A little bit improvement in tone finally, but not totally there

ertan

Experienced
Hi,

I think mine is the unluckiest Axe FX 2 in the whole planet. I really get perfect tones for playing along, but I feel something lacking when I record. I know this is totally because of me, or maybe because I'm comparing it to Metallica's guitars just after recording although i like darker tones :)

But now I think I'm a little closer to 'the tone in my head'. I really like the Mark IIC+ model.

This is a part of my upcoming song, The Mystery of Life.

There is no bass guitar yet.

Please spend your one minute for listening and share your opinions.

Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/ertan-ertang-n/the-mystery-of-life-demo

I listened at your song intentionally with the iPad ....
Honestly is difficult to say something without a bass in the mix ...
It depends also by your vision over mixing your music ...
IMO and only my opinion it seems a little thin on the drum side and too much "frequencies huge " in the guitar side

As it's is stated in most mixing threads we guitar players tend to make guitar sounding as a guitar+bass ... And I think this mix fits with this sentence . No enough room for bass ... Not only in volume balance but even in frequencies

The guitar sound is nice but a bit too lows and little muddy for a dense mix
Quite easy to fix with a little high pass and maybe a GEQ searching to carve
In the low mids ... Maybe at ear between 250 and 450 hz

But as mixing is an art ... Finally no rules ... So that was only my 2 cents

Btw nice song !!

Need more drums. But post it when it's completed, so it's possible to hear how it ends..

i thought it sounded really good until the guitars entered. you'll need to lower their level a bit and also apply some eq. remove a little bottom end and maybe add a slight touch at around 2khz with a wide q. when you add the bass, you may need to adjust the bottom end a little more to leave room. nice tight sound though.

I think that this one is better. There is a solo on this one, but no bass yet.
Didn't try the subtractive eq'ing yet.
There is no drive, filter, pre or post eq. Only the Mark IIC+.
Lead and rhythm is the same except that there is delay at the lead.
Any comment is welcome.
Thanks for spending your time.

https://soundcloud.com/ertan-ertang-n/mix-try-no-bass

Last edited:
like others have said, more drums, and there's nowhere for the bass to sit at all. it's almost like you are trying to compensate for the bass with the guitar.

it almost sounds like a classic case of what someone thinks a guitar tone sounds like due to the whole mix vs what it actually sounds like.

Yes, and for this, I began to train my ear. I will make myself like bassless guitar tones more :)
And I think I'm succeeding. I've played for two hours with the 'cut' switch on (both clean and drive) and I really like the results.
The cut switch is awesome. I liked it more than using an eq or od808.
Better recordings shall come... :)
Thanks for your comments.

Back
Top Bottom