A new era begins: Building a patch panel. Ordering list for parts included!

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
[Update] A new era begins: Building a patch panel. Ordering list for parts included!

Hello there!
For a hell of a long time, I have wanted a custom patch panel for my axe rig. And I also thought that while I was at it, I should order a furman power conditioner... But I didn't have them cash until now!
So now I have pulled the trigger and bought aaall the different parts from thomann.de.
My panel will look as following:

PowerCon - EtherCon - USB - Out2L(jack) - Out2R(jack) - Out1L(xlr) - Out1R(xlr) - Guitar

So I basically have everything I need here. The PowerCon goes up to my forman which then deals out the power to my and my wireless.
The guitar jack input (on the right) is wired to my wireless line 6 system, which means that I just plug a patch cable between the Guitar jack and the INSTR in on my axe fx.

I really really want to thank forum member "Pdup" for helping me out with the list here. He's a great guy!

So.. Here's the list is:

2 stk 108378 Neutrik NP3 RX-B

3 stk 122169 Neutrik NJ3 FP-6-C-BAG

2 stk 182695 Neutrik NC3 FXX-B

1 stk 124879 Neutrik NAC3 MPA-1 Powercon

1 stk 124880 Neutrik NAC3 FCA Powercon

2 stk 126644 Neutrik NC3 MD-L1 BAG

1 stk 183250 Neutrik NE8 FDP-B

1 stk 185260 Neutrik NAUSB-W-B

8 stk 212960 Neutrik MFD

2 stk 116991 Neutrik SCDR

1 stk 153746 Thon Rack Panel 1U 8XLR

1 stk 208906 Furman M-10Lx E Power conditioner

2 stk 162867 Apart MBAC

1 stk 181890 Cordial CFI 0,15 RR

I really look forward noodling with this .. and of course completing my rig :) Any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated!

Update
So! Last evening Pdup and I sat together around the table and started assembling and soldering. Here are some pictures:
IMG_2728.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg
IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2733.jpg
IMG_2735.jpg

All the connectors are mounted to the neutrik MFD's. The output cables are line-cable from Sommer. The ethercon are connected with completely standard cat-5 ethernet cable and the usb with a standard printer-cable. You can flip/reverse the neutrik usb connector, so you have the desired plug for your computer :)

We're not not done yet as we needed another type of cable for the angled neutrik jacks. BUT this patch panel really isn't that complex of a thing to do :) I hope this will make you guys wanna try it out yourself! :)
More to come!
thumb_IMG_2743_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2744_1024.jpg
Tried it out today at rehearsal and it simply kicks arse! So easy to set up now. I'm able to have everything ready in a couple of minutes. So happy with this new routing it's crazy :D

Last edited:
He seems to think there is no such thing as "completing your rig." Admittedly an accurate observation for most of us... Mine has been "complete" for some time now, which coincided with me running out of $$. Now that I have $$ again, the danger is real.

Looking forward to your progress. I ordered a Vafam panel and am well pleased. But I thought seriously about building my own. I suspect your posts will show it ain't as easy as it looks.

Wildwind I can only agree to what you're saying. Haha .. But this is what I 'always imagined'. I also just bought a MFC-101 which also is a part of the ultimate rig picture of mine.

Regarding the assembling of the patch panel, I have teamed up with Pdup who is a serious player in the hi-fi game! [emoji4]

I will definitely post pictures ! I'm waiting for the package, this thread will probably be silent for a week or two [emoji4]

He seems to think there is no such thing as "completing your rig." Admittedly an accurate observation for most of us... Mine has been "complete" for some time now, which coincided with me running out of $$. Now that I have $$ again, the danger is real.

Looking forward to your progress. I ordered a Vafam panel and am well pleased. But I thought seriously about building my own. I suspect your posts will show it ain't as easy as it looks.

True! I was being humourous! :) My rig has been completed for a wee while now only in so far as I haven't seen a guitar which has caught my eye. ;) Mind you, 20+ guitars in my wife is glad that my roving eye is only musical. :)

On the amp front, it's been done and dusted ever since I got my FX2. Not even the FX2 XL has swayed me. :) There's still room for improvement on the cabling side, but on the whole, I'm a happy camper. :)

I was wondering why he just didn't do this? Unless of course he just wanted to build it himself which is fine. I was going to do that but after looking at the time involved and the money it costs to have it done for me I opted to have it built.

That's a nice solution too Rane!!!
As to why I builded it Peter and I build is actually because it's much cheaper to do it yourself here in Denmark vs. importing the vafam panel from USA. And then there is the fact that we've used cables of higher quality. AND IT'S FUN!

Kjaris. It costs around 100 dollars in parts (around 600 danish kroners). That's without the internal Sommer cable

I ordered a Vafam panel and am well pleased. But I thought seriously about building my own. I suspect your posts will show it ain't as easy as it looks.
Same here.. I think $125 delivered and no soldering or hassle.

Great project!!!
Proud of you OP, and what a great experience to share with forum brother pdup. Excellent.

To Rane: I love the idea of converting the power conditioner into the patch panel. Awesome!!

Back
Top Bottom