About amp modeling updates

Brick_top

Power User
Hi, Maybe I'm wrong but have amp modeling updates mostly stopped?
I still don't have my Axe-fx III but I have been reading the firmware updates release notes and don't think I see updates on the amp modeling side and that was a big part of the updates from the axe-fx II era.

Maybe the amps are so good now that cliff still hasn't figured a way to make them better?

What do you guys think?

PS - In case I have read the release notes correctly

Edit - This is not a complaint

Last edited:
I think the modelling has completely changed with Ares, so maybe the other changes are just catching up?

I went from a AX8 to the III and the difference in amp modelling is night and day

Is has not stopped. The latest firmware features, for example, the option to choose between FRFR output mode and power amp+cab output mode.

Is has not stopped. The latest firmware features, for example, the option to choose between FRFR output mode and power amp+cab output mode.

Sorry for my ignorance but I didn't think that this had anything to do with "better" amp modeling.

Sorry for my ignorance but I didn't think that this had anything to do with "better" amp modeling.

It has to do with how the amp and the speaker interact I believe, so yes it's affects the sound and feel, I haven't had time to mess with 1.17 yet though.

There are a lot of things going on to get the FC's launched, so it's eating time. I'm sure things will continue moving forward.

The New amp models have slowed for a while even in the prior units
But the actual updates are pretty frequent w the 3
Things like reverb compressor
EQs are getting the most love right
Now

The New amp models have slowed for a while even in the prior units
But the actual updates are pretty frequent w the 3
Things like reverb compressor
EQs are getting the most love right
Now

I din't meant number of amps, I was talking about amp modeling.

Come on now folks, we can’t expect a major X.xx level update every few weeks, the III hasn’t even been out very long. I think there has been a fantastic level of updates in my time owning it so far, and over the years I’ll have it I’m sure there will be lots of cool stuff.

Maybe in a few years we will be on Ares 10.xx or so, maybe something totally new, but I certainly didn’t/don’t expect that in a few short months of ownership we should already be on FW3.xx

I feel some people have this attitude like “hey it’s Friday, Cliff what did you do to make it better this week?” Lol

Come on now folks, we can’t expect a major X.xx level update every few weeks, the III hasn’t even been out very long. I think there has been a fantastic level of updates in my time owning it so far, and over the years I’ll have it I’m sure there will be lots of cool stuff.

Maybe in a few years we will be on Ares 10.xx or so, maybe something totally new, but I certainly didn’t/don’t expect that in a few short months of ownership we should already be on FW3.xx

I feel some people have this attitude like “hey it’s Friday, Cliff what did you do to make it better this week?” Lol

I wasn't asking for anything.

Just noticed that amp modeling updates aren't as frequent as they were in the axe-fx II era. And I was wondering why.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I wasn't asking for anything.

Just noticed that amp modeling updates aren't as frequent as they were in the axe-fx II era. And I was wondering why.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

You can’t base future expectations upon past performance though.

Between when I bought my first HDTV and today the price has dropped massively and screen have gotten much larger. By that same logic though, it would be silly to think in 5 more years screens will be 184” and cost $99.

We went from putting a man in space to the moon is a very short time. Didn’t mean we’d go from the moon to mars in an equally short time period.

The first few years of the II saw some major breakthroughs in modeling, and drastic improvements. As that platform was refined, the updates were less significant. The III already sounds and feels fantastic, there simply isn’t going to be as many “night and day” improvements IMO.

You yourself said there isn’t anything you can think of that needs improving even, so what should Cliff be working on ?

We don’t want him to give us BS placebo updates saying it adds “feel” and “harmonic richness” when he didn’t really do anything, do we?

If he can make it better, he does, and he’s honest with what he does, which I think is the best policy.

Between when I bought my first HDTV and today the price has dropped massively and screen have gotten much larger. By that same logic though, it would be silly to think in 5 more years screens will be 184” and cost $99.

We went from putting a man in space to the moon is a very short time. Didn’t mean we’d go from the moon to mars in an equally short time period.

The first few years of the II saw some major breakthroughs in modeling, and drastic improvements. As that platform was refined, the updates were less significant. The III already sounds and feels fantastic, there simply isn’t going to be as many “night and day” improvements IMO.

You yourself said there isn’t anything you can think of that needs improving even, so what should Cliff be working on ?

We don’t want him to give us BS placebo updates saying it adds “feel” and “harmonic richness” when he didn’t really do anything, do we?

If he can make it better, he does, and he’s honest with what he does, which I think is the best policy.

I'm not expecting anything, as I said I was just wondering. In the end it doesn't matter, apparently only Cliff knows if he can improve or if it is needed.

No. And I don't think he ever did that.

Not saying there isn't any room for improvement, but the amp modeling is pretty damn close. I would be perfectly happy if any future improvements would be more effects and maybe a few new amp models. Archon, hint, hint.

Yes and that is a fair thing to say IMO. But meaningless to firmware development.

Updates are so quick I can’t even keep up. I think I’m still on 1.14 cause havent had time to update. 1.17 is calling to me though.

Back
Top Bottom