A Vintage Guy And The Axe-FX 2

Like that Suhr.. congrats on the MFC. I consider it essential to using the Axe FX. I wouldn't even turn the Axe on if I didn't have the MFC. I struggle a bit with the switch spacing as well, due to having big ass feet. Woe is me... 8)

Like that Suhr.. congrats on the MFC. I consider it essential to using the Axe FX. I wouldn't even turn the Axe on if I didn't have the MFC. I struggle a bit with the switch spacing as well, due to having big ass feet. Woe is me... 8)

I am going to have to get a pair Lotus shoes

1%5B4%5D.jpg

I have a Vafam panel for my Axe that I have been thinking about using however I am concerned about the cables hanging from the front. I am gigging weekly in a tight space and will soon be doing 2 sets back to back in 2 different locations. This is why I bought the vafam because it should make setup go faster but I could also see myself getting tangled in all these wires.

I guess that now that I have my MFC I could probably just face the rack so that the wires are out of the way since I am now interacting with the unit through the controller.

Gig #10
Sat 5/11/13
Dublin Pub
Morristown, NJ

Gear
Axe-Fx 2
Matrix GT1000FX
MATRIX Q12 PASSIVE CAB
suhr Korina Tele with Humbuckers
FW10
MFC
Afam Front Paenl

After 9 gigs with the Axe-FX, I finally do a gig with the MFC controller!!!

what a difference it made. It was a little clumsy at first (I need smaller feet) but it was a vast overall improvement. I need to think through "scenes" a little better. Using Scenes with the MFC is going to be a life saver for gigging Axe owners with big feet!

and as usual the Matrix GT1000FX AND Q12 rocked the house!

file_zpsf1dc4033.jpg

I have a Vafam panel for my Axe that I have been thinking about using however I am concerned about the cables hanging from the front. I am gigging weekly in a tight space and will soon be doing 2 sets back to back in 2 different locations. This is why I bought the vafam because it should make setup go faster but I could also see myself getting tangled in all these wires.

I guess that now that I have my MFC I could probably just face the rack so that the wires are out of the way since I am now interacting with the unit through the controller.

Actually it is much easier to setup and break down. the wires are no big deal -- you just need to be careful.

We are a 6 piece band and we play in places that are tight and "tighter". Sometimes the places are so tight that I play my drummer's high hats with my elbow....LOL

where the guitar is in the picture is where I stood and played --- zero room. I typically put my rack up against the wall and sit the PA on top of it then I run all the cables and wires along the wall.

Seriously ... I think the VaFam panels are great for playing in extremely tight places.

Gig #11
Fri 5/17/13
St. Moritz
Lake Mohawk, NJ

Gear
Axe-Fx 2
Matrix GT1000FX
MATRIX Q12 PASSIVE CAB
James Tyler Burning Water 2k (SSH configuration)
FW10
MFC
Afam Front Panel

Got some of the kinks out of scene/preset layouts. Scenes no question is the way to go.

I have 5 basic presets of which last night I basically used 3

Twin Reverb
65 Bassman
Dumble ODS lead channel

The Twin and the bassman have the identical scenes setup

1. basic preset - amp/reverb
2. Compressor/Light chorus/reverb
3. Slight Edge clean with a tube screamer/reverb
4. Crunch (BB- Pre)/reverb
5. Solo - BB-Pre/Boost/reverb/delay

Dumble I has set up

1. Basic preset with delay/reverb
2. More saturation - Tube screamer/Reverb/Delay
3. Solo Basic preset - boost/delay/reverb

Depending on the tune I go between the Twin Reverb and the Bassman for rhythm. On a couple of tunes I use effects like Mutron, tremolo, phaser etc and I turn those on manually (like a stomp box).

It works -- saves a lot of pedal dancing and things flow very smoothly. Over the next few weeks I want to setup an expression pedal for clean/od morphing. I am not crazy about the wah sim in the AXE so I might have to add my Area 51 wah to a board (when I get around to putting one together) -- however I am getting by with using the mutron (Yek's settings) -- it sounds great and doing the job nicely.

IMG_0536_zpsa374170b.jpg

I'd recommend adding an expression pedal to control the wah block before you go to the time and expense (and additional wiring it will require on the stage) of buying an external wah. It's very easy to configure the Axe-FX wah any way you want; and if you have not used an expression pedal to control it... you have not heard the wah block yet.

I have two mission expression pedals and I did hook one of them up to control the wah block.

I even set it up to be a combination wah/vol. Everything worked fine and don't get me wrong -- it sounded terrific.

However I am not looking for a "Jimi" Clyde wah type of sound or any of its derivatives. Not my thing.

I am looking for more of a Maestro type of wah sound.

I think the Axe wah sim uses a yellow fasel inductor as its model.

I don't see how you can get the base tone/behavior I am looking for without modeling a different inductor.

If you can suggest a setting that gets me to a more "maestro" type of wah I would love to try it out.

P.S. - I already own the Area 51 wah -- been using it for years (best wah on the market IMO) -- however I really do not want to bring it to gigs (just one more thing to carry and power).

I'd recommend adding an expression pedal to control the wah block before you go to the time and expense (and additional wiring it will require on the stage) of buying an external wah. It's very easy to configure the Axe-FX wah any way you want; and if you have not used an expression pedal to control it... you have not heard the wah block yet.

Last edited:
I've seen several different settings for different type of wah's. I've not usedvanlig the internal wah yet. I have 5 different at home.

Gig #12
Sat 5/25/13
Cielo
Fairfield, NJ

Gear
Axe-Fx 2
Matrix GT1000FX
MATRIX Q12 PASSIVE CAB
Suhr Antique Tele (HH) Korina Boday
FW10
MFC
Afam Front Panel

It just keeps getting better and better with every gig. The Twin Reverb and the 65 Bassman amps in the AF2 just sound spectacular. The band was really tight last night and the volume was perfect. Using the Global to adjust overall volume to the room is really a great way to easily cap your overall volume. The MFC is really a must for the Axe. Scenes are a must. I think I only stepped on an individual effect maybe a 1/2 dozen times (if that) over the course of 50 songs.

Last night the core presets were:

Double verb
65 Bassguy
ODS 100 Lead

For crunch I used the BB Pre with the Doubleverb and for edge I used the tubescreamer set to around 1.5 also with the double verb. I liked the 65 more straight up cleans.

I also set the BB and the Tubescreamer to a 75% mix. One of my all time favorite pedals is the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and it has a blend knob - so I applied the same concept to the BB and the TS (I am a fan of blend knobs).

The Matrix GT1000FX and the Q12 cab continue to impress the heck out of me. If you are a gigging musician and not planning going through FOH/PA, you seriously need to check out the Matrix/Q12 combination. I am blown away every time I gig with it.

If anybody is in the NW NJ area ... we will be playing at Cielo in Fairfield NJ again next next Sat (6/1/13). Stop by and say hello!

file_zpsaa88cb90.jpg

Last edited:
Gig #12
Sat 5/25/13
Cielo
Fairfield, NJ

Gear
Axe-Fx 2
Matrix GT1000FX
MATRIX Q12 PASSIVE CAB
Suhr Antique Tele (HH) Korina Boday
FW10
MFC
Afam Front Panel

It just keeps getting better and better with every gig. The Twin Reverb and the 65 Bassman amps in the AF2 just sound spectacular. The band was really tight last night and the volume was perfect. Using the Global to adjust overall volume to the room is really a great way to easily cap your overall volume. The MFC is really a must for the Axe. Scenes are a must. I think I only stepped on an individual effect maybe a 1/2 dozen times (if that) over the course of 50 songs.

Last night the core presets were:

Double verb
65 Bassguy
ODS 100 Lead

For crunch I used the BB Pre with the Doubleverb and for edge I used the tubescreamer set to around 1.5 also with the double verb. I liked the 65 more straight up cleans.

I also set the BB and the Tubescreamer to a 75% mix. One of my all time favorite pedals is the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and it has a blend knob - so I applied the same concept to the BB and the TS (I am a fan of blend knobs).

The Matrix GT1000FX and the Q12 cab continue to impress the heck out of me. If you are a gigging musician and not planning going through FOH/PA, you seriously need to check out the Matrix/Q12 combination. I am blown away every time I gig with it.

If anybody is in the NW NJ area ... we will be playing at Cielo in Fairfield NJ again next next Sat (5/1/13). Stop by and say hello!

file_zpsaa88cb90.jpg

Did you mean 6/1/2013?

Hi Vintage Guy, ;-)

just curious, what does your Twin preset look like?

Hi Vintage Guy, ;-)

just curious, what does your Twin preset look like?

Attached is my Twin Patch

Your Mutron is the filter before the amp block :)

**Note -- this patch is dialed in for my suhr antique (HH) Korina tele **

Attachments

• Double Verb.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Here are the 65 and the ODS patches as well

**Note -- these patches are dialed in for my suhr antique (HH) Korina tele **

Attachments

• 65 Bassman.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 25
  • ODS-100 Lead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Have you had achance to do any testing with you guitar cab, I think it was a Hermina.
Chris

Got rid of my cabs with my dumble clones :(

I am planning on checking out the new 2x12 Matrix is making. I was going to buy a new 1x12 mini cab from Andy Fuchs to run an EV in it -- but the Q12 is sounding so good that I am really in no hurry to spend any additional money at this point.

I am more than happy with the sound and feel I am getting with my current setup

Checking out your presets right at this moment. :)

That Twin has a lot of into-your-face attack, I like that.
A little unconventional maybe, like using the D112 mic, plus adding a mic to a Mix Cab (which already has mics baked in), but if it works, it works!

Reactions: LVC
Checking out your presets right at this moment. :)

That Twin has a lot of into-your-face attack, I like that.
A little unconventional maybe, like using the D112 mic, plus adding a mic to a Mix Cab (which already has mics baked in), but if it works, it works!

For lack of a better description -- I want it to be somewhat in your face "snappy/percussive" which is the type of response/attack I need for some of the R&B/funk tunes I play in my band.

I am sure there are more conventional ways of getting to the same place (especially if you know what you are doing) ... but even a blind squirrel like me can find the occasional nut :) --- like you said if it works .. it works!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom