A little hack for the Amp Encoders!

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
One of the first things i did when i got my AX8 was to look for weak points that could potentially be damaged at a gig and the biggest one, for me, was how the 8 dedicated amp encoders feel, they're not rock solid stable, they are not physically attached to the face plate, they are directly mount to a circuit board.

Now i'm not saying this is a fault but i have had fender amps that didnt have a solid attachment to the faceplate that failed eventually at the solder point in the CB or that were completely destroyed by an impact.

My solution to this was simple, find 8 nuts that fit and screw them firmly making a solid connection to the faceplate.

Now they feel rock solid without any rocking movement whatsoever.

Don't know if this voids the warranty but it sure takes a weak point out of the unit.

Cheers.

29177867713_1974f2a2bc_b.jpg

that. makes. sense. at least to me! the knob still fits back over that?

the only issue i'd see is that a kick on the knob originally would bend that shaft only. but with the nut now attached, a kick on the knob might bend the entire board under the knob. in either situation we wouldn't want damage to anything, but i'm just wondering which is worse D:

that. makes. sense. at least to me! the knob still fits back over that?

the only issue i'd see is that a kick on the knob originally would bend that shaft only. but with the nut now attached, a kick on the knob might bend the entire board under the knob. in either situation we wouldn't want damage to anything, but i'm just wondering which is worse D:

Good points and im working on an idea for that also! ;)

By putting nuts on it, are you now pulling the potentiometers up from the PCB?
That's my only issue with this. When you tighten the nut, you're stressing the PC board. Any bump to the knob will be transmitted to a circuit board that's now flexed and under tension. It might feel more solid to your fingers because it doesn't move around as easily, but it's pulling on internal parts that weren't meant to be pulled on.

Reviving a dead thread here but what dimensions of the hex nuts did you use?

my amp encoders are wobbly so hopefully keeping it in one place will keep it from registering random values

Back
Top Bottom