A Review of Moke's Custom Preset Design Service

paisan

After commissioning some custom tones from Moke last year, and having an overwhelmingly positive experience, I wanted to share it all with the community here.

First, a bit about me, for perspective. Over my life I’ve always been a guitar guy, but since I was only a bedroom or living room player, I never really became an amp guy or pedal guy. About a year ago I joined my first band ever, and got an AX8 which is my first ever emulator and first overall good “amp”. I could play the songs, and download presets, but I don’t have the life experience to really create good sounds from scratch on my own.

Enter Moke. My band added Wicked Game to our set list simply because his preset is so good, you’ve got to try it. Based on that, I reached out to him for help with two songs I was rehearsing but couldn’t get tones for. Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots and Blue on Black by Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

First was Interstate. Moke asked me if I had a direct recording of me playing which he could use to make a perfect tone for me, but I didn’t. We had a quick discussion about which guitars I owned and would be using for each song, and he set to work.

Shortly thereafter, he sent a test clip demoing all the scenes, and it sounded great to me. Then we squared up for his time (I think this one was 3 hours?) and he sent me the file.

OH MY GOD. I don’t know what else to say. From the first not of the intro tone, it is perfect. The attention to detail blew me away. When you switch from scene 1 to scene 2 it does a volume swell automatically. When you switch from scene 2 to 3 and back again is is all programmed to NOT volume swell, which I’m in love with.

Then he did Blue on Black. The Acoustic Simulator preset Moke designed himself is included, and simply the best. Then there’s the great verse scene with layered electric and acoustic sounds and effects that are just beautiful to my ears. Then that solo tone. Every single guitar player, without fail, has exclaimed, “Holy shit!” when they hear it for the first time. And I can’t even play that good! And of course, Moke noticed that the solo tone at the end of the original recording was slightly different, so he made a scene for that. And included a scene for the verse without a layer in case I’m playing with someone else on acoustic. 10/10, for real.

Then he helped me with Gone Away, Gold on the Ceiling, and Little Black Submarines. They’re perfect, of course.

This is all so easy to work with live and the audience always has someone remarking how great the guitar sounds.

We’re having a band meeting on Tuesday to pick new songs. I can’t wait to work with Moke again.

After commissioning some custom tones from Moke last year, and having an overwhelmingly positive experience, I wanted to share it all with the community here.

First, a bit about me, for perspective. Over my life I’ve always been a guitar guy, but since I was only a bedroom or living room player, I never really became an amp guy or pedal guy. About a year ago I joined my first band ever, and got an AX8 which is my first ever emulator and first overall good “amp”. I could play the songs, and download presets, but I don’t have the life experience to really create good sounds from scratch on my own.

Enter Moke. My band added Wicked Game to our set list simply because his preset is so good, you’ve got to try it. Based on that, I reached out to him for help with two songs I was rehearsing but couldn’t get tones for. Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots and Blue on Black by Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

First was Interstate. Moke asked me if I had a direct recording of me playing which he could use to make a perfect tone for me, but I didn’t. We had a quick discussion about which guitars I owned and would be using for each song, and he set to work.

Shortly thereafter, he sent a test clip demoing all the scenes, and it sounded great to me. Then we squared up for his time (I think this one was 3 hours?) and he sent me the file.

OH MY GOD. I don’t know what else to say. From the first not of the intro tone, it is perfect. The attention to detail blew me away. When you switch from scene 1 to scene 2 it does a volume swell automatically. When you switch from scene 2 to 3 and back again is is all programmed to NOT volume swell, which I’m in love with.

Then he did Blue on Black. The Acoustic Simulator preset Moke designed himself is included, and simply the best. Then there’s the great verse scene with layered electric and acoustic sounds and effects that are just beautiful to my ears. Then that solo tone. Every single guitar player, without fail, has exclaimed, “Holy shit!” when they hear it for the first time. And I can’t even play that good! And of course, Moke noticed that the solo tone at the end of the original recording was slightly different, so he made a scene for that. And included a scene for the verse without a layer in case I’m playing with someone else on acoustic. 10/10, for real.

Then he helped me with Gone Away, Gold on the Ceiling, and Little Black Submarines. They’re perfect, of course.

This is all so easy to work with live and the audience always has someone remarking how great the guitar sounds.

We’re having a band meeting on Tuesday to pick new songs. I can’t wait to work with Moke again.

I just ordered another 8 this morning in addition to the 8 I already own - Moke = super tones, amazing skills

I just ordered another 8 this morning in addition to the 8 I already own - Moke = super tones, amazing skills

Yeah man. I really believe that Fractal’s engineers deigned the best hardware and Fractal’s programmers make the best firmware, but without Moke’s presets, you’re only getting half the experience.

Wow! Thanks for the awesome review @paisan ......

I just happened to find this on page 5 of recent posts. I wasn't tagged, so I could have missed it. I was attending the NAMM show, so I went back a few pages to see what I may have missed.

It was a pleasure working with you, looking forward to it again. All of the tones that you requested were so interesting that (some slightly edited versions of) all of them made it into the store eventually for others to enjoy. The one advantage to that is, now you will be able to get the free updates for your presets. And also any improvements that come along.

Moke's U2 presets, Pride and Streets, were so good, I was inspired to learn the riffs and then demoed them for my band, and they all enthusiastically wanted to play them! We get tons of compliments on those tunes, along with Rush's Limelight and Tesla's Love Song. (If Moke would only make a Red Barchetta patch, my drummer would be in 7th Heaven!)

I use a modified version of @Moke's JCM 100 patch for my "generic" rock guitar sounds as well.

Last Friday, a professional touring drummer came up to me and asked "is your guitar running direct? It sounds amazing!" He was blown away, and I just play in a weekend warrior local band, but have some great players with me!

Fractal + @Moke 's Custom Presets = Tons of guitar playing fun!

Moke's U2 presets, Pride and Streets, were so good, I was inspired to learn the riffs and then demoed them for my band, and they all enthusiastically wanted to play them! We get tons of compliments on those tunes, along with Rush's Limelight and Tesla's Love Song. (If Moke would only make a Red Barchetta patch, my drummer would be in 7th Heaven!)

I use a modified version of @Moke's JCM 100 patch for my "generic" rock guitar sounds as well.

Last Friday, a professional touring drummer came up to me and asked "is your guitar running direct? It sounds amazing!" He was blown away, and I just play in a weekend warrior local band, but have some great players with me!

Fractal + @Moke 's Custom Presets = Tons of guitar playing fun!
Thanks Brother,

I can't wait to get my hands on the Axe-FX III see what kind of craziness I can make........

Back
Top Bottom