A Marshall sim that stays clean

FusionFanatic

Inspired
I really like a lot of the Marshall amps with the ‘right’ IR. So much, that I made a dozen different presets with them. Some clean up rather well... nice ‘glassy’ highs, especially the JTM, and some plexi models.
Wish the JVM offered the clean channel, and/or there was the Marshall Tremelo amp.
I know there’s loads of clean amps, but I also really like a great clean Marshall tone where you can leave the volume of the guitar maxed.

Most Marshall type circuits get thinner as the 'Drive' is decreased because of the circuit design. Lowering the 'Input Trim' acts differently, as it does not react with the 'virtual' circuit. It just lowers the level of the guitar entering the Amp without any coloring of the tone. This allows you to get the gain levels desired, and still have the 'Drive' parameter at a higher level to keep the tone thicker. This technique is handy on many other models too. BTW.. You can use it to add gain too.

This can also be done with a Filter block placed in front of the Amp. Use different channels for different levels of gain, and some pre-EQ tweaks if desired. And it is seamless!

The thinner tone at low gain settings is due to the bright cap across the gain control. You can lower the bright cap value or turn it off to eliminate the additional treble bleed at lower settings. Like Moke said, input trim is before the circuit, so it doesn't have the same treble bleed.

Thanks for the input guys. Knowing there’s a number of clean amps to choose from, I still wanted to try using a Marshall for one.

I tried lowering the trim to 0.500 (as suggested, and gain on 3 with the JTM45 model and bright cap on, lowering the bass (I don’t like low end flub) and trimming the treble, and choosing a good IR. Seems to work best, still with a light edge of breakup using a Les Paul, and it has a fairly robust tone.

I have an old JCM800 with a low and high input. Iloved the sound of the low input. I found the same thing as other said here. Turning down the input trim to .5 emualted the low input nicely.

I use the input trim on some of the Class A type amps to reign them in a bit as well.

Thanks for the input guys. Knowing there’s a number of clean amps to choose from, I still wanted to try using a Marshall for one.

I tried lowering the trim to 0.500 (as suggested, and gain on 3 with the JTM45 model and bright cap on, lowering the bass (I don’t like low end flub) and trimming the treble, and choosing a good IR. Seems to work best, still with a light edge of breakup using a Les Paul, and it has a fairly robust tone.

Lower the gain to 1.

Back
Top Bottom