A strange but yet good discovery.. I think? (F001: 1x6 Oval.. WTF?!)

Georgy

Inspired
Ok..

I wouldn't normally post something sporadic like this, but I had to share, and ask a question in the same time..

So I'm playing around with a Bogner XTC patch that I actually purchased via eBay a little while ago (the one from here I think: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Studio-P...074290?hash=item3a8ad14772:g:AK4AAOSwBahU4UmK). The way I've set most of patches up (in conjunction with my MFC) is so that I can toggle between X/Y for both AMP block and CAB block.

The X cab is F125: 4x12 5153 mix #2 (which is pretty decent), however cab Y is F001: 1x6 Oval.. Holy sh!T! The 1x6 Oval literally head-butted me in the balls!! Normally, the F001: 1x6 Oval sounds like ass, but this thing made the 5153 mix #2 sound somewhat inferior.. I can't work out how or why..? Guys I want to be clear for a moment; I'm not knocking the 5153, I'm just surprised more so by the 1x6 Oval..

Has anyone else experienced a similar thing? Is the 1x6 supposed to sound like this? (I assume it depends on amp, amp settings/cab settings etc?

I guess, is there anything we should know about the F001: 1x6 Oval, as in, do's and don't's?? Recommendations?

Thanks guys.

PS, Happy to post this preset if need be..

(NOTE, I'm playing this via my Freidman ASM).

Attachments

• Bogner Ecstasy with ASM.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
Ok..

I wouldn't normally post something sporadic like this, but I had to share, and ask a question in the same time..

So I'm playing around with a Bogner XTC patch that I actually purchased via eBay a little while ago (the one from here I think: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Studio-P...074290?hash=item3a8ad14772:g:AK4AAOSwBahU4UmK). The way I've set most of patches up (in conjunction with my MFC) is so that I can toggle between X/Y for both AMP block and CAB block.

The X cab is F125: 4x12 5153 mix #2 (which is pretty decent), however cab Y is F001: 1x6 Oval.. Holy sh!T! The 1x6 Oval literally head-butted me in the balls!! Normally, the F001: 1x6 Oval sounds like ass, but this thing made the 5153 mix #2 sound somewhat inferior.. I can't work out how or why..? Guys I want to be clear for a moment; I'm not knocking the 5153, I'm just surprised more so by the 1x6 Oval..

Has anyone else experienced a similar thing? Is the 1x6 supposed to sound like this? (I assume it depends on amp, amp settings/cab settings etc?

I guess, is there anything we should know about the F001: 1x6 Oval, as in, do's and don't's?? Recommendations?

Thanks guys.

PS, Happy to post this preset if need be..

(NOTE, I'm playing this via my Freidman ASM).
I'll have to try this tomorrow when I'm with my rig.
Off topic but have you tried the CLR's? I have been going crazy trying to figure out what I should order! The CLR's are smaller and lighter and have the switch on the back for different positions but I have heard from you and others that the Friedman's sound great. I don't want to order both and have to deal with shipping and returns and all that. I wish I could just try both somewhere before purchasing. Thanks and I'll try that patch of yours!

I think there is something in the wiki about the oval.
Back in the axe ultra days, somebody discovered that including the oval as a second cab, really added a mid range clarity that allowed patches to cut through a mix really well.

I'll have to try this tomorrow when I'm with my rig.
Off topic but have you tried the CLR's? I have been going crazy trying to figure out what I should order! The CLR's are smaller and lighter and have the switch on the back for different positions but I have heard from you and others that the Friedman's sound great. I don't want to order both and have to deal with shipping and returns and all that. I wish I could just try both somewhere before purchasing. Thanks and I'll try that patch of yours!

Right you are REDD..

I think a lot of this can come down to how much you and your ears like FRFR. If you're 50/50, the ASM for sure. If you want complete and total FRFR, maybe the CLR might be a better option for you.

I used to have the CLR. Great weight and compact size with plenty of punch. However, I really couldn't bond with it, couldn't dial out that spikey core tone that it just seems to have. For weeks and months I tried to mess around with my patches (both at bedroom volume and band volume) with CLR and I struggled. The cleans were better than the dirties. I tried this with the stock cabs and with purchased ones as well - and no cigar.

But there's guys on here like Yek who has two CLRs and prefers them to the Friedman ASM. I've read on here that there's heaps of guys that prefer the CLR as it is supposed to give players the most flattest response possible, and that's fine if that's what you want, I guess. My ears prefer the ASM because, again, to my ears, it sounds more like a real guitar cab compared to the sounds of the CLR. Maybe my ears really don't like/want complete flat response.. somehow the ASM gives me, or delivers rather, a good amount of FRFR with my patches, but there's a stronger element of 'feel' and 'real cab' like thing going on. Hard to explain! The CLR wins from a size/portability point of view, but that's it in my eyes. The Friedman is worth the carry weight because the sounds it delivers is awesome.

If you can somehow try both, do it. Above all, definitely try either or out in a band environment, that's probably the key, otherwise if you're predominantly a bedroom player, toss a coin!

If you can't... well.. you know my response!

Right you are REDD..

I think a lot of this can come down to how much you and your ears like FRFR. If you're 50/50, the ASM for sure. If you want complete and total FRFR, maybe the CLR might be a better option for you.

I used to have the CLR. Great weight and compact size with plenty of punch. However, I really couldn't bond with it, couldn't dial out that spikey core tone that it just seems to have. For weeks and months I tried to mess around with my patches (both at bedroom volume and band volume) with CLR and I struggled. The cleans were better than the dirties. I tried this with the stock cabs and with purchased ones as well - and no cigar.

But there's guys on here like Yek who has two CLRs and prefers them to the Friedman ASM. I've read on here that there's heaps of guys that prefer the CLR as it is supposed to give players the most flattest response possible, and that's fine if that's what you want, I guess. My ears prefer the ASM because, again, to my ears, it sounds more like a real guitar cab compared to the sounds of the CLR. Maybe my ears really don't like/want complete flat response.. somehow the ASM gives me, or delivers rather, a good amount of FRFR with my patches, but there's a stronger element of 'feel' and 'real cab' like thing going on. Hard to explain! The CLR wins from a size/portability point of view, but that's it in my eyes. The Friedman is worth the carry weight because the sounds it delivers is awesome.

If you can somehow try both, do it. Above all, definitely try either or out in a band environment, that's probably the key, otherwise if you're predominantly a bedroom player, toss a coin!

If you can't... well.. you know my response!
Thanks Georgy! That really helps me and I do appreciate it very much. I play live and we play loud and heavy stuff. I want it to thump and chug and I don't want to bring my big heavy rig any more.

Back
Top Bottom