Wish Ability to route MIDI to/from USB

I'm surprised there hasn't been any response on this one at all, in either direction. I'd love to get this implemented, but at least I'd think they would correct the manual!

Right now, it's self-contradictory (right now page 18 clearly states that "MIDI-over-USB performs the same functions as regular 5-pin MIDI, only faster." Later on p. 130 it says "The Scene MIDI block is unlike other blocks in that instead of processing audio, it transmits MIDI messages through the MIDI OUT port of the Axe-Fx III," which some have interpreted to mean not through the MIDI-over-USB that page 18 says performs the same functions as MIDI OUT.).

Modus Ponens for all you logic lovers!
P. 18: "midi signal leaves via MIDI OUT port" ⇒ "midi signal also leaves 10x faster via USB"
P. 130: "Scene MIDI block sends midi signal via MIDI OUT port"
Therefore: "midi signal also leaves 10x faster via USB"

I hate to beat a dead horse--page 18 of the manual literally tipped the scale for me to buy the Axe FX. I knew that the Axe FXIII would sound better than the Helix Rack I was considering, but with how often I set up and tear down, I "had" to be sure the Axe FX would also keep a simple workflow for me as I control Ableton, etc. Page 18 answered that for me. Unambiguously.

So here I am, setting up and tearing down an AKAI MPK 225 between the MIDI din out on the Axe FX and the USB in on my Macbook. I tried a couple of straight MIDI-to-USB converters, and they both locked up periodically. I have to be able to rely on the solution just "working," since I'm talking to 400-600 people while trying to cue the band to cue the band to start with my foot! I can't just say, "hang on a sec while I reset my midi interface!"

I'm surprised there hasn't been any response on this one at all, in either direction. I'd love to get this implemented, but at least I'd think they would correct the manual!

Right now, it's self-contradictory (right now page 18 clearly states that "MIDI-over-USB performs the same functions as regular 5-pin MIDI, only faster." Later on p. 130 it says "The Scene MIDI block is unlike other blocks in that instead of processing audio, it transmits MIDI messages through the MIDI OUT port of the Axe-Fx III," which some have interpreted to mean not through the MIDI-over-USB that page 18 says performs the same functions as MIDI OUT.).

Modus Ponens for all you logic lovers!
P. 18: "midi signal leaves via MIDI OUT port" ⇒ "midi signal also leaves 10x faster via USB"
P. 130: "Scene MIDI block sends midi signal via MIDI OUT port"
Therefore: "midi signal also leaves 10x faster via USB"

I hate to beat a dead horse--page 18 of the manual literally tipped the scale for me to buy the Axe FX. I knew that the Axe FXIII would sound better than the Helix Rack I was considering, but with how often I set up and tear down, I "had" to be sure the Axe FX would also keep a simple workflow for me as I control Ableton, etc. Page 18 answered that for me. Unambiguously.

So here I am, setting up and tearing down an AKAI MPK 225 between the MIDI din out on the Axe FX and the USB in on my Macbook. I tried a couple of straight MIDI-to-USB converters, and they both locked up periodically. I have to be able to rely on the solution just "working," since I'm talking to 400-600 people while trying to cue the band to cue the band to start with my foot! I can't just say, "hang on a sec while I reset my midi interface!"

Your not alone.

Given the new product announcement, and the Boston axefest this weekend, I would think Cliff has a pretty full plate right now. Hopefully, we can get an update on this soon. Further, since this thread is now three pages long and he hasn’t shot it down outright, I’m optimistic.

+1

I don't own the Axe FX III yet but the only reason I don't is because of my perception of the midi over USB limitations. My understanding is that it can receive midi over usb but not send. Is that correct? Or is it just that it won't send midi over USB with a scene change but I could in fact send direct midi messages that I activate via an FC footswitch?

I find it a little confusing and since I don't own one yet I can't do any testing. I will buy the Axe FX tomorrow if there is the right Midi over USB capabilities.

Basically I want it to receive midi CC and PG changes from my ipad over USB (which I'm pretty sure isn't a problem) but also be able to send midi messages to my ipad over the same usb cable to control Bandhelper. Things like choose next song, previous song, restart etc in bandhelper. I currently do this with my Helix using note numbers, I send a midi note number and Bandhelper is set up to able to read the note number and respond with a command.

If anyone can help clarify this it would be very helpful... Thanks

Last edited:
re: my post above, i pulled the trigger and got the axe fx iii and an fc-6. I love the sound of it... it’s really unbelievable in that regard. The insufficient midi over usb means, for now, I’ll have to figure out some alternative if I want to use it live. I need integration with my iPad and my tc-helicon voice live rack. the Axe FX receives midi over usb but it doesn’t seem to even pass that midi data to the midi though. SO ... it kind of ramps up my wish list for the midi over usb. Not just to and from but pass the messages to the midi din ports as well. And while we are at it, since the USB port on the FC footswitches is for future use (2020 seems pretty futuristic to me)... how about using it to pass midi data through the fc to the axe fx iii. It would be my dream. Since my iPad is on my mic stand. USB cable from iPad to FC-6. Midi goes to and from ipad to axe FX via usb cable and FASLINK. Then if the axe fx can pass the midi info that it receives over usb to the midi din ports it’s just one midi cable from the midi out or through of axe FX III to the midi in on voice live rack. Simple and easy and all the functionality i need for live shows.

+1

I always record two tracks at the DAW: one wet and one dry for reamp. I would like to record a MIDI track following the Axe-FX WAH exp pedal, so I can send it back to the Axe-FX to recreate the WAH when reamping

+1 for needing to send Midi info from axe 3 to computer via usb!! Being able to send a midi note opposed to just cc messages would be awesome too

Back
Top Bottom