AFIII A little live video (covers band)

simeon

Axe-Master
so i don't push my covers band at all on here, there are plenty of you guys out there doing covers much better than we do, but we recently threw some cameras up at a recent function at the old coal exchange in cardiff, so i thought i'd share a vid of a bunch of baldy buffoons getting paid to lark about.

some of the cameras failed, so i was short of angles to edit together, but i'm pretty happy with the audio, which was recorded off the desk into my laptop running the presonus capture software. that all got transferred into logic, where i mixed and mastered it.

it'll stream at 720p, but it's actually 1080p, if you can be bothered to download it.

i also have jump and everybody wants to rule the world, but this is the most fun, i think...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63po5317o0jvhpu/Mr Blue Sky.m4v?dl=0

That is great fun, and not the easiest tune to cover! Loved it when the choir keyboard patch finally kicked in.
Ive been lucky enough to see Lynne’s ELO twice in recent years, hard to believe anyone sounds better in a big venue.

That sounded awesome! Also love the choir, it was pretty convincing when I first heard it as I was looking to see where the backing singers were.

What was the amp you used for most of the rhythm? Such a nice sound! It was almost Brian May but with more grunt. I'm guessing it was a cleaner amp with a drive pedal?

That sounded awesome! Also love the choir, it was pretty convincing when I first heard it as I was looking to see where the backing singers were.

What was the amp you used for most of the rhythm? Such a nice sound! It was almost Brian May but with more grunt. I'm guessing it was a cleaner amp with a drive pedal?

thanks. we've spent a lot of time working on the keyboard sounds. i created a special set in ableton live, which allows the keyboard player to use sampled instruments and softsynths and switch seamlessly between patches.

the guitar sound is just a 50w plexi set to medium gain and i have the volume on the guitar rolled back a touch. the lead is the same amp with a drive in front, neck pickup on full and tone rolled off for that "woman tone"

That is great fun, and not the easiest tune to cover! Loved it when the choir keyboard patch finally kicked in.
Ive been lucky enough to see Lynne’s ELO twice in recent years, hard to believe anyone sounds better in a big venue.

thanks, bradders!

Sounds great simeon! everyone's timing is perfect. how long have you guys played together?

thanks. the band has been going for nearly 30 years with various personnel. the current lineup has been together about 8 years with a recent change in drummer at the beginning of the year and he's just about settled in now. i've been in it about 11 years. we do about 70 gigs a year, so we're pretty tight.

Loved that. Jeff Lynne is a genius, and it still amazes me that he’s not better known outside of musician circles. You have a great woman tone going on there! Really nice. Great job, Simeon 😀

thanks, bradders!
Actually I just went through this and EWTRTW again :Dat full resolution on my studio system....WOW!
brilliant playing/ mix/master. would LUV to hear a full set/show sometime...live or online..(I will likely be visiting across the water in the next year..)

Actually I just went through this and EWTRTW again :Dat full resolution on my studio system....WOW!
brilliant playing/ mix/master. would LUV to hear a full set/show sometime...live or online..(I will likely be visiting across the water in the next year..)

cool, let me know when you're around. you can help hump the gear. :)

That was fantastic! I smiled the entire time watching it.

Like M@ said, that is a very cool looking venue. You guys sounded incredible, were obviously having fun and loving what you do and it shows in the video and I'm certain the crowd picked up on it.

The camera angles and stellar audio really brought me into the venue with you. Very well done!

That drummer is a keeper. Very good and very engaged with the band and audience. It's so disappointing seeing a band with members just playing to get through the gig. You guys were not doing that at all. Very refreshing.

Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom