Aaron Marshall (Intervals) Rig Rundown - Axe-Fx III content

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
He goes into great detail on his midi programming, dialing in tones, etc... Pretty awesome! Fractal Audio discussion starts around the 20 minute mark, video below will start when he starts talking about his Axe-Fx III.

I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube to seek out their content after watching this last night. Good timing because I found myself thinking the state of music is so poor. Watching them changed my mind. Prog isn’t really my bag, but I enjoyed everything I’ve seen so far. Great example of how far the AX3 can go

I've started using automatic presets & controls changing in live concerts with my band back in early 2000s.
My rig was a complex system with 16 analog pedals switching, digital processors, amp switching, big foot controller, all entirely sync'd with the show.

Our show was entirely pre-programed, timecode for lights, DAW automation for vocals FX, special FX in surround sound, sync'd movie at screen, and so on.... all controlled by a master computer running Nuendo. That computer had a hard time... and that freaked me out. :coldsweat:

AFAIK, pro bands wasn't doing that level of integration at that time, and I understand why... technology wasn't that good yet. They don't like to take unnecessary risks and they had crew enough to do all that manually anyway.

Nowadays, everything is easier and reliable. Faster computers, better softwares, easier and reliable connections.
It's nice to see that finally happen widely, but it's not a "new" thing anymore...

I think what he's saying is absolutely true. You have to treat the modeler like you're dialing in your tone on a real amp / pedal board / cab.
The issue I have is, I've never owned a real tube amp or a good pedalboard. Before getting an AxeFX Ultra a long time ago, I had only used a Line6 spyder.

Navigating the amp settings and dialing in the perfect tone is still tough for me, because I don't have that previous amp and pedal knowledge.
For example, I had no idea about the difference between 6L6s and EL34s. How do you even learn this stuff?

The AxeFX III is a pretty good platform to experiment though.

I've heard of his band Intervals before but had never taken the time to seek out their music. I checked them out on the YouTubes and they're great! He's clearly a very intelligent chap with an interesting musical vision and the talent to execute it.

I've heard of his band Intervals before but had never taken the time to seek out their music. I checked them out on the YouTubes and they're great! He's clearly a very intelligent chap with an interesting musical vision and the talent to execute it.
I've seen Intervals a couple of times live. Great show, chops, and of course TONE.

I had never seen many of his interviews so this was a cool video of him describing the process and setup.

Back
Top Bottom