• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

    Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Aaarghhh - The nasty 'Uses global blocks' bug is back!

guitardoc

Experienced
At last night's gig I realised that the volume of one particular preset was different from when I saved it on Q8.01 and gigged with it two weeks ago.

A quick look at the unit confirmed my suspicions - the nasty 'uses global blocks' bug was back and had scrambled the values in the preset's first block which happens to be a volume block for morphing different sounds via pedal.

Between songs I quickly restored the backed up bank and hoped for the best - only to be disappointed. The nasty bug was still there.

I don't get it. I am 100% sure the bug wasn't there when I gigged two weeks ago. I hadn't touched any of my gear since, just loaded my untouched stuff in the car and off I was to the venue where the nasty bug ruined my evening.

I have been complaining about this issue for a long time since the uses global blocks bug has been bothering me for years - I have never ever used a single global block.
May it be possible that someone from Fractal has a look at it now? Thank you in advance.
 

Moke

Axe-Master
Vendor
This happens to me on occasion too. Mostly at a show...:confused:. I too have never used global blocks.

When it does happen, it's usually in a preset that is very packed. The (seemingly random?) block that gets 'linked' has all of it's parameters set to their lowest values (which leads to no output).
 

Moke

Axe-Master
Vendor

chris

Legend!
At last night's gig I realised that the volume of one particular preset was different from when I saved it on Q8.01 and gigged with it two weeks ago.

A quick look at the unit confirmed my suspicions - the nasty 'uses global blocks' bug was back and had scrambled the values in the preset's first block which happens to be a volume block for morphing different sounds via pedal.

Between songs I quickly restored the backed up bank and hoped for the best - only to be disappointed. The nasty bug was still there.

I don't get it. I am 100% sure the bug wasn't there when I gigged two weeks ago. I hadn't touched any of my gear since, just loaded my untouched stuff in the car and off I was to the venue where the nasty bug ruined my evening.

I have been complaining about this issue for a long time since the uses global blocks bug has been bothering me for years - I have never ever used a single global block.
May it be possible that someone from Fractal has a look at it now? Thank you in advance.
Upload the preset.
 

jakbur

Experienced
Yeah, I kinda figured it might be that. It's just strange that it.........
  1. Doesn't always happen when the preset is loaded? (one in 50?)
  2. Doesn't always happen to the same preset?
  3. Doesn't always happen to the same blocks?
  4. Always links the block to a 'Global Block' that is empty?
I'll try to trim down some of my 'crazy-er' presets and see if that helps.

Thanks yek
I had to do this. I also try to limit my controller assigns to no more than 4(5 at the most) where possible and that has helped!
 

dpeterson

Axe-Master
I've had it happen too. Was a preset where I used pedal to blend sounds with the mixer. It's way random too.
 

simeon

Axe-Master
i had this happen to me a couple of firmwares ago at a gig. no sound, as the first volume block in my chain had everything zero'ed out. i tweaked it back to default, but when i tried to save, i got the global blocks message and then the patch completely erased itself. lucky, because it wasn't a patch i needed to use very much on the rest of the gig and i had a backup which i restored when i got home. nasty bug, although i haven't seen it since...
 

ThelmoRego

Inspired
This happens to me all the time. Usually on presets that pretty CPU heavy and usual when using axe edit. It's so embarrassing because it takes you forever to find it while the rest of the band is starring at you.
 

Tommy Tempest

Power User
Sounds like a memory overload issue. I treat the AXE like a computer and I never have any presets go over 70%. This way I leave room for processing. And if I'm not going to use chorus, flanger, drive or whatever blocks, I remove them from the preset. Having too many blocks will be using memory and processor somewhere, but may still show a lower memory level.
 
  • Like
Reactions: J.C

shredi knight

Power User
This happens to me too occasionally. Always when I have made a change to a patch, then re-saved it.

A quick way to get rid of it is:

- Hit Enter (to unlink the block).
- Re-enter the block's previous values, except change one of them to something else (e.g. If it's the Volume block, I'll change the the Volume Taper to a different type).
- Re-save the patch.

That's it, the bug should now be gone. You can then change the Volume Taper in the Volume block back to what it was previously and re-save the patch again.


The trick is to change a setting in the patch so it's not exactly the same as it was when the bug showed up (I don't think it necessarily has to be a setting in the offending block, but I'm not sure). For whatever reason, that seems to get rid of it. I've even gotten rid of the bug by changing 1 character in the name of the patch when re-saving.
 

ah0bbs

New Member
Just wanted to pile on in case Fractal is listening... I have had this problem too for a couple years.

Thanks
 
Top Bottom