A really special project (for me) using FW10

Poparad

Power User
The amps in FW10 sound so amazing, that I finally decided to tackle a project I've been wanting to try for a while. My main band, Axon-Neuron, a prog-rock band, released our first album in May of 2011. We only had four days to record, mix, and master an entire album (including record a 12-piece string orchestra), as 3/5 of the band were moving out of town. The singer and keyboardist moved to Chicago and the drummer went on tour with the Glenn Miller Orchestra, which he's still doing two years later. I knew this when I formed the band, which at first was just an excuse to play with some good friends one last time before they moved away. Everything turned out so well that some other friends stepped forward to replace them immediately, and we're still going today, with a third album in the works.

So, needless to say, with only four days to make a full length album, some things were sacrificed in the name of time. The mixes were OK, but not stellar, and I didn't get to do a lot of guitar multitracking.

Enter the AxeFX, which makes recording and reamping a breeze. I went through the entire album over the last month and remixed it, reamped the bass tracks using the Axe's Ampeg SVT, and recorded new guitars on about half the material. I primarily used the Twin Reverb for cleans, the Friedman HBE and Cameron CCV together for distortion, and the 65 Bassman for crunchy tones.

Here's the first track I did for the album, which uses all of the above amps, except for the Twin. All guitars on this track are new with the AxeFX.

Here are the patches, for anyone who's interested:
View attachment Cameron CCV.syx
View attachment Ampeg SVT.syx
View attachment Crunchy Bassman.syx
View attachment Freidman HBE.syx
View attachment Twin Reverb Mix.syx

If you want to check out the rest of the album, it's free to download on Bandcamp:
Brainsongs 2.0 | Axon-Neuron

The lyrics are based on this interview with Richard Feynman about science vs. beauty (which as guitarists, we recognize as the "will theory kill my creativity" debate).

It's an excerpt from an hour long video called "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out," which is also on Youtube, and very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom