A Tone Epiphany

Read some of the "Tech Notes" in the "News and Announcements" section at the top of the forums list. A lot of good information including "The Power of Pre-EQ".

Fractal has gone above and beyond by giving tips and advice on how to use different parameters and their purpose as well explaining the different aspects of amp design and how it correlates to their models.

My style isn't proggy or hard, but i've always found a good balance using the low cut on the cab IR only, usually I set to just get rid of some of the extreme lows, like 80 and below.

To my ears that seems to clean things up without sacrificing much of the "real" tone

I use two different output eq profiles on the two outputs 1/2 to feed the PA (1) and my redsound monitor (2), with the redsound being quite darker and bassy then the usual stage monitor, so I cut first two eq knobs (31hz and 63hz) individually on each eq profile to keep things working.

Still a work in progress though...I'm a newbie with the ax8.

Now question : in your experience, how different is the amp cut compared to a cut in output eq?

And... I tend to feel that a complex reverb easily makes bass get muddy...

So eventually, Do you guys suggest a cut in the amp section, in the cab section, in the reverb section, or in the general output?

I use two different output eq profiles on the two outputs 1/2 to feed the PA (1) and my redsound monitor (2), with the redsound being quite darker and bassy then the usual stage monitor, so I cut first two eq knobs (31hz and 63hz) individually on each eq profile to keep things working.

Still a work in progress though...I'm a newbie with the ax8.

Now question : in your experience, how different is the amp cut compared to a cut in output eq?

And... I tend to feel that a complex reverb easily makes bass get muddy...

So eventually, Do you guys suggest a cut in the amp section, in the cab section, in the reverb section, or in the general output?
Amp cut cuts the bass going into the amp. totally affects everything after. Post eq is for fine tuning.

There is no real benefit to that. Adjust reverb to the mix you want (in series) the low cut on the reverb doesn't affect the dry signal...
I definitely think there's benefit when using big ambient verbs, keeps the low end from building up in the decays

I definitely think there's benefit when using big ambient verbs, keeps the low end from building up in the decays
I don't follow... The low cut in the reverb block removes whatever frequencies it removes from the wet signal. Whether that is in series or parallel should make no difference if the mix is set equivalently as only the wet signal is affected.

I don't follow... The low cut in the reverb block removes whatever frequencies it removes from the wet signal. Whether that is in series or parallel should make no difference if the mix is set equivalently as only the wet signal is affected.
was referring more to using low cut in the reverb block, not the routing.

You can also run your reverb in parallel at 100% wet and cut the lows on the reverb only.

There is no real benefit to that. Adjust reverb to the mix you want (in series) the low cut on the reverb doesn't affect the dry signal...

was referring more to using low cut in the reverb block, not the routing.
My comment was specifically about the parallel routing... ;)

Didn't realize that! I've just instinctively run revs and delays in parallel since my axefx ultra days...

Didn't realize that! I've just instinctively run revs and delays in parallel since my axefx ultra days...

For some reason I always run my verbs and delays in parallel. Should probably quit doing that for the sake of simplicity.

I was doing it for my the reverb for a while until I got educated by bakerman or simeon or yek (maybe all 3!). With the exception of something like not adding reverb to your delay tails, there's no difference between serial and parallel with the settings adjusted to accommodate the routing.

Back
Top Bottom