A question for ML Sound Lab and Ownhammer

Anthony David

Experienced
Longtime fan of both of your IRs here, always excited to see what you guys will do next. My only disappointment though is that there are never any IRs of Neumann U87 microphones. This was the only mic I ever loved in the physical realm, whether Fender, Mesa, etcetera, it always sounded perfect to my ears. I know there are some Holdsworth fans around here that may agree with me on this as well. My only disappointment of the AxeFX is that I could never recreate my real-world tone due to this.

So, my question is this: Have you guys any plans or inclination to use this microphone in future packs? Or would I be better off going back to a physical cab with a U87 for my recordings? Or do they already exists and I just haven't located them yet?

Thank you both for any answers and keep up your amazing work. I never loved the AxeFX until you guys came along.

I have also been curious about this. I don't have any real life experience with the Neumann mics, but wasn't back in black recorded with u87 and u67's ? The guitars on that album turned out pretty good to my ears :| Not sure how much these mics had to do with that but would be cool to have some irs recorded with them to find out.

I have also been curious about this. I don't have any real life experience with the Neumann mics, but wasn't back in black recorded with u87 and u67's ? The guitars on that album turned out pretty good to my ears :| Not sure how much these mics had to do with that but would be cool to have some irs recorded with them to find out.
Cool! I wasn't familiar with anyone using this mic outside of jazz really.

I actively chose the Microtech Gefell UMT70S over the newer Sennheiser U87's, which I borrowed for a quick shootout on guitar cab when I first got my MG. I would likely go with the U87 on vocals, but on guitar cab the U70 won my preference. The MG's are the continuation of the original Neumann company after the name was sold, and their products are highly regarded in the professional recording circuit for very good reason. I've debated looking for a Vintage U87, but so far have been uninspired to do so given my satisfaction with my MG U70 in this application.

This record sounded incredible, used the UM70, and was my inspiration for picking up the mic as I absolutely love the tones, mix, and master on that album. This mic pairing was used for the JS-3 mix in the 412 MES-ST and sounds fantastic as a darker alternative to the typical 57 + 121 pairing, but still retains loads of note clarity even in a dense mix.

I've spent between $75,000-100,000 on gear in the last six years for the OwnHammer project, so where I have landed for the final revision of the libraries currently being released is intentional. The new content (unofficially "V4") is making waves in major label projects with seasoned and decorated high profile engineers, producers, and artists who are actively choosing the OH files over any other market option, even live mic'd boutique studio favorite gear, and hopefully before too long I'll be able to put more energy into promotion to showcase the unmatched quality and flexibility of the libraries. At current I just have a LOT of gears turning behind the curtain that isn't on display to the public that has been keeping me busy. A lot of stuff for a single parent of two to do, even working 18-20 hour days, seven days a week. :)

Hopefully this was helpful, and thanks for the kind words!

The Studio Mix Collection is not, which I just re-released yesterday. This only consisted of re-organizing the file/folder structure and naming conventions, and removing all file formats except .wav. That library is a timeless classic and still used all over the place for every possible application by every possible platform. Right now it's playing an arena tour in the US with a high profile artist friend of mine, talked with him this past week about it. The 212 MAR-66 Multi-Speaker Collection is also not, but close and sounds great. Primarily, these libraries to not use the current stimulus system that V4 utilizes.

All the other libraries are current "tech", though the Marsh-UK will likely be pulled from the front page (but still active) once I part out the contents and rebuild them as individual libraries with the added mics and different mix recipes in V4. The current mic captures in them that carry over to V4 libraries will be copy and paste. This is a move for site uniformity in the long term more than anything else.

Thanks Kevin! I'm trying to find my next IR pack, and want to go with the bleeding edge! :) I have the 212 MAR-66 Multi-speaker collection and really like it.

Very welcome! Glad you're digging the MSC, I actually will be doing more of those after I populate the core V4 content. They are a bear and very time consuming to put together, so for now they're a little further down in the queue. :)

I appreciate the recommendation and never say never. It might happen in future but my goal is to always create quality over quantity.

Most of the comments I get is people having trouble choosing which IR to use because there are "too many good options to choose from". So I wouldn't want to make that even harder if you know what I mean. I get a lot of microphone recommendations from users and obviously I can not fulfill every wish. However this mic you suggested is something I'm also interested in myself.

I actively chose the Microtech Gefell UMT70S over the newer Sennheiser U87's, which I borrowed for a quick shootout on guitar cab when I first got my MG. I would likely go with the U87 on vocals, but on guitar cab the U70 won my preference. The MG's are the continuation of the original Neumann company after the name was sold, and their products are highly regarded in the professional recording circuit for very good reason. I've debated looking for a Vintage U87, but so far have been uninspired to do so given my satisfaction with my MG U70 in this application.

This record sounded incredible, used the UM70, and was my inspiration for picking up the mic as I absolutely love the tones, mix, and master on that album. This mic pairing was used for the JS-3 mix in the 412 MES-ST and sounds fantastic as a darker alternative to the typical 57 + 121 pairing, but still retains loads of note clarity even in a dense mix.

I've spent between $75,000-100,000 on gear in the last six years for the OwnHammer project, so where I have landed for the final revision of the libraries currently being released is intentional. The new content (unofficially "V4") is making waves in major label projects with seasoned and decorated high profile engineers, producers, and artists who are actively choosing the OH files over any other market option, even live mic'd boutique studio favorite gear, and hopefully before too long I'll be able to put more energy into promotion to showcase the unmatched quality and flexibility of the libraries. At current I just have a LOT of gears turning behind the curtain that isn't on display to the public that has been keeping me busy. A lot of stuff for a single parent of two to do, even working 18-20 hour days, seven days a week. :)

Hopefully this was helpful, and thanks for the kind words!

No need to thank me, it was sincere. I was one of those anti-digital people until I tried yours and MIkko's IRs. They truly were a game changer. As for the pack you linked, I will be buying it as soon as I have 15 dollars to spare. Lame, but that is a lot of money for me. I trust your recommendation that it is preferable to my U87, dying to try it now. Especially since I'm a Mesa guy. Well Port City too, but Mesa can't be beat! I will keep an eye out for more of your packs using this mic for sure.

I was never into Blink, but the tones on that album are superb! The composition, it's quite superior to their earlier stuff, much more mature.

20 hour days, plus parenting, plus OH stuff. Wow! I worked a supervisory position for AT&T, 15 hour days, five a week. It was exhausting. You have much respect from me Kevin! Again, keep up the good work. You have a customer for life in me.

I appreciate the recommendation and never say never. It might happen in future but my goal is to always create quality over quantity.

Most of the comments I get is people having trouble choosing which IR to use because there are "too many good options to choose from". So I wouldn't want to make that even harder if you know what I mean. I get a lot of microphone recommendations from users and obviously I can not fulfill every wish. However this mic you suggested is something I'm also interested in myself.

Read my above post to Kevin, first three sentences apply to you both.

I get the overwhelming aspect of it for sure, I was one of them until I bought Cab Lab. Suddenly it made sense, having so many options. Plus, that is why we have the 'Aces' folders.

I'm glad you have in interest in the U87 too, amazing tool for recording. One of the few things I bought and didn't immediately sell in the music world. I look forward to seeing what you guys do next, regardless of what it is.

Keep up the good work, Mikko, you have much respect from me!

Back
Top Bottom