A simple AITR vs FRFR question.

Donnie B.

Experienced
As far as I can remember both AITR/CITR and FRFR are 'things' that have only been discussed Ad Nauseam
for the past 3-4 years. I actually think it's was the advent of FRFR that actually kicked off the whole thing.

It's now said to be understood that a modeler/IR/FRFR setup is not going to sound like AITR/CITR, but instead
it will sound like a guitar/amp that has been mic'd and played back through monitors.

Here's the question:

Modelers have been out now for over 20 years. In the first 10 years of their existence, can anyone
point to an instance where a company marketed this fact? Or was it just assumed all along and it took
third party IRs and FRFRs to bring it out in the open?

I'm not trying to argue or prove anything.
Just something I've been wondering about a lot since the other thread.

No one? Come on. You haven't ever wondered about this and simply just took it to
be a given from Day #1 of the original POD?

"This won't sound like an amp but it will sound like the recording of an amp. Cool!"

It always seemed to be implied by the fact you chose a mic, etc...

?????

I don't remember having to choose a mic with modelers from 10 years ago.
Definitely don't remember it on the POD. I know you could switch
it to DI for recording.

My memory sucks these days though.......

2009 i think. The only real weakness for the time period was fizzy cab sims. You could use a IR loader and make it sound great.

Not sure if they are still around, but you can have the new and improved version by buying a Headrush.

@68injunhed I had a Digitech 2120 for a few years back then (both regular and then Artist)
Will have to track down the manual to see how they addressed mics and cabs.

Thanks to www.manuallib.com another blast from the past

ZFjdrSu.jpg

I’d wager a good percentage of guitar players have never heard their guitar recorded. Less so these days as recording tech has gotten so cheap, but back in the day I’d say it was like a majority who played amp in room because the alternative was a studio and that cost money

so why market to something your typical buyer doesn’t know ?

I’d wager a good percentage of guitar players have never heard their guitar recorded. Less so these days as recording tech has gotten so cheap, but back in the day I’d say it was like a majority who played amp in room because the alternative was a studio and that cost money

so why market to something your typical buyer doesn’t know ?

Good question.

If the majority of guitarists were only use to hearing an amp in a room, wouldn't that be what
the first digital systems would be trying to emulate? The early stuff was all about this amp or
that amp without any mention at all about recorded tone. (except the DI outs)

While guitarists were use to hearing amps, they, or at least I, was trying to emulate recorded tones. Modelers made that easier.

Back
Top Bottom