A Study in Plexis

iaresee

Administrator
I'm working on something shoegaze-y and wanted a big, huge wall of noise guitar sound to go with the soundscape I was building. Normally I'd gravitate towards a Tweed Deluxe or a Bassman here but today I decided to take a Plexi, leave all the knobs at their defaults, and then turn the input gain to 10 to see what would happen.

Oh. My.

These Plexi models are so damn good. They have these gorgeous harmonics that just swirl and sustain in the most musical way possible. A little dissonance or some suspended notes in your chord voicing pays off through these models with incredible bloom and a growly sustain that just envelopes you. It resonates your guitar and connects you with the whole chain so perfectly.

I might just be falling in love here.

My conclusion: we are spoiled for choice with this box. These models, each unique their response and sonic characteristics, are all incredibly musical and authentic. It is so hard to choose. I'll probably end up re-amping and blending a few of the 50W models together to really build the wall of noise.

If you haven't turned a Plexi to 10 yet, you really owe it to yourself to do so. It's something else.

I did a quick run-through of all the Plexi models, same settings, same riff to show off their uniqueness. You can get the preset here. Which is your favourite?

Man those 50 watt plexis sound so good. has a nice presence and just the right amount of spittiness for that riff... I'm realizing I tend to default to the 100w 1970 model most of the time when i want "That Plexi Thing", but will have to seriously consider going for the 50 jump next time I think, that's a killer tone.

Got me thinking that the dweezil's bman model in combination with one of the plexis there and a spacious verb might make for a pretty "yeeesss thaaaat" wall of sound tone... really stare at those loafers

Great post.

I like the 1970 model because of its thickness.
I also prefer the 50w over the 100w.

I liked this thread right away after reading the first sentence. The 1970 model was my previous go-to model but I recently changed to the JTM. I first used some graphic EQ before the power amp with the JTM, but after the newest updates I no longer feel it necessary. I feel like all the controls on 10 are a little too much, so I tend to leave the bass to 3-5, drive to 6-7 and the other settings at 8-10. Add some fuzz face or a TS and you're all set.

I think I finally have gotten the sound in my head with the JTM, but of course feel like revisiting some of the other Plexi models just to find something more that I like.

100W JTM/JMP would be also cool to try out, anyone? :)

I like these sounds :)

When I was Plexi shopping, as I first got the unit, I actually fell in love with the model of the re-issue - I think it is called 1987x (50W re-issue plexi)

And I just adore the JTM model, boy is that thing juicy

I like these sounds :)

When I was Plexi shopping, as I first got the unit, I actually fell in love with the model of the re-issue - I think it is called 1987x (50W re-issue plexi)

And I just adore the JTM model, boy is that thing juicy
It's odd that I somehow feel disconnected with the 1987x re-issue. The feel is just off for some reason I can't explain. Is it just me?

JTM is the bee's knees.

Actually - I'm quite surprised with the Plexi 50 Jump clip ...... it's bottom end remained remarkably unflubbed for being full open.

I've owned a few 100W Marshalls in my time ...... should have gone for the 50W ones instead ..... but bigger seemed better in my ignorance back then.

Can't beat a good Marshall opened up ...... well at least for the first couple of minutes until your ears admit defeat. :)

Actually - I'm quite surprised with the Plexi 50 Jump clip ...... it's bottom end remained remarkably unflubbed for being full open.
Yea, I was expecting it to just crumble with the input gain on 10 like that. I didn't touch the second gain knob. That stayed on 5. I suspect it would stay as strident in the low end if I dimed both of them.

My personal favourite was the 50W 6550 but the 50W Jumpered was a very, very close second.

Can't beat a good Marshall opened up ...... well at least for the first couple of minutes until your ears admit defeat. :)
The beauty of the Axe-Fx II, right? I tracked this at volumes that were loud but not deadly. Took only shouting-level volumes to get nice coupling with my guitar through my Tannoy monitors using these models when I recorded the reamp track. So nice.

I have to admit I'm surprised no one has commented on the speaker IR choice and CAB block setup yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom