Ableton and Axe...monitoring latency

xarkon

Experienced
FIXED: Ableton and Axe...monitoring latency

Sorry for the dumb question...

So, I can remove the echo in Ableton monitoring by disabling software monitoring for the track.

But if I try to record against a click, then review the track, there is an obvious lag from the beat to my playing.

If I record the same bit in another DAW such as Reaper, where I don't need to disable monitoring, playing is on the beat.

So there must be a latency issue. Ableton provides a field below the track strip to enter a correction value. The question...what is the correct value?

I could look at a sample track and try to guess, but it seems that there is probably a more precise way to do this.

TIA.

Dave

Last edited:
Sorry for the dumb question...

So, I can remove the echo in Ableton monitoring by disabling software monitoring for the track.

But if I try to record against a click, then review the track, there is an obvious lag from the beat to my playing.

If I record the same bit in another DAW such as Reaper, where I don't need to disable monitoring, playing is on the beat.

So there must be a latency issue. Ableton provides a field below the track strip to enter a correction value. The question...what is the correct value?

I could look at a sample track and try to guess, but it seems that there is probably a more precise way to do this.

TIA.

Dave

Are you sure you've selected the Axe FX as your audio driver in Ableton?

Fixed.

But it wasn't selection of the Axe as the audio driver; that was already figured out.

I was using the wrong button to disable monitoring...(note to self: RTFM). Instead, I was "muting" which meant I heard only the direct.

Using the correct buttons now (In, Auto, Off).

Whats your latency in ableton? And what are ur axe fx driver settings? Im an ableton user myself.

Whats your latency in ableton? And what are ur axe fx driver settings? Im an ableton user myself.

None now, with the correct monitoring config. (Or at least not enought to make a difference.) I have not checked the settings (buffer, etc.).

I do get occasional errors when Ableton reports that it can't find an audio driver, and I have to reset it to the Axe. This never happens with my Digi 003 rack.

Back
Top Bottom