Wish Ability to route MIDI to/from USB

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
Basically, my request is for a reincarnation of the II’s USB Adapter mode, plus interaction with the Scene MIDI block and the Control Switch MIDI functionality.

Since a lot of outboard gear these days may be software, I desperately need my footswitch to control Ableton and some other stuff, and also send MIDI to some “old-fashioned” devices via DIN connectors.

Would be really cool with the new FC layout options if we could maybe set up one for transport controls of a DAW over USB midi, so we could do things like start recording while standing at our FC, guitar in hand, stop, playback etc

Likewise, play back some backing tracks, intro music etc using the FC, or even cooler, if we could have it output midi notes, turn it into a 6 or 12 note foot pedal unit, playing a VST synth

Would be really cool with the new FC layout options if we could maybe set up one for transport controls of a DAW over USB midi, so we could do things like start recording while standing at our FC, guitar in hand, stop, playback etc

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing with MFC and Axe-FX II, so that’s not something that’s a new possible feature in FC controllers.

In fact, I’m using an MFC connected to my XL+, which is connected to my computer, which than translates MFC messages and sends back to the III. So my XL+ acts as a glorified 2U adapter for the III. Which is of course ultimately stupid.

"The MIDI block only sends data out the MIDI Out DIN jack. It does NOT send to the USB. The purpose of the MIDI block is to control other equipment in you rack via standard MIDI."

I would agree that having it go to BOTH the usb AND the Din would make the most sense to me.

An example I could use is setting up a whammy with an expression pedal and recording my pedal movements into my daw to then automate after that. I can't do it without a seperate usb to midi adapter. :(

So, now that the beast is out, can anyone please confirm or deny that Control switches cannot send data over USB?

Midi block should not matter when it comes to passing midi in to usb midi out

I guess the point here is that FCs don't really send any MIDI, it's generated on Axe-FX. But only sent to DIN jacks for whatever reason.

Seems like a weird omission, I just can't recall a single device with USB MIDI capabilities that has such a limitation.

I guess the point here is that FCs don't really send any MIDI, it's generated on Axe-FX. But only sent to DIN jacks for whatever reason.

Seems like a weird omission, I just can't recall a single device with USB MIDI capabilities that has such a limitation.

On my axe fx 2 I can plug a midi controller into it and the midi in is echoed to the usb midi out. Very nice.

Axe fx 3, notta.

So like poster above, I am turning on my axefx 2 and plugging in the mfc and then going usb into pc, using midi ox to take axe 2 midi in and send to axe 3.

Now as I do my thing with the foot controller I can RECORD THE MIDI in my daw and automate my midi.

Is this doable Cliff? (Usb midi through from din in and midi through from usb to din out?

Last edited:
+1

Bought a decent USB-MIDI cable, but if I have it and the AxeIII sharing a USB port on my laptop, I occasionally lose connection to the AxeIII in AxeEdit... Having USB-MIDI drivers work out of the box like they did on the II would be nice

Back
Top Bottom