A little bit of prog in the vein of Dream Theater

Re: A little bit of prog in the vein of DT - unfinished

Wow! Great chops and super clean playing. Is everything (including the keys) played live or is there some programming involved?
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the finished product.

tgunn said:
Wow! Great chops and super clean playing. Is everything (including the keys) played live or is there some programming involved?
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the finished product.

Thanks. The drums and the keyboard solo are MIDI programmed. Everything else is audio files played live in several sessions.

Absolutely fantastic!

The second clean section is superb; I loved the chord changes.

Your build up of emotion, as well as the solos, were outstanding!

To be honest, I almost skipped the thread, because I don't care for Dream Theater at all. I bought one of their live albums to hear what the buzz was about, and thought it was much too clinical.

No offense intended, as I'm sure you enjoy their playing.

I know I'm making an off-handed compliment here, but your playing (to me, compared to the 1 live album I owned,) sounded more emotional and engaging than Dream Theater.

I loved it! Can't wait to hear more...

Yeah, for interest level I'd put that above DT. They bore me.
Damn, you got some serious chops :cool:
And considering your effort so far is with "no serious mixing", it sounds great.

I saw DT and thought David Torn... so what do I know? :oops:

The tune is outstanding.

[Edited] Sorry for the confusion guys. DT stands for Dream Theater.

Big thanks for the positive feedback. This is encouraging.

On DT - I don't like the band as it is today. Today it's just a profitable money making machine. The last two albums were a disaster songwriting-wise IMO. Lack of fresh ideas and further development has become apparent. That said, I am still hugely impressed by their earlier recordings, Images & Words and Awake.

I actually didn't think it was very similar to DT, other than the solos which was very JP. The keyboard solo was very DT aswell. But the whole intro thing and everything leading up to the solo was in my ears not very DT.

Regardless of that, and regardless of the fact that I disagree with you about DT is only about money - I thought it was very good!
Excited to see what the finished song will sound like :)

Back
Top Bottom