A total tech novice with some very specific questions

Stasis20

I apologize 1000 times, because I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered. Here's the details:

I'm solely a bedroom player these days. I primarily enjoy playing along with records, learning new bits of songs, and noodling as a way to relax. The last piece of digital gear I owned was in high school, a Line 6 Flextone amp.

There are no plans to play live anywhere in the future. This is strictly a hobby for me these days. That said, I have no qualms about dropping some cash for good tone, even if me and the dogs are the only ones who are going to hear it.

I've been a snob and a traditionalist for too long, but I'm ready to get with the times. I know as much about digital recording, DAWs, amp plugins, interfaces, etc. as I do about being an astronaut, so you're dealing with a real novice here.

After doing a lot of reading for several months and trying to educate myself, I am considering two approaches to this leap into the digital world I (both of which could be completely wrong):

1. Buying a nice audio interface (probably a Universal Audio Apollo) + plugins + studio monitors and using that as my new practice setup.

2. Buying an Axe FX 3 + studio monitors (or whatever is recommended) and using that as my new practice setup.

My questions:

1. Does the Axe FX 3 also function as an interface that I could use to record if I so desired down the road?

2. Does the Axe FX 3 have a software app where I can manipulate the settings via my desktop, or do I have to adjust the settings on the unit itself?

3. Does the Axe FX 3 have an online database of pre-made patches I can download from other users? Making them myself seems daunting until I learn how to use the unit.

4. If I'm solely going to be playing at home, is the Axe FX 3 worth the cost, or would I get a roughly equal tone quality from plugins? If so, what's the best way to go about that?

5. If I go with the Axe FX 3, what are your best recommendations for speakers? I need something that's going to sound good at lower volumes. Also, same question but with headphones?

6. If I go with something like the Universal Audio Apollo, do you have the same or different speaker recommendations?

If these questions sound stupid, I really do apologize. I can tell you the ins and outs of mandolins, Collings guitars, Carr amps, a million different pedals, vintage instruments, etc., but I've put my head in the sand for 20 years now when it comes to the digital world. I'm a quick study though, and I'm excited to take the plunge. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

apologize 1000 times, because I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered. Here's the details:

I'm solely a bedroom player these days. I primarily enjoy playing along with records, learning new bits of songs, and noodling as a way to relax. The last piece of digital gear I owned was in high school, a Line 6 Flextone amp.

There are no plans to play live anywhere in the future. This is strictly a hobby for me these days. That said, I have no qualms about dropping some cash for good tone, even if me and the dogs are the only ones who are going to hear it.

I've been a snob and a traditionalist for too long, but I'm ready to get with the times. I know as much about digital recording, DAWs, amp plugins, interfaces, etc. as I do about being an astronaut, so you're dealing with a real novice here.

After doing a lot of reading for several months and trying to educate myself, I am considering two approaches to this leap into the digital world I (both of which could be completely wrong):

1. Buying a nice audio interface (probably a Universal Audio Apollo) + plugins + studio monitors and using that as my new practice setup.
Apollo stuff (especially the newest gen) Is great, and many of us use them in tandem with our AxeFx (best way to go IMO)
Plugins will cost cost you plenty, especially the wonderful UAD stuff.

2. Buying an Axe FX 3 + studio monitors (or whatever is recommended) and using that as my new practice setup.
Hundreds of well crafted amp sims and 1000s of Cab sims, world class effects... what’s not to like.

My questions:

1. Does the Axe FX 3 also function as an interface that I could use to record if I so desired down the road?
Yes. USB 8 in/out

2. Does the Axe FX 3 have a software app where I can manipulate the settings via my desktop, or do I have to adjust the settings on the unit itself?
AxeEdit III is top of the line editing software...and the physical UI is also approachable

3. Does the Axe FX 3 have an online database of pre-made patches I can download from other users? Making them myself seems daunting until I learn how to use the unit.
Many On board factory presets and a plethora of free (AxeChange) and commercial patches are available v

4. If I'm solely going to be playing at home, is the Axe FX 3 worth the cost, or would I get a roughly equal tone quality from plugins? If so, what's the best way to go about that?
Debatable by some , but you are on the Fractal Website, and most of us are partial to our magic boxes .

5. If I go with the Axe FX 3, what are your best recommendations for speakers? I need something that's going to sound good at lower volumes. Also, same question but with headphones?
Too many choices and previous threads...Search is your friend too in this forum

6. If I go with something like the Universal Audio Apollo, do you have the same or different speaker recommendations?
See above

If these questions sound stupid, I really do apologize. I can tell you the ins and outs of mandolins, Collings guitars, Carr amps, a million different pedals, vintage instruments, etc., but I've put my head in the sand for 20 years now when it comes to the digital world. I'm a quick study though, and I'm excited to take the plunge. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Welcome , and enjoy your new rig whatever it is,.

Last edited:
Everything you're asking has been discussed. I'd suggest using a couple of key words in the search engine and you'll be reading ALL Day !

I'm in almost exactly the same 'camp' as you are and I can tell you as long as you're cool hearing the sound of a mic'ed up amp coming back at you via studio monitors, and not the "Amp in the Room" sound that a lot of people can't get out of their minds, you'll have very few problems getting the tones you're after !

Welcome aboard and have fun !

First off, welcome

To answer your questions

1) Yes the Axe III is a top shelf USB in & out interface, if you are only recording guitars, absolutely no reason to get another interface as well.

2) Yep, it's called Axe Edit, free download, very powerful and intuitive

3) Yep, Axechange, you can download other users presets and put up some of yours for others to try

4) That is always a very subjective question, I use the Axe III professionally, but to me it would be a yes even if I decided to hang it up and only play for my own amusement

5) Look into small near field studio speakers and pick some that you like, I have had great experience with Dynaudio, other popular brands are Yamaha, Adam and many others. Headphones Audio, I like Audio Technica ATH-M50x's for tracking, while Beyer DT 880 and AKG 701 or 702 are better for mixing

6) Yep - but if you want to go with interface and plug-in, just get a scarlett interface.

Question 1: Yes
From the manual, page 1 - "Better sound quality has been achieved through an audiophile-grade signal path. The difference shines through in lower noise floor, pristine clarity, and better USB audio performance than most dedicated audio interfaces. Computer audio integration now includes a professional-quality 24-bit/48k 8×8 interface. Record multiple tracks of processed audio at the same time, plus a DI. The re-amping workflow is improved with independent monitoring of backing tracks and re-processed guitar tones while you dial in a sound."

Question 2: Yes
From the manual, page 11 - "Axe-Edit III is a full-featured software editor/librarian for the Axe-Fx III. If you are comfortable with audio software or plug-ins, you will probably enjoy using this program to work with the Axe-Fx III. While every function of the Axe-Fx III can be operated from the unit’s front panel, Axe-Edit III brings a new level of convenience, including some “power-user” routines that aren’t possible on the unit itself (e.g. Block Library and Scene Swap). It also provides great tools for managing presets and banks, installing Cab Packs, and more.

Question 3: Yes
In the Axe-Fx III forum is the Axe-Fx III Preset Exchange. There's also axechange.fractalaudio.com.

Question 4: Up to you.
Only you can answer the question if it's worth the cost. As far as tone, which is best has been debated for years. That said, most who have used and Axe Fx or AX8 will say that there is not a plugin available with the tonal capabilities of a Fractal product. Personally, there's simply no comparison, Fractal by far is the leader in amp modeling technology.

Question 5: Up to you.
Again, a personal preference. Out of 20 players here you'll probably get at least 10 different answers. I use Behringer B2030A monitors and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Are there "better", yes. Do I need "better", not at this time. Basically any set of powered reference monitors with at least a 5 or 6 inch woofer will be sufficient. The only headphones I've used are AKG's and they sound pretty good but not great.

Question 6: Yes.

I apologize 1000 times, because I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered.

My questions:

this is covered in the fractal website, and the downloadable manual. gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and answer anyway: yes.

yes, and you can read about it on the fractal website and in the manual.

see above

this is a forum owned and operated by the manufacturer, largely populated by fractal owners. you may find our opinion biased.

at the upper right of the forum you’ll find a search box. there are a lot of answers, and they seem to vary largely with how much $ you want to spend.

a good speaker is a good speaker.

they don’t sound stupid, they sound like you haven’t used the forum search or read the fractal website. since forum members see the same questions over and over, they can get frustrated when new users don’t spend 15 minutes reading the old posts.

they don’t sound stupid, they sound like you haven’t used the forum search or read the fractal website. since forum members see the same questions over and over, they can get frustrated when new users don’t spend 15 minutes reading the old posts.

I understand the frustration. I searched the forums for several hours. With respect to comparisons between the Fractal and plugins, opinions varied a lot depending on what the primary use was going to be (live playing, recording, practicing), and I was primarily looking for an answer specific to my situation, and condense it all to a single post I could track.

With respect to a "a good speaker is a good speaker" I keep seeing varying opinions on whether to purchase, cabs, wedges, or just studio monitors. I was thinking just studio monitors would be fine for me practicing at home, but if that was a bad idea, I wanted someone to stop me.

And with respect to "Is Fractal worth it?" A better way to phrase it would have been "Is it worth it just for home use, or can I get an equivalent tone from plugins? This is assuming I'm never going to be using it for any live applications." I obviously expect people here to be Fractal fans, but I didn't know if the majority of users were fans because they used it in live settings, or if they appreciated it's use just as a tool at home as well.

Don't worry bout the questions, if I'd want a new TV, I'd probably ask the weirdest questions possible.
Quick answers:
1,2,3 yes of course.

4) without doubt a question with no correct answer. You're dealing here with something everybody is just amazed by, it's the best toy to have fun with m. Check out Cooper carter's masterclass or Leon Todd on YouTube, that will help finding the answer. Leon is heavier, don't get scared, it's just his style and the joy he is spreading is just worth it. I would really leave that question for you to answer yourself.

3) Cooper Carter has a video on YouTube with all amps using Austin buddy's naked amps, check that out, the tweaking all done for you.

I hope that can help a bit :)

Like you I only play at home. That said if you can swing the cash it's definitely the way to go.
I've had every amp Under the Sun all the fun little gizmos. Used a helix for about a year and wasn't ever really happy with it. The Helix interface is great but if you're going to be sitting at your computer... axe edit will have you cover and the UI is super easy on the axe fx lll. The sound quality is just on a completely different level. Once you stop messing around with all the options and just actually play you get lost and can't even tell the difference or even care.
I'm running stereo Head Rush cabs. Super cheap and sounds great!

If these questions sound stupid, I really do apologize.

Don't take the sass from the crew offensively, there are many threads regarding this specific topic in many disconnected or desparate forum posts.

My first suggestion is to watch some YouTube playlists on people building out their own presets (here), and if you're so inclined, make a $120 investment to watch @ccroyalsenders's AFX III master class here: https://classes.coopercarter.com/. All of @2112 Leon's content is world-class as well on dialing in some awesome tones.

This would give you greater insights into the leap you are about to take. It's not if, it's when ;) we have all been FAS-pilled and Cliff & crew are Morpheus.

With all that said, being a full time employee elsewhere, husband, and father of three, FAS gear is the only way to go. My second suggestion however may not be to go full bore into the Axe-FX III if you do not feel you may need the added horsepower. This comes with a tradeoff of not owning the latest and not future proofing your rig for support. It sometimes feels like buying a Ferrari for the way the steering wheel feels and the daily commute to the shop. A used or B-stock Axe-FX II XL+ could meet your outlined needs as well with a solid set of Studio Monitors paying for quality.

Simply said: go for it, you won't regret it.

Most people handled your questions I think, so let me focus on something else you said:

You have to consider how you'll feel about menu diving. A modeler is in many ways a different universe than using a real amp, so prepare to read, feel stupid, and fight a learning curve. That being said, once you figure out how to interact with it, you can actually *grow* as a traditionalist. I considered myself a tube snob, but my knowledge of circuits and manipulating tube amps EXPLODED when I left them behind. Now my fractal devices are indispensable, and if I'm *stuck* with a tube rig for any reason I can get better tones and response out of it than I could when I was a purist.

one thing many people overlook is that many Axe-Fx users buy their very first computer ever along with the Axe. then these people unfortunately say "the Axe-Fx is hard to use." but it's because they don't know how to use a computer. over the years with 1-on-1 consultations, people may be surprised how much i'm actually teaching computer basics like folders, files, left click vs right click, saving, using a web browser etc.

it's these things that cause many to think the Axe-Fx is hard, but it's not. so if anyone isn't familiar with computers - which isn't a bad or shameful thing at all - just consider: the Axe-Fx is a computer, and you'll probably buy or use a personal computer to use along with the Axe. these points aren't necessarily trivial.

another point i usually make is that the Axe-Fx encompasses an entire guitar rig. people usually start with an amp/cab, then slowly add pedals as they learn things. too many people buy the Axe and try to "use all of it" right at the start to "get their money's worth." but money's worth has nothing to do with what you know how to use.

many people suggest doing the exact same thing with the Axe - start with an amp and cab, learn how to adjust that. then slowly add blocks/effects you are already familiar with. then add another later, and so on. just because it has everything, and now you "have everything" doesn't mean you suddenly know how to use it all. the Axe models real gear. if you don't know the real gear, you'll have to learn it the same way.

Another very important 'selling point' for the AxeIII, the after market support is second to none! AND the constant striving from Cliff & the FAS team to substantially improve the unit with regular firmware updates should not be overlooked.

I've said it before....best piece of gear I've ever bought!

Am I biased.....wasn't at first, but am now.

Back
Top Bottom