A little scared..

louyseiz

Inspired
Hi all,
A band I auditioned for some time ago called me for a gig that is only in 2 days... Songs are fairly easy, but I'd like to make the most of my AX8, it will be my first time on stage with it.
I have presets I use at home with headphones. I've plugged it in a PA in a rehearsal room before, and I remember what I heard was fairly different from what I get at home.

Therefore, I'd like to setup a real simple patch that I can use really quickly. Basically one patch with 2-3 scenes. Songs we play are classic rock (Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz..) so nothing over-distorted, mostly amp (slight crunch to good distorsion) + cab + drive and boost for solos. Maybe a reverb/delay for the clean parts.

Does anyone have such a setup to share? And/or any tips I should follow to plug my AX8 on the D day?

Cheers guys

Expect to have to trim bass and treble content if you've been dialing it in quietly at home. There's a natural tendency to over emphasize the high and low content at low volume.

Cab block cuts are a good quick fix if you are at sound check and it's sounding bad. That and I'd have a few IR's picked out ranging in brightness. You can run through them pretty quick as you're setting up.

Which amp model, and drive effect, would you recommend for these 70/80s songs?

That's tricky as it all depends on your playing style and type of guitar used. If I were you, I would go through the med - high gain amps (maybe the Marshalls or Friedmans) and see which one cleans up better for you when rolling back your guitar volume. That would make it more versatile for you when playing live, you'd be able to dial in the right about of drive with your finger.

True, I found that it's better to leave the volume on my guitar (Gibson Les Paul, so humbuckers) at around 5-6 and boost it to 9-10 when needed.

Gotcha for the bass and treble trim, go mediums!

Hi all,
A band I auditioned for some time ago called me for a gig that is only in 2 days... Songs are fairly easy, but I'd like to make the most of my AX8, it will be my first time on stage with it.
I have presets I use at home with headphones. I've plugged it in a PA in a rehearsal room before, and I remember what I heard was fairly different from what I get at home.

Therefore, I'd like to setup a real simple patch that I can use really quickly. Basically one patch with 2-3 scenes. Songs we play are classic rock (Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz..) so nothing over-distorted, mostly amp (slight crunch to good distorsion) + cab + drive and boost for solos. Maybe a reverb/delay for the clean parts.

Does anyone have such a setup to share? And/or any tips I should follow to plug my AX8 on the D day?

Cheers guys

I think Skyhighrocks gave us a little present a few days ago, and I also think that's a perfect match with your need :)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-live-direct-5153-preset.119068/

Dang that is stressful for a first gig. I would grab the Yek presets that were converted to AX8 and have a few of those ready to go...and TRY to have fun and play the songs and not get too caught up in the tones and how you sound - you are playing for others, after all.

Personally, when I was doing covers, I loved LOVED the dirty shirley for clean to dirt stuff.

Back
Top Bottom