A question for IR-capturers...

Wolfenstein98k

Power User
I haven't got the space or equipment to do IR captures myself, but I've been thinking lately... since phase cancellation with a single mic occurs due to floor reflections (and the like), couldn't you set up a cab in a large room, lift it off the floor (say, at the edge of a table or chair or etc), and mic the result?

How much guts would you lose from the lack of reflections and "reinforcement" of the floor? Would you finally eliminate all phase cancellation?

I'm sure this has been done before, so I'd love to know what the results were.

G'day Wolfy,

You wouldn't lose all phase cancellation, however some. It's a hot topic now with the 19.01 update around cancellations caused by reflections from the box, speaker etc. By the way - If you have a microphone, you have the equipment :)

Pauly

Thanks Pauly. Hi from a fellow Victorian!

The Dephase discussing is what inspired the question actually. I wondered what means exist to avoid phase cancellation in the first place.

G'ay Wolfy,

For some reason I thought you were from Transylvania hahah

Gettin rid of phasing completely would be an almost impossible and basically thankless task. As a matter of fact (hang on while I put my helmet and shoulder pads on) I'd be tipping that in many cases the phasing contributes to the sound we actually want - Remember it's prersent on all of the music we love in one form or other as they used microphones eh!

Anyway - have fun!

Pauly

Thanks Pauly. Hi from a fellow Victorian!

The Dephase discussing is what inspired the question actually. I wondered what means exist to avoid phase cancellation in the first place.

Haha, good point! Thanks again Pauly.

As I saw today, Cliff is working on putting the parameter into CabLab so that you can Dephase your IR before you export it, effectively "baking in" the Dephase, thereby saving CPU and Preset switch time by not having to run it on the fly.

Back
Top Bottom