A little frustrated

Someone had this issue also, are you logged into your account with saved settings "remember me" J?

EDIT: Nice tone for "Your Love Never Fails" ;) love the F#m tunes.
haha!! i was just testing the Shiva into the Ownhammer Shiva cab for a friend in our little Worship guitarists who use Fractal FB group. pretty stellar combo. also did one of the clean channel with OD's.

to the OP, that's just amp and cab, controls at pretty much noon....no tweaking or editing at all. it really should be that easy.

Yeah, I would just make a simple amp and cab patch. Pick the amp you think you want, and then spend time looking through the cabs in the cab block to get the response you want. Set the mic to null and mess with proximity till the bottom is doing what you want, if it's sounding way too woofy before you set the mic, go into the amp block and engage the cut. I almost always do this when I'm hunting for huge tones. Then I'd go back to the amp block and get what you need out of it. Head to the speaker tab and adjust the high freq and low freq till you're happy. Don't be surprised if you're cutting lows off at 120 or higher, and chopping off the highs at 6k-8k. The bass can take care of the low stuff, and the cymbals will utterly manhandle most of your high end, so you're only cutting stuff that gets messy in a mix.

Don't do this alone at bedroom volume tho, you'll want to have a session just for dialing in your preset(s) at loud volume in the mix.

Playing the factory presets is like plugging into someone else's rig. You might like it, you might not. Gotta tweak to make it your own.
You take risks gigging with a piece of equipment you haven't worked with, I would get as much time with the axefx as possible before gigging with it. Great piece of equipment but there is a learning curve - the folks here absolutely can help you.

Man! Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate the help. I will do some tweaking tonight, this definitely helps. BTW the few presets that I have messed with (LF resonance, character) do sound fantastic, (The Brown Sound) is my new favorite and all I did was lower the bass and raise the character to around 4000, I read that in tech notes (My secret formula) I just didn't think I was going to have to tweak so much, It's not a big deal, it's just that I read a lot that said the factory presets are killer, which I think the are, and (I haven't had to tweak much of anything) posts. I'm finding out from you guys that that is not necessarily true and that most of you do have to tweak a little here and there ( The learning curve). Again, thanks for the help it is MUCH appreciated.

Which firmware are you on
For my personal taste Quantum 2.01 is much quieter and the bass response is better then 2.02
It cleans up better whem you adjust

Two things, and a general point on Factory Presets.
General: A lot of the cleaner presets are built with single coils. Wind down the Input Drive a bit.

1) If the bass has never been a problem in gear BEFORE the Axe, with the identical guitar, then it probably affects all your guitars. If this is the case dial down bass with Global EQ and you're done. BEFORE DOING THIS however, I'd go through and factory reset the Axe, re-download and install the Factory Presets and firmware, the lot. Just in case.

2) if the bass is a problem with one guitar, lower your pups (towards body of guitar), and wind up (away from body) the relevant polepieces to compensate for the loss of output.

Two things, and a general point on Factory Presets.
General: A lot of the cleaner presets are built with single coils. Wind down the Input Drive a bit.

1) If the bass has never been a problem in gear BEFORE the Axe, with the identical guitar, then it probably affects all your guitars. If this is the case dial down bass with Global EQ and you're done. BEFORE DOING THIS however, I'd go through and factory reset the Axe, re-download and install the Factory Presets and firmware, the lot. Just in case.

2) if the bass is a problem with one guitar, lower your pups (towards body of guitar), and wind up (away from body) the relevant polepieces to compensate for the loss of output.

Thank you for that! I'm going to adjust EQ to get through the weekend then do the reset and then start fine tuning.

Thanks everybody for your replies it is very much appreciated.

Which firmware are you on
For my personal taste Quantum 2.01 is much quieter and the bass response is better then 2.02
It cleans up better whem you adjust

The latest so I can choose which firmware, I'll go back and forth and see if that does anything, thanks.

Thank you, I'll try and give a little more info, the guitar is a 2011 Gibson Trad Pro with the Pro Buckers, I'm running a Matrix GT1000FX and a Xitone passive 1x12, the 2 presets I'm having trouble with at the moment are the CAE3+ and the Corncob but every amp seems to be real bassy.

I don't know much about Xitones stuff, so I'm not sure if it's FRFR or not, but I think you'd need to turn cab modeling off of its just a regular guitar cabinet. Maybe that would add a surplus of low end. I hope you get it all straightened out soon!!

What kind of tones are you going for? Maybe you are picking the wrong amp model for what you are trying to achieve?
Take your time man, frustration will only make is worse. If you are feeling like it is too gassy, try switching to an IR that maybe only has a single 57 in it. You may be using an IR that has a bass heavy mic in it.

Hey Joe! Fancy seeing you here. :)

I seem to recall you got your Xitone almost exactly the same time as I got my Fearful. I think what might be going on is the same as I had - there was a lot of bass that wasn't getting handled by my conventional cab, and then when I plugged into my F115 FRFR it was very much an accurate representation of what the previous rig was trying to produce. The FRFR doesn't mess about with just trying, and if an Oxford 10" puts out 7 watts at 50Hz, when you ask a good FRFR to put out 70W at 50Hz, it does just that. And it's real loud and bassy.

Since getting my FRFR, the low frequency cut in the Cab IR block has been my friend. If I get that in the right place what I hear in the room is pretty close to what I hear in headphones. I haven't given up on conventional cabs entirely, but I find it easiest to get the FRFR sounds I want, and then worry about what a real cab might make of them afterwards.

Liam

Remember to adjust the input trim. It's the first thing you ought to do when first using an axe.

Play the hardest you can while adjusting the input trim, until input clipping led meter is just tickling the red light.

Refer to the manual on how to do it properly.

I say this cos if all of ur patches are clipping, it might be either input clipping, or your guitar's just too loud.

Thank you, I'll try and give a little more info, the guitar is a 2011 Gibson Trad Pro with the Pro Buckers, I'm running a Matrix GT1000FX and a Xitone passive 1x12, the 2 presets I'm having trouble with at the moment are the CAE3+ and the Corncob but every amp seems to be real bassy.

I've got the same amp as well as a pair of Mick's awesome 1x12 passive Xitones. As others have suggested, adding low-cut on my own presets took care of any bassiness (is that a word?) that I was perceiving.

A little update:

I took the Axe to my church gig and all went real well. I only used the CAE3+ preset and added a OD box for dirt, oh and added a 2x12 cab, and it sounded really good through the FOH and even got a couple compliments. (I can't remember what box or cab I used off hand, it's been a long weekend and they've got me back at work already, I'll add that tomorrow, I'm getting a little punchy :confused:) I just want to thank everybody for the wealth of information you've given me, thank you!
I have so much to go over this week, I can't wait to really dig in......... Slowly :)

Liam, Mike, it's good seeing you over here it's a great place. Yeah LF cut has been my friend. Mike thanks for the IR's suggestion i'll be checking those out as well this week :)

BIG THANKS

Yes good point. I feel that since Q2 the Axe is more bass heavy and not bright enough on almost all amp models. Not sure why that is. Even when I use single coils. I used the global EQ to tame the bass a bit but even then I have to dial it back in the amps. I don't use the factory presets and always reset the amps. Also did a re-install.

Yes good point. I feel that since Q2 the Axe is more bass heavy and not bright enough on almost all amp models. Not sure why that is. Even when I use single coils. I used the global EQ to tame the bass a bit but even then I have to dial it back in the amps. I don't use the factory presets and always reset the amps. Also did a re-install.
Try altering the "Modelling Version" parameter. That will tell you if it's in the modelling or not without having to reinstall. Mind you that only goes back as far as Q 2.0 if I remember correctly.

If you're really up for it, install the last Q 1 increment and see how you go.

At any rate, I would just dial down the bass in the TMB controls and compensate before the power amp (GEQ in the amp). Add some Presence and voila - there's your sparkle back

Yes probably can get it back but it seems like a workaround. Not sure why they changed it to a overall more bass heavy sound. For me it's not an improvement. But I don't want to go back in FW.

Back
Top Bottom