With Graphic EQ option on the drive block - I bet we can get closer but a generic Klon model should be added since that is a big request and has been for a while now.

With Graphic EQ option on the drive block - I bet we can get closer but a generic Klon model should be added since that is a big request and has been for a while now.

If I was Cliff, I’d copy an existing drive model, change the name, add it to a new firmware, and sit back and laugh reading posts about how people can “finally” get all the tones they’ve been missing lol

If I was Cliff, I’d copy an existing drive model, change the name, add it to a new firmware, and sit back and laugh reading posts about how people can “finally” get all the tones they’ve been missing lol
I'd be fine with that. 99% of the magic of the Klon is psychological anyway. I have no illusion that my preferences are based on pixie dust and fairies and unicorns :D

EDIT: As an aside, if that's all it would take to make SO many people happy, why not do it? We're Americans! We love being fooled into believing we're being given what we want lol!

We already have that. Example: try putting the tone stack at the end of the amp model. Do that in real life, and you'll destroy your amp. :)

We have that, too. Example: tie the Envelope Follower to the sequencer Rate.
I would like to see these expanded and more user friendly but yes, that is in the direction I would like to see.

Most of the people who say that don’t have a III...... obviously there is some confirmation bIas, don’t want your $2500 new toy to sound no different than your old toy lol, but realistically, I’ve not seen anyone with a III say it sounds the same.

I a/b’d with my Ax8 for about 30 minutes and quickly sold the ax8. The III just sounded ‘better’, felt more dynamic etc in every setting. Deluxe reverb patch, 100 watt plexi patch etc, just spot on, zero tweaking.

Latest updates to II and Ax8 may have helped, as no one seemed to say those units didn’t improve at least a little, can’t say for certain as I sold mine prior to those coming out.

Leon made a great video when he got his III as to what he felt was better coming from his Ax8, it’s a really honest assessment and good viewing if your still on the fence.

While the II and Ax8 are great sounding units, after playing my III for just a few days, I had zero desire to ever go back to a II again. The sound, the interface etc, it just spoils you lol.

I do have both, and I can make them sound the same, as far as I don't use exotic features (CAB preamp, etc).

Yes, there are nuances that one can feel as a player, but I bet you to differentiate them in a recorded mix or in the context of a live band (again, I am talking about basic tones and shared features, no tri-chorus, etc)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom