Ableton Live as a looper?

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
I've been thinking about getting a stand alone looper but what about using Ableton (PC)? Is it hard to use or limited? I also like the idea of using VST plugins in real time but don't want something so complicated it'll take forever to learn.
If you use Ableton what is the best small usb interface that performs well with a laptop or tablet PC? or should I just get a stand alone looper in the $500ish range?

TIA..............Donnie

Ableton is neither hard nor limited. I use it as my main daw and never feel that it places limitations on what I'm able to do with it compared with other daws, while it does allow me to do things that are much more complicated with others. I'm not sure it's the best solution for simply looping. I'd really need to know more about how you specifically want to use it.

Do you want to record the loops live and play them back immediately?
Do you need to be able to control all the looping parameters with your feet so that your hands stay free for your guitar?

I used it as a looper with an fcb1010... It's definitely not limiting. But there was (for me) a steep learning curve if you are using an unsupported controller like I was. Took some time to find the midi script for the controller, but it worked great once I found one (and made some tweaks to it). I think this was it: http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/fcb1010-mappings/

I have a PC tablet and wonder if its possible to record loops live via usb and playback from the AxeII as a soundcard, and control them from my mfc. It would be great to use vst plugs for realtime effects on the loops also, but I'm not sure the tablet is powerful enough.

Back
Top Bottom