A word to the wise concerning the Axe FX USB port!

Brogen72

Inspired
A couple of months ago we had some nasty lightening here in NW Florida and my house got zapped. I had all my electronics shut down, surge protectors in place, my Axe Fx is plugged into a Fruman PC etc. I thought all should be fine, however because the power cord was still plugged into my 52" flat screen tv as well as the cord to my computer tower those items were fried as well as other electronic items I had to replace.
To my great relief the Axe Fx and Matrix amp powered up fine after the storm passed but the next time I went to connect my Axe Fx into my rebuilt computer there was no signal coming from the USB port on the Axe. After troubleshooting all possibilities through friends, the Internet and Fractal support, to no avail, I realized that the USB cable was likely still plugged in the Axe Fx from my old computer which did zapp the whole USB board in the Axe Fx and I had to send it in for repairs. Fractal had to order parts and all told it cost me about $215 for repairs and shipping because of course this happened after the warranty expired and it took 3 1/2 to 4 weeks to get it fixed. Not sure why it took quite so long but support was helpful in getting it fixed and things could have been worse.
Needless to say but I have now upgraded to a UPS for my computer and always unplug the Axe Fx USB cable in the event of any bad weather. To be safe, always unplug the USB when not in use!

To be safe, always unplug anything you don't want damaged. If lightening hits close enough, no consumer grade product can protect your gear.

A couple of months ago we had some nasty lightening here in NW Florida and my house got zapped. I had all my electronics shut down, surge protectors in place, my Axe Fx is plugged into a Fruman PC etc. I thought all should be fine, however because the power cord was still plugged into my 52" flat screen tv as well as the cord to my computer tower those items were fried as well as other electronic items I had to replace.
To my great relief the Axe Fx and Matrix amp powered up fine after the storm passed but the next time I went to connect my Axe Fx into my rebuilt computer there was no signal coming from the USB port on the Axe. After troubleshooting all possibilities through friends, the Internet and Fractal support, to no avail, I realized that the USB cable was likely still plugged in the Axe Fx from my old computer which did zapp the whole USB board in the Axe Fx and I had to send it in for repairs. Fractal had to order parts and all told it cost me about $215 for repairs and shipping because of course this happened after the warranty expired and it took 3 1/2 to 4 weeks to get it fixed. Not sure why it took quite so long but support was helpful in getting it fixed and things could have been worse.
Needless to say but I have now upgraded to a UPS for my computer and always unplug the Axe Fx USB cable in the event of any bad weather. To be safe, always unplug the USB when not in use!

Excellent advice. During the summer, you can set your watch to the afternoon storms here. Our surveillance system gave up the ghost back in July from a bad one.

To be safe, always unplug anything you don't want damaged. If lightening hits close enough, no consumer grade product can protect your gear.

I learned this the hard way when my house got struck by lightening. Even though I had unplugged the power from all my computers, the lightning ran through ever wire in my house damaging all kinds of things you wouldn't even think of.

My computers were still connected to the network and the lightning killed all the networking (ethernet) inputs. Even though these were on the motherboard and the motherboard still worked, the network was knocked out - had to add separate network cards into all my PCs!

Also own two overhead video projectors and both of them had HDMI input 1 knocked out (otherwise they were fine).

There are not any products on the market that will stop lightening...the warranty is an "insurance policy" that places the burden of proof on the user to "prove" lightening passed through the protection device.Good luck!
Lightening has multiple frequency components of AC/DC..(some is very high/low freq.RF). Not any group of components can grab it all,and shunt it to a good ground. Proper grounding is a tricky business. Usually ends up creating a path for distructive disharges in the grounding. Best grounding is a huge grounding ring with multiple ground rods, with sharp tines attached to the spires of towers tied to the grounding field. (Look at sub stations, you will see them)
I work in telecom, outside Pairgain / Carrier maintenance in Central Florida.
I always unplug everything. Took a shot 6 years ago that permanetly gaussed two CRT's from the disharge passing below the house!

I have my computer, Axe, interface, etc. of value and sensitivity plugged into a conglomerate of unbalanced, balanced isolation transformers and a voltage regulator all stemming off the same circuit. Albeit there isn't much better than this setup for protection but when severe thunderstorms come around I always play it safe and have only one cable to unplug that safeguards everything... easy-peezie.

A couple of years ago lightning hit a tree in front of my house. As a result there was bark all over my front lawn, my tree now had what looked like an ass. It took out my exterior lamp post, alarm system and door bell ringer. It's all on different circuits...
When lightning hits, shitz gonna happen, glad no one was hurt!

Tree died later that year, it was never the same again...RIP.

Hmm, no lightening strike problems here in Central Jersey.

:? But, I am having a "Monster 2500 power conditioner's internal circuit breaker tripping issue" involving my AXE FX II (the only device plugged into the Monster) and my MacBook Pro - the AXE FX II and MacBook Pro are connected to each other by USB (Axe Edit).

Here is the issue as it evolved over time:

1) First, no issue for two months - everything worked fine. :encouragement:

2) Then (a week ago) the circuit breaker inside the Monster 2500 would trip every single time I plugged the Apple AC adapter (mag-safe end) into the MacBook Pro (with USB connecting AXE FX II and MacBook Pro). :eek:

3) Then (two days ago) I moved the three prong AC adapter plug to an outlet across the room (although I am not sure if that outlet is on a different line or not) and the problem went away (still with USB connecting AXE FX II and MacBook Pro). :p

4) Now (last night) the problem has resurfaced. Every time I connect the mag-safe connector to the MackBook Pro the Monster 2500 trips (still with USB connecting AXE FX II and MacBook Pro). :nightmare:

:roll It did not occur to me to try to replicate this failure without the USB connection between the AXE FX II and MacBook Pro until I read this post. :stupid: So I'll try it without the USB connection when I get home tonight.

Anyone ever experience this problem? :confusion:

Last edited:
Sounds like a dodgy Apple power adapter to me .... maybe it initially when first attached it 'surges' to charge it's capacitors or whatever it has inside and that's enough to trip the Monster. Then again, maybe it's just the Monster that is dodgy.

Maybe your local Apple store can test the adapter?

Sounds like a dodgy Apple power adapter to me .... maybe it initially when first attached it 'surges' to charge it's capacitors or whatever it has inside and that's enough to trip the Monster. Then again, maybe it's just the Monster that is dodgy.

Maybe your local Apple store can test the adapter?

I am headed down to Atlantic city tomorrow and plan to bring it to the Apple store on the boardwalk.

I got my money's worth out of the adapter - its the "dodgy Monster" possibility that has me ... trippin'! ;)

Can you imagine being at a gig and every time the lights flicker the Monster freaks out and shuts down? :eek:

I used to work at a missile building facility. We had extensive lightning protection - it consisted of many large poles extending hi into the air and attached to a grounding grid that diverted the power away from the building and power grid. It was a major deal and still only decreased the chances of a strike. The only protection against lightning is to prevent it from hitting any where near you. In other words, always unplugged your stuff.

it consisted of many large poles extending hi into the air and attached to a grounding grid that diverted the power away from the building and power grid. It was a major deal and still only decreased the chances of a strike.

i'm sure you could have just used an $80 Furman.

The only thing protecting anyone from lightning is unplugging everything from the wall... Best and cheapest insurance policy ever...

i just want to pedantically point out that lightning is an electrical discharge, while lightening is what happens when the sun rises. :eek:

Looks like this must be what happened to mine. Also in Northern Florida (Jacksonville), might have been the same day...it was mid-September.

Back
Top Bottom