Aaron Marshall Intervals Mid-gain Tone

NickCapp

Inspired
Hello all,

I am in the process of learning some songs from Interval's The Shape of Colour album and I am having a hard time getting a similar tone to the very beginning of the song "I'm Awake".

I am using my Suhr Modern and have tried in both the humbucking and split coil positions on the bridge. I think this was recorded with his PRS in a split coil setting. I started with dialing back the input gain and/or input trim on amps I like such as the HBE's, BE's, and the Corncob. Then I tried boosting cleaner amps - which sort of got flubby?

I'm not sure exactly what Aaron uses as far as amp block goes on his Axe-Fx, but I know he has used a ton of different gear over the past few years. As far as cabs go, I am using IRs that have similar speakers to the cabs he uses live which are generally loaded with a V30 and a Creamback speaker.

I don't care to copy it exactly, but I just am finding it hard to get a mid-gain tone that maintains the definition needed for metal riffing? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

He'll talk about his tone on Instagram every so often and he says his rhythm tone is the 50 watt plexi with a compressor up front and that's it. Position 2 for the twangy stuff

He'll talk about his tone on Instagram every so often and he says his rhythm tone is the 50 watt plexi with a compressor up front and that's it. Position 2 for the twangy stuff

Thanks, I will try that out. Sometimes there are so many amps in here that I just don't know where to go. I just re-downloaded Yek's amp model PDF so that I can read up on some things I haven't tried out yet.

Thanks, I will try that out. Sometimes there are so many amps in here that I just don't know where to go. I just re-downloaded Yek's amp model PDF so that I can read up on some things I haven't tried out yet.
Yeah there's definitely a bunch of ways to get from point a to b, I remember him saying the key to it for him was balancing the 2 gain knobs the right way but didn't get less crypric than that

Haha, okay cool. Thanks for the information. I will try to post a clip if I am able to get any closer. I was just browsing the Yek PDF and realized I forgot about the Friedman Smallbox too - I will give that a try as well.

ok, went through his youtube and he used nick johnston's BE100 to reamp tones for the shape of color. oops!

He's so awesome. Intervals is coming with Nick Johnston about 3 hours from me in a few weeks, but I don't think I'm going to get to go.

He's probably my favorite guitarist/composer around, everything he plays and comes up with is so damn tasty I feel like I need to drop what I'm doing and start practicing whenever I hear him lmao

I can say with first hand experience that he's using the BE-100 and Dirty Shirley models on this current tour. Didn't get into what IR's, but the ML mesa or djent packs should cover you there and honestly if you odnt have them, you should buy them anyway (they're that great). Cheers!

I can say with first hand experience that he's using the BE-100 and Dirty Shirley models on this current tour. Didn't get into what IR's, but the ML mesa or djent packs should cover you there and honestly if you odnt have them, you should buy them anyway (they're that great). Cheers!

Awesome. I do have those IR's. I was reading somewhere that he uses real cabs live for stage volume at least - not sure if he is going direct or micing cabs like he was a few years ago. He has custom Mesa cabs with V30 and cream back right now.

Caught me.
Dirty Shirley, pos 1,2,&4 on your modern, and you’re money. He posted his power block settings today in case you’re going to chase it that far.

Thanks! I don’t plan to play through guitar cabs anytime soon but maybe eventually. Currently awaiting a custom Xitone 1x12 after using an Alto TS112A for the last few years.

Thanks! I don’t plan to play through guitar cabs anytime soon but maybe eventually. Currently awaiting a custom Xitone 1x12 after using an Alto TS112A for the last few years.
This is going to sound crazy, but I run out from the axefx, into two graphic eq’s And then into the power amp of a 50w dumble Clone and a 100w superlead. Still use power amp modeling and ir’s

he recently uses the Friedman amp inside the Axe Fx with not much gain.
I think the tone in the begging of the song is mostly with his Guitar, He uses the Half tone of the bridge pickup.

I played this bands song the other day, If it'll help, I'll be happy to send the patches. I think I'll work with I'M AWAKE too.

Back
Top Bottom