a selection of FR/FR ......but i need a choice

Problem with near and even mid-field studio monitors is they are designed to be just that, near or mid-field. I have Prosonus Scepter S6's, which is a fantastic coaxial design (similar to the CLR in fact) which has fantastic stereo imaging and all and all is everything I want in a studio monitor. HOWEVER, they are set-up to be ear level and at a equilateral triangle position from my ears when I'm sitting at my desk. Again, fine and good when sitting at my desk, but do I always sit there and play guitar in my chair ? No.....

I like to move around the room a bit, I like to stand up so I can use my EXP pedals etc. As such, I'm out of the sweet spot of my desktop monitors and the sound changes.

Enter the CLR, which sounds very, very similar to the desktops, but with this fantastic 90 degree dispersion of flat reproduce on both axis, which allows me to hear it the same if I'm right in front of it, off to the side etc. It simple works better for hearing myself play in a more typical standing/sitting/moving situation.

It also hits harder with a 12" speaker and way more volume when I do turn things up a bit, which feels more like a typical guitar amp to me than listening to sound coming from a studio monitor which just can't get as loud.

Just works perfectly for its job of giving accurate tonal reproduction over a wide range of output levels and listening positions

The CLR can be set to be on the floor or in upper position, I need to réalise the equilateral triangle as you with the H8s
The CLR are totally dedicated to guitar and they are my choice

I'm surprised anyone likes the K10 better than the RCF. I had one and it can't compete IMO (the bass is hyped and the highs get harsh very soon). But when you like that...

As you can see, sound quality is very much in the ear of the listener. Depending on the speaker you select, you can find someone to tell you it's the best and someone to tell you it's the worst. And to them, it is! These are opinions of users, and have value, but in the end your ears will be the deciding factor on "best." If there is any way at all for you to hear them, or even better to play on them, that'll be helpful. The top option would be to have it with you, in your environment, hooked up to your rig. That option comes down to the return policy of your seller.

I've been fortunate to have found a speaker I liked early on. I'm not one to change often once I find something I like, so the RCF has served me incredibly well. While there may well be better options out now, speakers I would even prefer if compared, I am still quite satisfied and that RCF has paid for itself many times over in gig income. A thought to add to the mix here is that you can sometimes find a speaker that inspires, then from there spend your time tweaking your playing rather than your amplification. That'll sound better on any speaker!

As you can see, sound quality is very much in the ear of the listener. Depending on the speaker you select, you can find someone to tell you it's the best and someone to tell you it's the worst. And to them, it is! These are opinions of users, and have value, but in the end your ears will be the deciding factor on "best." If there is any way at all for you to hear them, or even better to play on them, that'll be helpful. The top option would be to have it with you, in your environment, hooked up to your rig. That option comes down to the return policy of your seller.

I've been fortunate to have found a speaker I liked early on. I'm not one to change often once I find something I like, so the RCF has served me incredibly well. While there may well be better options out now, speakers I would even prefer if compared, I am still quite satisfied and that RCF has paid for itself many times over in gig income. A thought to add to the mix here is that you can sometimes find a speaker that inspires, then from there spend your time tweaking your playing rather than your amplification. That'll sound better on any speaker!
I have no opportunity to test none for he RCF or the CLR, it s like this in Europe and especially in France, maybe I won t be able to buy two CLR if I decide
So you re lucky when you have the chance to test different products and even more to buy the ones you want ....

I agree, we in the US are very lucky that way. I didn't have the opportunity to hear it first, but had the option to return. Having heard Merlin17 discuss it, then Scott Peterson post on it, it inspired me to give it a try. I'm a musician who has been playing 40+ years, and working full time in a regular job nearly all of that as well, so at this point in my life the diligence in working hard has paid off and gives me some latitude in purchasing power, but it certainly isn't limitless. In this way, I still have to get the most mileage from my equipment, hence my staying with what I have even though it has been overtaken in popularity by the CLR, Friedman, and such. I like it, and that is the deciding factor for me. It will be for you too, I think.

Take this one word of encouragement, if you will: Don't overthink this. Monumental players have built their chops, gigs, and fan base on amplification costing less than half of what an AxeFx costs without a monitor. Get the best monitor you can manage, and focus on your playing. I bet you'll do just fine. :)

thanks Mick ;)
i already have lots of pleasure with my H8S and it has been a long road and finally a dream come true to have the possibility to offer me an Axe Fx.....
and i think i m really lucky of that......

Why does Atomic not just license their technology to someone in Europe instead of trying to distribute their cabs in Europe? License fee plus no import taxes plus less shipping costs could be a working business model.

Why does Atomic not just license their technology to someone in Europe instead of trying to distribute their cabs in Europe? License fee plus no import taxes plus less shipping costs could be a working business model.

???
I don't have any inside or otherwise knowledge into Atomics business, nor do I have any business management degree or specific knowledge in that area, but with that disclaimer aside, I can't see a single advantage to licensing their tech from Atomics point of view - unless they are not in business to make money ,-) or unless the demand for CLRs grow massively as in way past the ranks of guitar players with modeling devices, where a mega corp. might be interested in making Atomic a very sweet offer.
Even then, depending on the offer, it could be in Atomics interest to keep their product "in-house".
Nor do I see a any advantage for the consumers.
The CLRs are build in China, if someone were to license the tech, they would also build it in China as there is nowhere in Europe that you could build it cheaper than in China.
So they would ship the same distance, and as consumer we would probably have to pay more since there was now a second company that had to make money on the product (price of the CLR + licensing fee to Atomic).
I think Atomic goes to great lengths to offer Europeans a great product at the same price as in the US - which is a rare thing.
We will just have to accept that with a small company like Atomic, with a relatively low volume of CLRs sold and with a price that matches the US price, we sometimes have to wait for them to restock their products.

Hi
UK seller was expecting to have today few CLR available , it hasn t and without haviing any idea on the delay......
i don t know since when Atomicamp europe is out of stock for CLR, they should at least give informations.....

???
I don't have any inside or otherwise knowledge into Atomics business, nor do I have any business management degree or specific knowledge in that area, but with that disclaimer aside, I can't see a single advantage to licensing their tech from Atomics point of view - unless they are not in business to make money ,-) or unless the demand for CLRs grow massively as in way past the ranks of guitar players with modeling devices, where a mega corp. might be interested in making Atomic a very sweet offer.
Even then, depending on the offer, it could be in Atomics interest to keep their product "in-house".
Nor do I see a any advantage for the consumers.
The CLRs are build in China, if someone were to license the tech, they would also build it in China as there is nowhere in Europe that you could build it cheaper than in China.
So they would ship the same distance, and as consumer we would probably have to pay more since there was now a second company that had to make money on the product (price of the CLR + licensing fee to Atomic).
I think Atomic goes to great lengths to offer Europeans a great product at the same price as in the US - which is a rare thing.
We will just have to accept that with a small company like Atomic, with a relatively low volume of CLRs sold and with a price that matches the US price, we sometimes have to wait for them to restock their products.

Well, I didn´t know they were manufactured in China. In fact it would not make sense then and my post is pointless.
Maybe not 100 % pointless: I have two cabs in about the same price range and quality: Xitone and Dynacord - they are not manufactured in China (not talking about electronic chips here). I believed CLR did the same. With this perspective I counted in 100 dollars for shipping a nearly 20 kilo package and 23 % import and custom taxes. If I would buy a 700 dollar cab in the US I would have to pay nearly 1000 dollars in total. By the way I do not buy your point that Atomic goes to great lengths to offer Europeans a great product at the same price as in the US. Sounds like generosity would be involved. I guess it´s rather a matter of transport costs, current currency exchange rates, different import taxes and a price calculation in regard to the competition.
Well, whatever... no need for an argument. I guess there are enough customers who will gladly buy them here in Europe when they are available. If they produced a smaller cab I would have one on my wish list as well...

For myself I don t mind where Atomic are producing their CLR , think that Europe is far to be their priority even if the demand is lmortant , even with a higher price than U.S they would sell a huge quantity but they don t mind as there no information on possible avaibility , quantity....
Even no contact possible so a little nit of frustration and maybe lots of people will go on others products.....
For myself I think I ll go for Matrix fr10 or fr12 as the RCF nx12 as really a huge price in Europe,
Almost 1500 dollars for just one monitor, really too much !!!!
It s not my first choice but waiting for a product without having almost a simple idea of delay shows the interest of Atomic for European customers , so no need to wait for them....

For myself I don t mind where Atomic are producing their CLR , think that Europe is far to be their priority even if the demand is lmortant , even with a higher price than U.S they would sell a huge quantity but they don t mind as there no information on possible avaibility , quantity....
Even no contact possible so a little nit of frustration and maybe lots of people will go on others products.....
For myself I think I ll go for Matrix fr10 or fr12 as the RCF nx12 as really a huge price in Europe,
Almost 1500 dollars for just one monitor, really too much !!!!
It s not my first choice but waiting for a product without having almost a simple idea of delay shows the interest of Atomic for European customers , so no need to wait for them....
I would be hesitant to do this, I've searched around a bit and it seems general consensus is that the CLR blows it away. Have you looked at XiTone?

I would be hesitant to do this, I've searched around a bit and it seems general consensus is that the CLR blows it away. Have you looked at XiTone?
Hi
No I didn't t
Tell me a bit more on Xitone if you don t mind...
I want the CLR and nothing else but if not possible I have to change my mind not without difficulties....

There is lots of info on this forum. I don't own any of the high end FRFR so I'm just going off of what I've read here. I just play through HS8s or my EV ELX115P PA system.

They work great for me, but I haven't really tried a lot of different monitors. for playing in a bedroom or living room they are really nice.
To me the high end FRFR monitors are for getting more volume and gut punch more than increasing how good the tone sounds.
If I needed a stage monitor for my guitar I would most likely get a XiTone cab, or if I wanted lots of volume and natural feedback at home I might get one. At this point I just need something that is going to translate well to both IEMs and a high powered PA, the HS8s work great for that!
What exactly are you trying to accomplish by changing monitors? Unless you can define the improvement you are looking for there isn't much reason to change what you have.
Are you looking for more volume?
Do you want it to be easier to get natural feedback?
Do you find your current system lacks clarity?
Are you wanting to have a monitor that a whole band can play through?
Are you wanting more despersion or a wider sweet spot?
Do you just want to have the best of the best so that you aren't second guessing your setup?
Let us know exactly what you are wanting to improve over your current system.

They work great for me, but I haven't really tried a lot of different monitors. for playing in a bedroom or living room they are really nice.
To me the high end FRFR monitors are for getting more volume and gut punch more than increasing how good the tone sounds.
If I needed a stage monitor for my guitar I would most likely get a XiTone cab, or if I wanted lots of volume and natural feedback at home I might get one. At this point I just need something that is going to translate well to both IEMs and a high powered PA, the HS8s work great for that!
What exactly are you trying to accomplish by changing monitors? Unless you can define the improvement you are looking for there isn't much reason to change what you have.
Are you looking for more volume?
Do you want it to be easier to get natural feedback?
Do you find your current system lacks clarity?
Are you wanting to have a monitor that a whole band can play through?
Are you wanting more despersion or a wider sweet spot?
Do you just want to have the best of the best so that you aren't second guessing your setup?
Let us know exactly what you are wanting to improve over your current system.
Like you I did not try many monitors and I did with my budget after having paid the axe.
Now I candidat better and expect much better sound, more flat, what comes out from the axe comes out from the monitors!!!!
With the CLR you can play at bed room volume and loud, they are created FOR the axe and give you the feeling of an amp cab....
The H8s are for studio monitoring first.....

Back
Top Bottom