ABCD - Amp Block Choice Dilemma

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
With so much choice of amp blocks in the Axe-FX II, choosing gets harder with each firmware upgrade.
I want a simple bank for live use with 5 amps:
  • clean
  • low gain
  • dirty
  • mid gain
  • high gain
I want a bank with eight amps of each category for recording purposes and to be able to try some different amps on the fly.
So I started categorizing the amp blocks.
Then I started choosing eight amp blocks for each category.
I do this by using reamping in Reaper.
This is very easy. I make regions, named after the amp blocks and insert a midi track to automatically switch presets.
I record a guitar piece, trim it to the length of the regions, copy it to all regions.
Then I record the clips of the various amp blocks using reamping.
Next I render the clips.
In Reaper, there's an option to automatically split the clips and name them using wildcards & user defined fields.
This is the same method I used for recording the clips for the amp list for the latest firmware releases.
I've done the first three and have now arrived at the mid gain amps.
I used the same cab for all amp blocks - one from the Ownhammer Mix collection, a V32 with a R121.
So I thought this would bring out the difference in the amp blocks.
I recorded the first clip with my Blue Pointy Thing, a superstrat model with a JB Humbucker.
To my surprise, except for a few amps, most sounded remarkably similar.
So I had to look for other ways to differentiate between the amps.
One thing I look for in a mid gain amp is a full rhythm sound with the guitar full on, but a sound that cleans up nice when turning down the volume.
So next I recorded a clip with the volume on my guitar way down.
I noticed two things,
Not every amp cleans up as nice or the same even though you can hardly hear any difference with the volume full on
Some amps sound louder than others even though they sound just as clean.
So now I had something to work with.
Next I tried with a strat with the volume on about 7, because it cleans up faster.
So I found some remarkable results.
But I'm not there yet.
I can understand why guitarists keep gassing for amps.
I do it to, but it's all in one box :encouragement:

To be continued

To my surprise, except for a few amps, most sounded remarkably similar.

When the same IR is used, this has definitely been my experience with high gain tones, ESPECIALLY in the mix. Change the amp and there's very little difference. Change the IR, huge difference.

This is precisely why I don't understand why so many people fuss over the amps so much. The IR makes up your tone for the most part.

As I'm trying to prove, thee difference is more in the dynamics and response from the amp when lowering the volume on the guitar, than in the overall sound.
But this is something you won't notice as much as changing an IR, when playing with the volume full on.

As I'm trying to prove, thee difference is more in the dynamics and response from the amp when lowering the volume on the guitar, than in the overall sound.
But this is something you won't notice as much as changing an IR, when playing with the volume full on.

Right thar with you MisterE - the Axe FX offers great feel and unparalleled dynamic response.

There is nothing like riding a response wave with your guitar volume around 2-3 with the power amp cookin'!

You get a clean response when you attack softly and an increasingly biting response the more you dig in.

Another factor is obviously the pickups... I would think a lower output pickup would tend to have a more varied response, similar to rolling back the volume on a higher output one.

The proof is in the pudding...
Here are some zip files with the various tone tests.
I used MediaMonkey to create a playlist with each set and arranged them according to which I liked the most.
I also used MM's volume leveling to check which lost most volume and arranged them accordingly.
Mid Gain Amps - Superstrat
Mid Gain Amps - Superstrat - Clean-up test
Mid Gain Amps - Strat vol @ 7
Mid Gain Amps - Strat 5 positions

This is on my Google Drive.
if you click on a link, it'll open the zip file.
But in the top right corner, you click on "File" and download the zip-file

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom