Aaarghhh - The nasty 'Uses global blocks' bug is back!

as i understand it, the block wasn't a Global Block at all?

Neither were any of mine it's happened to (I don't use global blocks). When the bug shows up though, there's a message on the patch's title screen to hit Enter to unlink the offending block.

I've been using the "magic black box" since 2011 and it's on;y happened once, 3 years ago at a gig.

So ... for those who have experienced this (I haven't - and don't want to - especially at a gig) how many modifiers are being used in your affected Preset? (... and how many are controlled simultaneously by a single EXP pedal?). CPU usage of Preset maybe too?

I just had this happen to me for the first time on my Mark II. Q8.01. Updated to 8.02 and still have the same result. Preset looks normal on Axe-Edit until you look at the Amp block, which has lost its parameters and has reverted to the default 59 BASSGUY model. It also has no global block usage whatsoever. Very strange. When I try to unlink the global block like it suggests, the whole unit locks up and the screen goes blank.

I just had this happen to me for the first time on my Mark II. Q8.01. Updated to 8.02 and still have the same result. Preset looks normal on Axe-Edit until you look at the Amp block, which has lost its parameters and has reverted to the default 59 BASSGUY model. It also has no global block usage whatsoever. Very strange. When I try to unlink the global block like it suggests, the whole unit locks up and the screen goes blank.
can you please upload the preset?

Please find the preset attached.

Funnily, it does not say 'uses global blocks' anymore when I recall it. I swear I have not touched anything since Friday night's gig. This is a very strange bug indeed. Hopefully someone can reproduce and remedy it...

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Acst3MGain1 (1).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
i have run 20 presets with all global blocks being use on everything, for 2 years. always current firmware. Using a controller on the wah effect. Neve had an issue like this.

I also use global blocks, but never had a problem with it (except when new factory cabs were added to the FW, but that's a different story).
Since @Tommy Tempest had the theory of a memory overload, it would be interesting to know if everybody who had this problem uses an Mark I/II or an XL/XL+. The XL/XL+ feature "Double-capacity preset size"
If it's indeed a memory thing, problably Cliff can add some kind of memory usage indicator (similar to the CPU load).

That would be great. I use a MkI, so it could indeed be a memory problem. However, it is strange that the bug does not occur every time the preset is recalled?

i have run 20 presets with all global blocks being use on everything, for 2 years. always current firmware. Using a controller on the wah effect. Neve had an issue like this.

As stated in the OP, global blocks were NOT used.

Some more information about where this bug could have come from?
What's your midi setup? Is it the MFC only? Is there any other midi unit sending something? And are there presets that are done with AE or any 3rd party editor?
Do you send a PC command only when changing presets or is there a sequence of commands or do you move a pedal in the moment when changing the preset?
Do you use scene controllers?
Did you ever use a global amp block reset function?
Do you use the volume up/down command (cc35/36) which saves the presets every step and do you manually bypass blocks during shows?
Was the voltage too low when it happened?
Did you ever backed up and restored the presets with the internal memory?
Is the preset an old one from an older FW version and has is not been resaved since?

You get the point...there's many things to consider and check.

First of all, thank you very much for looking into this and helping me out. I'll try and answer your questions as follows:

Midi Setup: lately I use OnSong on iPad which I control wirelessly via MFC. A PC command is sent to the AxeFX which relays it to OnSong via MidiThrough which then calls a new lyrics sheet and sends a command to the AxeFx to load the corresponding preset.
When I first mused about this setup I thought that there may be room for occurring midi mixups. On second thought, though, I am positive that the 'uses global blocks' bug occurred way before I started using OnSong or the iPad. Therefore I tend to rule it out as the culprit.

Editors: I only use the front panel and AE exclusively. Oh, and FractalBot of course.

GlobalAmpBlock Reset: to be honest I wouldn't even know that such a function exists, therefore I'd say I've never used it.

Scene Controllers: there are no SC used.

Cc35/36: never used.

Manual block bypass: yes, i do use it, mainly by using a foot pedal or by switching scenes.

Voltage: should be no issue being in Europe. Never ever has.

Internal backup: I use this function every time after rechecking all presets and making sure they work all right. This is kind of my failsafe for a show - however, last time it didn't work since the bug persisted even after I restored the presets from onboard memory.

The preset was originally created several firmwares ago. However, since I had some problems with that particular preset before, I completely erased it using AE and built it from scratch on Q8.01. However, I had the bug occurring on other presets before, too, which have been originally created pre-Quantum and adapted since.

I hope this helps finding the source of the bug. Thank you very much.

For me this only happens on very large presets, I truly believe it is a CPU issue and not related directly to global blocks. It never happens to presets under 85%

Had a strange issue last night during rehearsal. A few patches I use are 93% CPU (cannot use them with USB connected) and almost all of these had volume problems (usually at 0 and then once at -9 to -15dB. One even had the amp on bypass. Also the (fixed) tap tempo of one of my patches had changed, very shitty to discover when playing a song based on sequencer...
Had some issuea 6 months ago nothing happened since a long time. During the last connection to PC (Last Saturday) through Axe Edit I regularly had to restart the PC after a blue screen on the PC related to Axe Edit use in conjunction with USB and CPU Overload.
Try to pack up as much as possible in patches in order to prevent spillover issues, but will have to revise that way of programming.

Back
Top Bottom