A real overdrive pedal

That can affect the tone and response of certain pedals though, often for the worse, as the effect loop runs at a line level. My analogman nkt germanium fuzz for example sounds and responds to the volume pot very differently in the loop, just as it does when it’s behind a buffered pedal etc

I run some modulation effects in the loop, like the SA Vertigo and it sounds great anywhere, but some pedals IMO, need to be first in the signal chain for “best” or authentic response, tone and interaction

My comment was solely targeted at comparing the real and virtual pedals.

BTW, the line level off the effects loop can easily be adjusted with the Output 2 knob. The impedance is the same as the front input.

I picked up this beat up original UK made Guvnor this week and it just sounds awesome with my XL+, its a little reliced :) gain pot shaft is broken off almost in the dimed position where it actually sounds killer. I usually go with built in drives and get the sound or really close to it, this pedal for me though has a little magic inside. Get me some Gary Moore tones. ( have the sound just need the skills now lol)

Attachments

• Guvnor.jpeg
    Guvnor.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 15
My comment was solely targeted at comparing the real and virtual pedals.

BTW, the line level off the effects loop can easily be adjusted with the Output 2 knob. The impedance is the same as the front input.

But surely if one is “comparing” they want to present the hardware pedal with its best possible tone, and running some pedals in the loop does not provide that, so ithst regard, the virtual pedal may sound “as good” but is it ?

It’s no different than using a wireless unit for that matter. Many fuzz pedals simply aren’t going to sound the same if the output is coming from a wireless unit vs coming from direct cable going from the guitar right into the pedal.

I paid over $300 for my analogman nkt sunface. Reason that pedal cost so much is the amazing ability to go from spanking clean to wooly fuzz with slight adjustment of the volume pot on the guitar. It also sounds different using a carbon style battery vs a 9v adapter. Heck some say having a LED in the circuit changes the tone.

Anyways though, point is that if I paid all that money for a specific pedal that produces a certain tone, why would I want to do anything that lessens the tone ?

I wouldn’t stick a boss pedal with buffer in front, I wouldn’t run a wireless in front, and I wouldn’t run it in the effects loop.

There is nothing “wrong” with doing that per say, but it comes back to why use an expensive pedal and not get the best out of it ?

I picked up this beat up original UK made Guvnor this week and it just sounds awesome with my XL+, its a little reliced :) gain pot shaft is broken off almost in the dimed position where it actually sounds killer. I usually go with built in drives and get the sound or really close to it, this pedal for me though has a little magic inside. Get me some Gary Moore tones. ( have the sound just need the skills now lol)

I LOVE the Guvnor. I had one of those as well. Easily in my top 5 of favorite overdrive/distortion pedals. I wish it was modeled in the Axe instead of the Ruckus.

Didn't get the opportunity to try my Xotic infront of the Axe lastnight as we were running late. Hopefully I will get the time for it at tonight's show.

But surely if one is “comparing” they want to present the hardware pedal with its best possible tone, and running some pedals in the loop does not provide that, so ithst regard, the virtual pedal may sound “as good” but is it ?

It’s no different than using a wireless unit for that matter. Many fuzz pedals simply aren’t going to sound the same if the output is coming from a wireless unit vs coming from direct cable going from the guitar right into the pedal.

I paid over $300 for my analogman nkt sunface. Reason that pedal cost so much is the amazing ability to go from spanking clean to wooly fuzz with slight adjustment of the volume pot on the guitar. It also sounds different using a carbon style battery vs a 9v adapter. Heck some say having a LED in the circuit changes the tone.

Anyways though, point is that if I paid all that money for a specific pedal that produces a certain tone, why would I want to do anything that lessens the tone ?

I wouldn’t stick a boss pedal with buffer in front, I wouldn’t run a wireless in front, and I wouldn’t run it in the effects loop.

There is nothing “wrong” with doing that per say, but it comes back to why use an expensive pedal and not get the best out of it ?

Fuzz Face pedals are pretty much unique in that regard. The complete lack of any kind of buffer in the input essentially integrates the pickups, volume, and tone pots (not to mention the battery) into the circuit. Putting anything in between the guitar and the FF breaks that integration and all of the magic escapes.

I sometimes use my Brunetti Mercury box in front of the Axe. I like the fact you have more real time control that way and you can adjust the level of drive versus clean much better that way. If you switch a lot between clean and drive that is one of hardest things to match. It can depend on the acoustics of the venue and many other factors. You can not adjust this quickly in the middle of a song. With a pedal you can.

There's also a "back and forth" effect. I've been using some great drive pedals that I love with a real amp for a while - low to mid gains, And I bought an XL+ this week, I'm thinking Wow these drives sound so great! ---- there's just something about going back and forth that somehow makes new (or new yet old) sound so good. Correct answer is probably that both "real" and "modeled" are extremely useful depending on what you're doing at the moment

Back
Top Bottom