A nice list of riffs

I still think there's a difference between being 'inspired' by something, (cough, basically EVERY Quintin Tarantino movie, cough) and blatantly ripping something off (cough, Greta van Fleet, cough). Besides many an artist, looking at you, hiphop, made a big killing by stealing, uh, sampling famous riffs and licks. And I'm not even touching all those cases, I'm sure every song writer here has experienced it as well, that you wrote a sick tune, only to discover that oh, shit, I accidentally used an existing riff. Stuff tends to percolate in our subconscious and comes out at ill-opportune or poorly timed moments.

In the end though, ALWAYS own up if you 'borrow, are 'inspired by' or just plain clone something. People will respect you more for it.

I still think there's a difference between being 'inspired' by something, (cough, basically EVERY Quintin Tarantino movie, cough) and blatantly ripping something off (cough, Greta van Fleet, cough). Besides many an artist, looking at you, hiphop, made a big killing by stealing, uh, sampling famous riffs and licks. And I'm not even touching all those cases, I'm sure every song writer here has experienced it as well, that you wrote a sick tune, only to discover that oh, shit, I accidentally used an existing riff. Stuff tends to percolate in our subconscious and comes out at ill-opportune or poorly timed moments.

In the end though, ALWAYS own up if you 'borrow, are 'inspired by' or just plain clone something. People will respect you more for it.
I can't argue with you on the Greta van Fleet comment....I mean, they are an insanely blatant rip off.

We've all certainly had our share of - "oh, I have a new riff"...only to realize you had an old song/riff stuck in your subconscious that came out.
But that Killing Joke rip off....I mean, the tone and effects are even the same??

I can't argue with you on the Greta van Fleet comment....I mean, they are an insanely blatant rip off.

We've all certainly had our share of - "oh, I have a new riff"...only to realize you had an old song/riff stuck in your subconscious that came out.
But that Killing Joke rip off....I mean, the tone and effects are even the same??

Their newest album is less a blatant rip off and not selling nearly as well. Go figure! :)

Back
Top Bottom