A little confused about the USB port...?

spikey

Experienced
Ok, I want (which does not hold any water im sure) the USB port to work with AxeFX Edit, updates in firmware, IR cab programs, etc etc... But I already have and use an audio interface (MOTU 828 mk3) that is hooked to my DAW (iMac) using Logic X, Cubase etc etc... Im reading the manual and it talks about using the Axe FXII as an audio interface. It also talks about turning the USB on under inputs versus the front "instrument" in jack. So, here is how I have my setup "minus" the Axe FX II (its coming later this week). Guitar>preamp>16 channel Mackie mixer input channel>Mixer out stereo into my MOTU audio interface (and other outputs to my powered monitors)> and then fire wired into the iMac for the VST and audio into the hosts...

Can I just use the USB interface on the AxeFX II for audio and upgrades/Axe Edit/ between the Axe FX II and computer? The diagram in the manual shows only a USB connection between the Axe FX II and the computer, with an "unknown" wire from the computer to the audio interface, which then powers a pair of monitors...

So confused... Anyone???

Thanks...

You don't need to use the audio features of the USB. You can just use it for updates, Axe-Edit, etc.

Thanks for that... But I don't exactly know yet how to set it up "for just updates", Axe Edit, etc... Im sure it simple.... Just kinda in overloaded mode atm lol... Maybe I just use the L/R audio outs and the Instrument in, and install the USB drivers perhaps? It that all maybe?

Thanks for that... But I don't exactly know yet how to set it up "for just updates", Axe Edit, etc... Im sure it simple.... Just kinda in overloaded mode atm lol... Maybe I just use the L/R audio outs and the Instrument in, and install the USB drivers perhaps? It that all maybe?

Only hook it up when you need it- when you want to update it... screw with presets...use axe edit..etc...

Never leave it plugged into usb when you don't need to

It makes the screen crap out here and there- can lag/cause problems

Never leave it plugged into usb when you don't need to

It makes the screen crap out here and there- can lag/cause problems
Never had this happen - that I know of - on either my Ultra or Ax2!
XP32/64 and/or Win7 x64and/or Win8x64 connected with MANY different AE versions and firmware builds.

Thanks for that... But I don't exactly know yet how to set it up "for just updates", Axe Edit, etc...
If you just want to use the Axe's USB connection for updates and Axe-Edit...then just use it for updates and Axe-Edit. There's nothing to configure. Just don't use the audio interface features.

It's kind of like asking, "How do I set up my car to only drive downtown, and not in the suburbs?" The answer is: "Don't drive in the suburbs." :)

I haven't had the screen tweak out as much as others have complained about but today- the screen tweaks out when usb is plugged in while using the tuner.... its common and always have had little tweaks when usb is plugged in- its normal/not a big deal- but I find it best to unplug when not needed

If you just want to use the Axe's USB connection for updates and Axe-Edit...then just use it for updates and Axe-Edit. There's nothing to configure. Just don't use the audio interface features.

It's kind of like asking, "How do I set up my car to only drive downtown, and not in the suburbs?" The answer is: "Don't drive in the suburbs." :)

LOL Ill try to stay out of the burbs...

Reactions: Rex
I'm still on 11.0, but what I noticed when trying out axe edit was that it wants to take over as the primary driver/device. Sound from the internet, music player, etc... will not play as long as I have the AFX plugged in via usb. As soon as I unplug it, everything goes back to normal and I can multitask like normal. (I'm using a focusrite Sapphire as my primary interface.)

This is a big hindrance for me, as I'd like to be able to edit patches and use Axe Edit while in my DAW, or while playing along with music played back via my computer. Is there a way to set it so it behaves this way?

Upon plugging in your Axe Fx to your computer via usb, you should be able to consult your computer's preferences to choose what is the source of audio input and output. If another interface is chosen as the audio source, the Axe Fx will be able to run all other usb-related functions without controlling any of your computer's audio.

I'm still on 11.0, but what I noticed when trying out axe edit was that it wants to take over as the primary driver/device. Sound from the internet, music player, etc... will not play as long as I have the AFX plugged in via usb. As soon as I unplug it, everything goes back to normal and I can multitask like normal. (I'm using a focusrite Sapphire as my primary interface.)

This is a big hindrance for me, as I'd like to be able to edit patches and use Axe Edit while in my DAW, or while playing along with music played back via my computer. Is there a way to set it so it behaves this way?

You can change the default playback device in Windows' sound settings back to your preferred device. Alternatively you can also disable Axe-Fx as an audio device (in Win7 just right click the playback device and select disable) so it never gets selected. That was what I had to do because Windows would force Axe-Fx as the playback device every time it was turned on despite changing the settings when it was running. OSX is once again more sensible in this and remembers what setting you picked.

For me, I have my AFX currently set up in the studio and using it as my USB interface with absolutely no issues. Through my USB connection I can update all my FW, use with AE3 and download presets to my desktop for backup.

I run out of the Axe to my powered monitors for audio and monitoring my sounds. Being connected in this manner, if I play music on my computer through iTunes or if I choose to watch a movie, etc. The audio will be routed through to my monitors since my Mac sees the AFX as the interface and I have it selected for that in my settings, but as soon as I turn the Axe off, the sound is then rerouted to the computer speakers.

There are many ways to route audio using this unit, but I've used it as an interface from day one, cleaning up my workspace, achieving great sound and not having any issues at all.

Best of luck in finding your optimal setup once yours arrives!

Upon plugging in your Axe Fx to your computer via usb, you should be able to consult your computer's preferences to choose what is the source of audio input and output. If another interface is chosen as the audio source, the Axe Fx will be able to run all other usb-related functions without controlling any of your computer's audio.

You can change the default playback device in Windows' sound settings back to your preferred device. Alternatively you can also disable Axe-Fx as an audio device (in Win7 just right click the playback device and select disable) so it never gets selected. That was what I had to do because Windows would force Axe-Fx as the playback device every time it was turned on despite changing the settings when it was running. OSX is once again more sensible in this and remembers what setting you picked.

Thanks guys, I'll try this out at the studio when I head up there tonight, and let you know how it goes.

I use the USB and the downside is it drives the CPU usage to around 89% all the time. I don't get it.

I use the USB and the downside is it drives the CPU usage to around 89% all the time. I don't get it.
If USB drives your usage to 89%, then your preset already has 80% or more CPU usage without USB.

Back
Top Bottom