A Week Review

Well, sadly, I must report that I am returning the Ultra.

It is a great unit. Cliff really knows his stuff, and I wish I could afford to have all the toys I want. Fractal and everyone have been so very helpful, and it truly made trying the Ultra out a much easier experience.

The bottom line for me was based on several things. I am hoping this first one really is understood. I did not try to make the Ultra sound like a specific amp or effects unit. When I started playing guitar almost 28 years ago, I wished I could play like Ted.. or Randy.. or Eddie.. or Schenker.. or.. well, all of them! And many more. A couple years later, the drummer of my first real "play gigs outside of the basement" band's drummer was making some food, and came into the room where I was jamming with some albums. He said, "Ya know, I can always tell when it is you playing. You have not ever learned one song note for note; but, in a way, I like it more, cause it is you. All the other kids are trying to sound like someone else, and most of them do. I really like that you don't" And then he simply walked back to the kitchen, and it was never mentioned again. So what?

Well, I treat all my gear like that, as well as my own playing. How I wish I could play like Steve Vai, or Dicky Betts.. or a multitude of others. But, while hands being reattached and broken fingers have halted becoming the next shred queen, I am still me, and my playing is me. I am prouder of that than "technical prowess in excess." I still wish tho! And with gear, it is the same thing. I will sit down and play a Marshall, and wish it would have that "Jake E Lee in Badlands" sound, or an EVH sound, or whatever. And then I realize, DUH! It has been done, and done to death. Look for something unique. Something YOU can wear, and be comfy in and with. I could care less if it said Peavey.. Matchless... or "Jane's Box of Tubes." Tell what is in it (basically), and I am willing to try it on. I may get a decent feel, but the fit might be off a little... and changing some tubes, or simply wearing it for awhile will bring it to that, "Damn, this feels good!" place. I have played guitars and basses that were exceptional instruments, but they simply were not something I was comfy with. I might wish I could slap the neck on a different body, with different pickups.. or.. something.

I know how to build computers, have done it for years. I came up with the de facto standard PC build for Pro Tools TDM systems when they went XP compatible (seems like a decade ago now...). But, I would not be comfortable screwing with what is inside the Ultra. It would be like repainting the Mona Lisa's hair or some other little piece. A tube amp I can dig into (well, not these new PCB infested worm cages). Even a vintage Les Paul I have no problems playing doctor.. or re-animator with. It is like the new cars (well, post '80 or so..lol) too. And therein lies the rub: The Ultra is damn sweet, and I am in awe. But, it does not fit well enough at that price point for ME, and even though I can do some things to "hot rod" it a bit, it is not enough. Maybe if I spent months I could find enough of it to be comfy with to validate the expense. But right now, I really need some basics to be there, and fit well for me. I am so very, very grateful to Cliff for offering people like me that are so finicky a chance to audition it. I have lost sleep for a few nights now trying to come to terms with a simple fact: for now, only a tube amp will work for me, and for some reason (I am an old dog who simply has a psychological block?) I need certain pedals to be able to mold a "front line." Load/speaker line out, or parallel line effected.. Ultra, all the way, no if's and or but's for me. If I find I am ever able to afford it, I would want one. But, the foundation must come first, and this has abeen a lesson for me in just what I am able to wear.. psychologically, or whatever it is that simply makes it fit. IOW, this is no failing on the Ultra's side, per se. It just is not enough of a perfect fit for me at this point in time.

Sorry to go on and on. I am so damn long winded. I guess short blurbs do not fit me either (hahaha..). I feel bad on one hand, but on the other, I am so happy I got to try it out. It has afforded me the ability to feel (confident that) I have found the direction I need to go. Thanks again to all who helped out. One aspect of this that has blown me away is how tight everyone is here, and how much it is a community, and how everyone helps and contributes. I envy those who found such an incredible fit. I truly do.

Thanks again! :D

I'm surprised. I don't think anything can do what the Ultra will let you do, which to me seems far more likely to let you get an individual tone (or tones). If you aren't comfortable with it though, then it can't be a tool to let you find that tone. Have fun with the continuation of your tonal journey! :)

scarr said:
I'm surprised. I don't think anything can do what the Ultra will let you do, which to me seems far more likely to let you get an individual tone (or tones). If you aren't comfortable with it though, then it can't be a tool to let you find that tone. Have fun with the continuation of your tonal journey! :)

Yeah, I am surprised too. I really am. It does ALOT. But, I could not get certain things to "sit" right.. for me. It is this "digital cannot do that" thing that sits in my head, plus having so many years of having certain sounds beat into my head. I want.. MXR 70's phase, original Small Stone.. original vibe.. and then here comes the Ultra, filling in that stuff. It can get so very close. In a mix, I would wager I could not pick what was used (Ultra vs a pedal) if it were mixed well, and the Ultra was tweaked well. But when I sit playing, it.. did not feel right. Not, "Wow. This is like a POD or COSM imitation.. so stale." But rather, "Damn. So close. Sounds like it. But.." I dont know. Maybe sorta like Darth Vader, "I sense something.. something I have not felt since..." And it is so elusive. UNlike Darth tho, I still cannot nail down what is different. So, the easy way out is to simply chalk it up to my own inability to leave certain pre-conceived "ideas of tone" aside and accept a new age with open arms.

Now, that said...

If I could, say... already own a VariPlex, Splawn, nice old Fender for cleans, a Badger 30 and a stable of pedals I would love to have between guitar and amp input.. well, the Ultra would do EVERYTHING else for me, no doubts. I had hoped at least that it would replace the pedals front end, and if I got a good speaker sim out of the deal.. wow, I would have been in heaven. And if the amp sim part was there 100% for me? I would have lost it. But, I could not get the amps to respond in a manner that felt.. I dont know, it just was like a hair of response difference that I could not figure or find a tweak for. I had a BLAST playing the amp sims through a solid state power amp and various cabs/speakers. After several days, I ahd some amp tones that simply killed. But, as soon as I would go to a real tube amp.. if I went back to the Axe, the response would be apparent to me, and I would cry inside. Maybe it is a "chick thing," but I blamed myself. I was heart broken that I could not "see the light." For the lighter gain stuff, and the cleans- spectacular. But, I still did not have the pedal front end going that felt right.

So as to not babble more... it comes to financial restrictions. If I have $3k to spend, $2k on the Ultra restricts the other side too much. I would love to save, and bug my Dad alot (xmas Daddy! hint hint!!!) to help chip in, and find a used Standard in several months maybe. Financial stuff sucks, but once I have a solid amp setup, and get the pedal front squared (figuring about $1k, give or take).. which might barely leave enough to save on top of. The Standard would fall short in several areas (I want my Quad Chorus!!!), but I would consider waiting longer to grab an Ultra, say, a year from now. I want one... but, it is a luxury right now since I cannot get certain staples out of it.. for MY taste. Anyone who doubts th eunit needs only listen to the examples. Pete Thorn has blown me away constantly with his demos of stuff, including the Axe. I wish I could play as well, and wish I could have the budget (as well ;) ).

Thanks again for all who helped.. and especially you Scarr.. part of me feels like i have let some of you down. Another feels like I let myself down. And another is poking me in the side.. "C'mon!!! Let's go play some tube amps! Some nice stuff, not that tripe in Guitar Center!!! Some nice amps! Speakers! We can try some different speakers too!!! And pedals!!!" (sigh) I thought I might finally be done and rid of all of that... :(

sorry to hear it, but I think you've given it the most fair and thorough shake of anyone who's tried it and decided it wasn't for them. hope to see you back around these parts another time, especially if ever another version of Axe-Fx happens to include The Force. :)

Sorry it didn't work out for you Nikki. Thanks for posting in detail about your experience with the Ultra. I enjoyed reading your posts... and it's all useful info in my own decision, while I wait to save the funds.
Good luck in the future... may the valves be with you. (I guess in the USA, you guys say 'tubes'... 'valves' is so UK!!!)

Interesting personal account Nikki and thanks for sharing it. At the end of the day the Axe-fx is not a real tube amp. It emulates one - tries to reproduce a similar sound of the real thing. If you are hung up on a specific tube amp sound then go for it. For me the advantage of the axe-fx is that the emulations come close to LOTS of tube amps that are used in different musical styles. To buy all the originals would be too expensive for me. The flexibility with the various amp models, mic models and effects suit me fine - particularly for recording. Tone and playability are very personal things. I wish you well in your search.

Best Wishes

Stewart

nikki-k said:
Thanks again for all who helped.. and especially you Scarr.. part of me feels like i have let some of you down. Another feels like I let myself down. And another is poking me in the side.. "C'mon!!! Let's go play some tube amps! Some nice stuff, not that tripe in Guitar Center!!! Some nice amps! Speakers! We can try some different speakers too!!! And pedals!!!" (sigh) I thought I might finally be done and rid of all of that... :(
You're welcome; I'm here to try and help people where I can. I don't feel let down. You spent time with it and gave it a fair shot before drawing your conclusions, which is all we can ask. If it isn't right for you, then it isn't right for you. There's nothing wrong with that. :)

Well, Nikki from Portland Oregon, since we are neighbors....

Thanks for the read. I spent quite a bit of time a few years ago narrowing down my tube amp search in my price range and ended up with a Fender Bassman RI... I love the tone and the 3-D shimmer of the 4x10 cab combo. But the versatility is lacking - I wanted both, lots of options and great tone. I bought a Boss GT-8 and tried it for awhile, it gave me the versatility, but lacked some quality tone. I kept reading reviews of the Axe Fx and finally purchased an Ultra in June, and have been learning and loving it since. It makes the GT-8 sound like a toy. I have been experimenting with FRFR options - heard a demo with a pair of QSCs from MKeditor from the forum in our area, and I was literally blown away. But last week I pulled out my Bassman again, and wow, it reminded me of that magic. The ULTRA is NOT a tube amp, and, at least for now I have not been able to recreate the full magic of the 4x10 3-D sparkle of the Bassman in the ULTRA and FRFR. But I can get close with the ULTRA, plus the variations and options in the ULTRA are about limitless... which is a good trade off - considering space/cost limitations. So, I can understand that the ULTRA is not quite there, but it is so darn close, and the convenience and versatility and smooth choruses and reverbs seal the deal.

But we all have to make our choices and that helps make the world go round. At least post back later and let us know what you have ended up with.

-richard

Thanks again! :D

I just wanted to say one last thing...

TRY IT!!!
If anyone has any doubts about whether it is worth trying.. F'in DUH!!! Yes, try it.
Compared to Line 6, Boss, etc.. well, it simply does not compare IMO. It is like a fine wine. I truly get it, and I completely understand why those who rave (or simply sit with a sly smile) do so. Customer service that is unsurpassed, users to fall back on and look to (and beg to!), but at the base of it all is a piece of art that is a new paradigm IMO. What one can expect for ~$1.5k-2k is demolished, and what one may have experienced with modelling and sims MUST be put aside in the least, forgotten being better. Versatility and quality on par with $3k+ units, with the versatility surpassing in certain areas (quality in some as well!).

Try it.

I have a new appreciation of what digital can do.
Oh- I already have a "Axe Fund" started so I can grab one once I get the foundation of my rig sorted. I sold my Mesa 2:Ninety to afford the Ultra. Do I regret it? Hmm.. maybe a tinge in there. But, in a really interesting twist, all this has prompted me to go back to my roots. I am seriously thinking of keeping my TriAxis, and grabbing a Marshall-y type head to compliment it. Even considering doing a "you build it" thing. Would love to learn more, and try my hand at tinkering. Tubes and the voltage/wattage scare me. I have seen people electrocuted before (HVAC guy was the first.. smells horrible), so I never got into working on tube amps. I guess there is a part of me also that will not let go of the "Why?" of it all. Knowledge, and safely going forward.

Thanks once more, hope to be back!
And to anyone who considers: TRY IT!!! :) Ignorance is NOT bliss in this case.

For the most part, while you're putting the amp together, there's no current going on. So let's say you put it together perfectly, you'd have no fear of getting shocked. :p Pretty likely to happen if you go to one of Bruce Egnater's seminars... :)

Back
Top Bottom