A+ Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700

Tom Morris

Power User
Had an issue last weekend playing at a club that was our first time at. The second set we blew the circuit breaker half way through. After that My Matrix GT1000FX kept going into protection mode, I suspect it was an under power issue as we had started to creep up in volume PA and stage. Just to be on the safe side I ordered a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700. Today I gave the Powerstage a good stress test running 40 songs through it at stage volume. First impression was it sounded just as good as the Matrix with the added plus of having both sides controlled by one volume knob. Another plus is it has Low/Mid/Treble knobs as well. I pulled a bit of low out of all my presets and added it back in the amp, so Low at 1 o’clock Mid/Treble straight up. I didn’t push it super hard but damn loud enough. Axe Fx at 11 oclock and the Powerstage at 10 o’clock. The only drawback that I can see are the inputs are on the front and the power switch is on the back, other than that this thing is a winner. You can buy from the big chains and get a discount, I got it for just under 600.

Agree with this completely. AND sold my Matrix Gt1000Fx to get it. Love it, but ya, wish power button was on the front and inputs on the back. Otherwise, I love the thing. Sounds incredible. With the Matrix I had to do some extra programming on the axe-fx side of things in the FX loop chain, with the Powerstage its all right there on the front. Love it.

I just had to send mine back...only had it for like 1month, maybe less. I bought with the intention of running two guitarists through it but the craziest thing...when I roll the Bass knob up to 3'oclock it spikes in volume and BOTH gutiars bleed into both channels out both cabs...before and after 3 o'clock its fine.

Guitar 1 > LEFT IN > SPEAKER OUT L > SEPERATE LEFT CAB
Guitar 2 > RIGHT IN > SPEAKER OUT R > SEPERATE RIGHT CAB

so two totally separate signals...wtf. lol Sweetwater is sending me a new one.

Also the right speaker out port is jacked. I know it has Speakon connection but all I had were reg. speaker cables and I could effortlessly wiggle the cable from right speaker out and the cable will just fall out...doesn't snap in. L Speaker out works just fine, snaps firmly in place.

Anyways, though I'd share. Love the tone and power it brings though. Hopefully the replacement will be just fine.

Had an issue last weekend playing at a club that was our first time at. The second set we blew the circuit breaker half way through. After that My Matrix GT1000FX kept going into protection mode, I suspect it was an under power issue as we had started to creep up in volume PA and stage. Just to be on the safe side I ordered a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700. Today I gave the Powerstage a good stress test running 40 songs through it at stage volume. First impression was it sounded just as good as the Matrix with the added plus of having both sides controlled by one volume knob. Another plus is it has Low/Mid/Treble knobs as well. I pulled a bit of low out of all my presets and added it back in the amp, so Low at 1 o’clock Mid/Treble straight up. I didn’t push it super hard but damn loud enough. Axe Fx at 11 oclock and the Powerstage at 10 o’clock. The only drawback that I can see are the inputs are on the front and the power switch is on the back, other than that this thing is a winner. You can buy from the big chains and get a discount, I got it for just under 600.
Can I ask you how you connect your AXE FX to the SEYMOUR DUNCAN POWERSTAGE 700?

Just bought a power stage 170, as i was tired of dragging my Marshall 8008 around (I got the 8008 because i got tired of dragging my 2:ninety around) for stage sound, and the power stage is amazing! Sure, it doesn't sound as awesome as the 2:ninety (nothing does really imo), but it's way louder and clearer sounding than the 8008! I now kinda regret that I didn't get the 700 in case I want to play around with stereo on stage, but for my needs and not my wishes it is perfect!

Maybe a stupid question, but how much rack space does the 700 take up if you mount it? Trying to figure out how big I need to go for a furman, powerstage 700, and axe fx 3. It looks bigger than 1u but doesn’t really look like it’s 2u so I’m guessing I’d need a 6u rack to fit all of it in?

Your right it's larger then 1 RU but less then 2 RU (1-3/8" clearance) , but that clearance is a good thing because they do get quite warm.

Did you prefer matrix or seymour duncan 700? Feel, tone ecc

Hate to say it but I did go back to the Matrix. Now the SD is back home in its box. I guess in my case it seemed like a feel thing, maybe more saturated. I haven't done a side by side back and forth test. I had been using the SD for two months then decided to plug the Matrix in and see if it was still working and haven't tried the SD since.

Back
Top Bottom