A two year Ultra user gets his Axe II with v 5....

Lawjac

First to the guys that still have Ultras...

If at all possible, you should make every effort to upgrade. The Ultra was a great piece of grear, however the II is in another class. The realisim and "feel" is undeniable.
There is now no doubt whatsoever that it sounds like a real analog amp period!

Again the feel is amazing. While going through the presets, I found myself just playing like many others here, just getting lost. I plugged my Strat into the unit and adjusted the tonestack and MV to taste and it thrilled me so much. I went to the SLO lead preset and was able to ubber chugga power chords that i couldnt do with the ultra without serious tweaking. I play through a powered Atomic 50w monitor. I always questioned if that was the right amplification for me, but now I know that it is.

I can only speak from my experience, but I think you should.....
Sell your Ultra for less than you paid for it and borrow some money from your wife and just do it!

Peace love and Harmony!

I was on the fence for a while, really love the Ultra and always will. But my wife convinced me to sell it and get a II as a promotion gift for myself. I ended up waiting for over half a year and had many second thoughts during that period wondering if I had made a mistake, was wasting time and money already knowing what the Ultra did and if I wasn't just doing it to do it. I don't need the latest and greatest of anything; I'm still running around with a Razr3 cellphone if that tells you anything. Both my cars are over 8 years old (low mileage) and they do what I need just fine. I'm a pretty content guy and when I find something that works I don't look for reasons to go out and replace them.

It was absolutely worth it to me and that's not taking anything at all away from the Ultra....but v5 just took it to a new level that I didn't think would ever exist in terms of feeling even more in tune with what I was playing. I play something, my ear hears it, my fingers adjust for it and I love the way that the unit reacts to what I'm doing, it's like a feedback loop between me and the unit.

Sell your Ultra for less than you paid for it and borrow some money from your wife and just do it!
My wife says I'm not good for the money.

But my wife convinced me to sell it and get a II as a promotion gift for myself.
Dudes. Where do you get girls like that? I read about all those guys getting guitars as christmas presents from their better halves. Mine loves to hear me play, but thinks I have enough guitars already. Wha?!? I still NEED a PRS SC. Really. i'm not even that greedy. Not like some of those guys that have like 7 PRSs or EBMM BFRs.

:D

My time will come.

Currently though, I've been watching several auctions for Gen1s and they're not moving one inch for weeks. Of course they are aiming a bit high...

Last edited:
Der FuzzMeister has got one finally?

well, it's still in Flensburg, but yes, pretty much... almost...

and I also have some new pedals to clone for it right away:

- FTM from GGG <- this is a monster, if I could have only one fuzz, this would be it. for now...
- Ibanez Slam Punk
- Collins Sgt. Slaughter
- Cherub FZ2

and a Marshall SupaFuzz clone from pigeonfx (still needs pots & jacks, but it's almost finished)
I'm really curios about this one, I used old Siemens transistors I'm not really sure about where they came from, but they look really cool! (and had the proper values)

Last edited:
Estimated first BANK completion Feb 4th.

challenge-accepted.jpg

Dudes. Where do you get girls like that? I read about all those guys getting guitars as christmas presents from their better halves. Mine loves to hear me play, but thinks I have enough guitars already. Wha?!? I still NEED a PRS SC. Really. i'm not even that greedy. Not like some of those guys that have like 7 PRSs or EBMM BFRs.

My time will come.

Currently though, I've been watching several auctions for Gen1s and they're not moving one inch for weeks. Of course they are aiming a bit high...
For me its about keeping her well stocked in fine leather handbags.

First to the guys that still have Ultras...

If at all possible, you should make every effort to upgrade. The Ultra was a great piece of grear, however the II is in another class. The realisim and "feel" is undeniable.
There is now no doubt whatsoever that it sounds like a real analog amp period!

Again the feel is amazing. While going through the presets, I found myself just playing like many others here, just getting lost. I plugged my Strat into the unit and adjusted the tonestack and MV to taste and it thrilled me so much. I went to the SLO lead preset and was able to ubber chugga power chords that i couldnt do with the ultra without serious tweaking. I play through a powered Atomic 50w monitor. I always questioned if that was the right amplification for me, but now I know that it is.

I can only speak from my experience, but I think you should.....

Peace love and Harmony!

By the way... What if you aren't married :p
What do us single folks do. Although I am upgrading just for the record. Seeing all these epic reviews has made me a believer in to getting the II.

My time will come.

I met a wonderful woman several years ago who bought me a Les Paul Standard Plus Top for Xmas. She is now my wife. I like to tell everyone that asks for the "how we met" story that she was just a really awesome girlfriend until she passed that test :D

I met a wonderful woman several years ago who bought me a Les Paul Standard Plus Top for Xmas. She is now my wife. I like to tell everyone that asks for the "how we met" story that she was just a really awesome girlfriend until she passed that test :D
Man where do you find such girls :D. Wish I could find someone like that too. Are such amazing beings in a certain part of the world,is it the air there,the location,the water they drink. What makes them so awesome :p. I have to go on an expedition for such beautiful creatures :D

I got the notification today. Looks like I will be able to compare my Ultra and the II just in time for our Spring swing through the South. Can't wait...(actually, I can wait, I'm a very patient soul, but I am stoked.).

My time will come.

I agonize over every decision, so she knows that by the time I start talking about it, I've thought of every possible outcome and I'm basically telling her about it because I want to hear how good the idea sounds out loud. She's a bass player, so she understands the need for gear. We actually keep our gear budgets separate from our regular budgets... We do things strange. 8 years of marriage and we don't have joint accounts. Not once have we argued about money. I'm trying to convince her to buy my Ultra so I can upgrade to the II as she already uses my ultra to gig when I don't have anything booked.

I'm looking at about 18 months to 2 years of solid scrimping & saving to be able to afford an Axe II. So... I'm really in two minds as to whether it's really worth the hardship & effort, based on what I've seen / heard, to get maybe 5% better tone. And by then the axe II may have 'reached it's potential' (that's Fractal speak for 'stick it on ebay and order an Axe 3') maybe I'm better off sticking with my Ultra after all.

Back
Top Bottom