A Vox Just Isn’t a Vox...

Or fawn but I, too, prefer the black.

I recently bought an AC4TV, but found that even on the 1/4 Watt setting, it was still too loud for room playing. So I added an L-pad attenuator to it and I was surprised how well it works and how amazing the AC4 sounds at low volume. It gives me full range attenuation on the 1/4, 1 and 4 Watt settings.

So I decided to look for an AC4C1 with a 12” speaker. I wanted one with black Tolex, but I couldn’t pass up the price of the white one, so I bought it. For $20 worth of Tolex, I figured it would be a great opportunity to learn a new skill.

On this amp., instead of an L-pad, I bought a power scaling circuit kit from London Power, which I’m going to install on the chassis. I just finished soldering the components into the circuit boards and I’m just waiting to setup a time to meet with a local amp. tech., who’s going to show me how to tie in the power scaling circuits.

Last edited:
I want to take you home. I won’t do you no harm. You’ve got to be all mine, all mine.

Y’all know the rest.

NICE job!

Thanks.

Part way through, it looked like the first airplane model I built when I was a kid, covered in glue. Thankfully, Tolex is very forgiving as is water based contact cement.

Now the part I’m dreading the most. Cutting the Tolex away from the grooves where the gold piping goes!

I finally had a chance to get back to my little project. The back panel has new Tolex on it, the power scaling circuits have been installed and tied in. Just waiting for a fresh set of JJ’s but I did get a chance to try it out with my AX8 and the amp. I can set the Volume knob (power amp.) to 10, the Gain knob to about 3 and have all the gain/distortion/overdrive I want and I can set the volume as low as I want with no change in tone. Sounds amazing.

.C2CB265E-BFB4-4103-94CF-B38700674639.jpegE78E3D5F-3F54-4137-834B-DC813E7686D3.jpeg
A1D35A49-5D74-4714-9A37-493CE94B5465.jpeg

25EBD5F6-4D9F-45FF-97B1-8954EBEA7D2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom