A little bit of prog - full song finished

Chronograph

Inspired
Hi there :D

Finally I got it done - the song I've been working on for several months is now finished.

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?s ... value=8016

I know, the mixing is bad. Had to mix in the headphones as my 2-year daughter is not a big metal head :p

Guitars and bass through Ultra. Rhythm quad-tracked. Blackmachine B6 on rhythm, Charvel San Dimas Customshop Masterbuilt on the solo parts, BKP Cold Sweats on both guitars.

Comments are welcome.

vbrilon said:
Nice work, the guitars sound great. The drums are very impressive too.
This. Great work man. This would be one hell of an RPG sound track for a video game. Don't take that as an insult but more of huge huge props man. This reminds me of crazy amazing video game RPG ownage!!

I wouldn't say it's fully finished per se. There's no vocals!

I heard elements of Symphony X and Dream Theater in here, very nice. The solos are very unique. So do you have a singer you work with, or a band?

If not, I volunteer to try and create / add a vocal track for you :)

You can email me at: jerotas2005@yahoo.com

Great work,
-Brian

Nice work.
To my ears the EQ of the drums could be substantially improved with a lot more open-ness in the high-end. It sounds very constrained to me.
As you said...mixing with headphones - it's not ideal.

And I'd keep it as an instrumental.
Vocals are those unnecessary things that get in the way of music :cool:

soularflair said:
And I'd keep it as an instrumental.
Vocals are those unnecessary things that get in the way of music :cool:
haha, true that can be. If you write an instrumental though, you need need some sort of lead melody (if not vocal melody), which for the most part this song does not have. Not on EVERY section, but probably on a good half or so in a song like this.
This song is mostly just riffs (albeit very cool ones) and to me definitely has vocal possibilities. A solo guitar could play the same role obviously.

Many thanks.

Problem with mixing is that I don't have a separate isolated studio room. All the equipment and guitars ate stored in the living room. As I have a 2-year old daughter, I only can do the mixing with monitors when my wife and daughter go out for a walk.

Yes, I would love to create something with vocal parts. Although I've never dealt with vocals before, I could give it a try.

Chronograph said:
Many thanks.

Problem with mixing is that I don't have a separate isolated studio room. All the equipment and guitars ate stored in the living room. As I have a 2-year old daughter, I only can do the mixing with monitors when my wife and daughter go out for a walk.

Yes, I would love to create something with vocal parts. Although I've never dealt with vocals before, I could give it a try.

haha, I do everything these days on headphones too. I have a tiny room and no room for my monitors etc. In another year I'll have a full studio room again.
Anyway, if you like, my offer stands and I'd be glad to attempt some vocals for this and send them to ya. If you don't like em or want to change stuff, no problem. I have a killer mic and preamp, and oh yeah, I can sing this style :)

I have to agree with some comments made earlier about the RPG. About half way through it reminds me of a badass boss battle scene from final fantasy 7. Again, please take this as a compliment. This is a sweet piece!!!!!! Bravo!

It's not often that I go back and listen to a piece again. Only if I had long hair!

New mix sounds loads better!!!!!!

Around the 1 min mark it sounds like clipping??

Nonetheless, much more balanced. Sounds sit in their place and definitely sound better. GJ!

Sounds awesome! How did you go about when creating the song? I mean from a structural perspective?

Awesome.... absolutely Awesome ! Dream Theater's got NOTHIN' on that !... the playing is spot on... the solo stuff near the end ( quadruplets ) are SO clean !... like a human metronome !...
From a mixer's perspective, the only things I would change, would be the string sounds at 2:03... something more realistic...the song deserves it .. ;) also, unless you are going for the earlier Dream Theater sampled snare sound, maybe Superior Drummer sounds to replace the snare... it has so very realistic drum sounds...

GREAT job !!... I would put this on my iPod and listen to it just as much an anything else... Bravo !

Many thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree, the keys from 2:04 sound too Star-Trek-ish :lol:

On the song structure - it's not a verse-chorus-verse-solo-chorus thing. My teacher at school of music once told me - there are three things in a song you should carry about, mood, melody and rhythm structure. Other than than, you may wanna go as wild as you want.

Since then I try to stick to this route. Mood first, melody second, rhythm third. Anything else is a matter of technicality.

Chronograph said:
Many thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree, the keys from 2:04 sound too Star-Trek-ish :lol:

On the song structure - it's not a verse-chorus-verse-solo-chorus thing. My teacher at school of music once told me - there are three things in a song you should carry about, mood, melody and rhythm structure. Other than than, you may wanna go as wild as you want.

Since then I try to stick to this route. Mood first, melody second, rhythm third. Anything else is a matter of technicality.

Excellent advice!!

Back
Top Bottom