A quick review from a Fractal newbie

J-V

Inspired
Tomorrow will be a week since the elusive UPS dude delivered my FM3. I say elusive, because apparently they don’t call anymore, just show up and after waiting the bare minimum just take off. I had to chase the guy, but it was worth it.

Anyway, I’ve never had, or even tried a Fractal device before this one. I’ve owned a few modelers by different companies, yes, but I never really loved using any of them for different reasons. Having spent a couple of weeks leading up to getting the unit watching YT videos about Fractal gear in general, and reading the manual, certainly helped, but the learning curve is still obviously somewhat steep. Not as steep as I originally thought, though. Operating the unit and building presets seems fairly intuitive after a short while, or really once I stopped thinking in terms of how the previous modeler I had used to do things. I’ve yet to connect the FM3 to my computer because I wanted to get the hang of the unit by itself first, and go from there. I thought about transferring my IRs to the unit, but I think I’m good for the time being with the 2200+ ones on there…

I think going into detail about the sound will be somewhat redundant, as I don’t think there’s a lot of disagreement here that it does sound excellent. I’ve heard many times that nowadays any good modeler can be dialed in to sound just like the others, and while that may be true I can’t place a high enough value on getting where I want to go as quickly as possible. Even if I'm not entirely sure myself where that is at any given time. The FM3 does this, in spades. The deep editing functions are really just gravy, as there are amazing sounds to be had right out of the gate. And yes, in my opinion better sounds than with any of the competitors I’ve personally used. I’m kind of bummed (not really, though) that the unit came with Cygnus on it, as I would have liked to try Ares and then Cygnus to hear the differences, but at the same time I have to applaud G66 for their great service in sending the unit fully updated and ready to go. If someone from G66 reads this, thank you, you guys rock!

All in all I think the FM3 is an amazing unit. A unit I will spend hours upon hours monkeying around with, and more importantly a unit that inspires me to play, and find my sounds in ways others maybe haven’t. The past ~18 months have been a shit show in so many ways, and I only wish I would have gotten this thing a year ago. But better late than never.

Thank you team Fractal, thanks to everyone on the forum who have already answered questions I haven’t had time to think of, let alone ask and a big thank you to all of you who have made amazing videos about the device on YouTube. I've been told it’s always good to end on a strong quote, so here goes.

"Sounds like rock ’n’ roll! This is… What we want."
- Leon Todd​

UPS....don’t call anymore, just show up and after waiting the bare minimum just take off.
Weird. I've been anxiously awaiting the sound of a UPS truck since my teens in the 80's, and they've never called.
unit that inspires me to play, and find my sounds in ways others maybe haven’t.
THIS. For me (Axe Fx III, but still applies), this is the highest praise I can give to the unit. I play for hours just about every day, and just about every sound it has is fantastic! Even tones that aren't my style, I can hear how great they are. If the house was on fire, I'd grab my laptop, AF3, Majesty and money.

I'm with ya man. Good post!

Weird. I've been anxiously awaiting the sound of a UPS truck since my teens in the 80's, and they've never called.

You know what, now you have me doubting myself. I've very rarely dealt with UPS, and if pressed hard enough I could maybe admit that I'm not entirely sure that they've ever contacted me in advance. Could be I'm thinking of DHL. Or some other three letter operator.

All's well that ends well, though, and now back to playing.

Repeating something that's false does not make it any more true ;-)

That might have been me being my usual, sometimes overly diplomatic self writing those words.

In any case when it comes to your post, truer words never spoken. And this is not just me being diplomatic.

THIS. For me (Axe Fx III, but still applies), this is the highest praise I can give to the unit. I play for hours just about every day, and just about every sound it has is fantastic! Even tones that aren't my style, I can hear how great they are. If the house was on fire, I'd grab my laptop, AF3, Majesty and money.

I'm with ya man. Good post!
The UPS guy who dropped my FM3 off, probably knew what he was about to deliver to me. He looked like a metal dude, tattooed arms, and big grin on his face when he handed me the FAS box.

Yeah, they don't call - just rock up and drop stuff on the porch.

The UPS guy who dropped my FM3 off, probably knew what he was about to deliver to me. He looked like a metal dude, tattooed arms, and big grin on his face when he handed me the FAS box.

Yeah, they don't call - just rock up and drop stuff on the porch.
Too true! I just received my FC6 on Wednesday and my UPS guy who I've been chatty with for years said, "I didn't know you were a guitarist." Ha! He knew all about Fractal. Showed me pictures of his Kramer EVH signature. Too funny.

Back
Top Bottom