A word of caution when using 2 cabs and motor drive

javajunkie

I was messing with some UltraRes cabs in parallel and I ran into this so I thought I would share.
I added the second cab (the same cab and in my cab 1) and I was getting a hollowed out sound consistent with a phase issue.
I managed to track it down to one cab having motor drive on and the other with none. You can hear it right away when one motor drive is set to something other than zero and the other is set to zero.

It is something to be aware of if things do not sound right between two cabs in parallel.

Maybe a Fractal firmware update will help us lazy/noobs to not be a noob.......or we could just learn to use the machine properly.

Would be cool to have the ability to lock the stereo cab pair motor drives in parallel like you can do with certain stereo parameters in a DAW - I know - it's always easier said than done.

I don't know how it happened, but on a couple of patches one of the cabs had a higher value for the motor drive since fw13, and I did have that hollow sound. Easily fixed, but I never touched that value, so it's stranger that it changed.

Jan

Any luck using cab delay to dial
It out?

i think the cabs are slightly out of phase due to a delay in processing and this delay may well be less than 1ms so dialing it out with cab delay might not be possible, just as affective to set one cabs motor drive to 0.01 for the cab where motor drive is not desired.

Regards,

i think the cabs are slightly out of phase due to a delay in processing and this delay may well be less than 1ms so dialing it out with cab delay might not be possible, just as affective to set one cabs motor drive to 0.01 for the cab where motor drive is not desired.

Regards,
cab delay is in sub ms, but it is not fine enough or long enough to dial out with the cab delay. I'll measure the delay when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom