A new pedal modeled after Abasi Axe-modeled sounds?

If guess if you can say a pedal costing, what, $199???, sounds like a processor costing $2000, you make the pedal seem like quite a great value by some stretch of the imagination lol

Nowhere in this article that I read a single word about this pedal being based on or trying to emulate an Axe-FX. It only states that he uses one.

Reactions: yek
Wampler makes a lot of overdrive pedals that have two switchable types of semiconductors and some EQ. Brad Paisley, Tom Quayle and Brent Mason have "signature models." Now Tosin Abassi does also.

Before I got my Axe-Fx I used to use the Quayle model and liked it a lot. I've had an AX-8, and Axe-Fx II and now a III. I get better, more responsive lead tones out of all of them than out of any pedal I've tried.

It’s not specifically stating that, but I think it kind of implies that, even though a more informed reader knows the fallacy of that assumption.

The article states that the key to his tone is the “complex” Axe-Fx II, then talks about how the pedal is designed to get his tone. That does not say the pedal sounds like an Axe II, but it does imply a bit of association.

If you have a certain guitarist whose tone is known to come from a certain amp brand, and then you say you have a pedal that is supposed to get their tone, it kind of implies it’s based around the amp, even though they aren’t at all claiming it’s a _______ in the box pedal. Company doesn’t have to use the word “hiwatt” or whatever, but people will assume that is what it sounds like.

Again, silly to assume a pedal can emulate a modeler which is itself essentially an emulation, but, I think people know the Axe-Fx is a high quality, expensive product used by lots of well known artist.

Suggesting you can get a tone, similar to what one gets from the expensive Axe, from the significantly less expensive pedal, in essence makes the pedal seem to punch above it’s weight, without saying as such.

It’s basic association marketing, mention your product along side known heavyweights, have attractive women in your ad, etc. Increases the consumer perception in most cases.

I don't see anything about the pedal being based on an Axe-Fx. I think it's most likely just another Tube Screamer/Bluesbreaker/Rat clone.

Having built a lot of Wampler pedals I can say that Brian is not your average Tube Screamer/Bluesbreaker/Rat clone boutweeker. He has a few clones, but his most epic pedals tend to be far more original, and he favors using matched FET transistors far more then op amp based YATS clones. This is what makes them so very hard to clone for DIY builders, if only its become next to impossible these days to find enough real J201 transistors to find matching sets. Damn you Chinese fakers! Damn you to hell! I really dig the Pinnacle and the Velvet Fuzz. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pathos is a differently voiced Dracarys distortion, Wampler's Ola Englund pedal. It has pretty much the same layout.

He had switched a while back to using a Friedman BE-OD pedal into a clean Morgan amp for his distortion tones, I just figured this Pathos pedal is kind of a modded BE-OD.

Ola Englund did a demo of it a while back, sounds kinda similar i guess. The BE-OD is a cool pedal.

The article states that the key to his tone is the “complex” Axe-Fx II, then talks about how the pedal is designed to get his tone. That does not say the pedal sounds like an Axe II, but it does imply a bit of association.

To me there is an implication that "original" drive/amp tones can be created on a Fractal and that they might be emulated by a boutique pedal. I found the notion interesting, but mostly pointed it out for the sheer absurdity of the idea of an analog clone of a digital clone.

Back
Top Bottom