A little advice/help for connecting/using TC Electronics Mimiq

PdotCdot

New to the forums and to Axe FX III. I was relatively content with the Enhancer plugin but looking to give the TC Electronics Mimiq pedal a go. I’ve watched some videos and searched up a few posts here but am still a little overwhelmed with all the options and how to set them up for use with a pedal like this.
I plan on doing one guitar into the pedal(mono) and then I’m not sure if I should figure out the FX loop option or run two separate chains of amps and effects. I’m fairly certain I can do both but could use some tips or a guide. I do a lot of practicing with headphones and would like have the stereo/dual output go to the headphones with the ability to pan around etc.
Any help would be appreciated.

I use the mimiq with my Axe 3 in the fx loop- set it up with the #3 output going into the pedal in stereo, so you have both the L and R #3 outputs going into the Mimiq. Then the two outputs of the Mimiq back into the #3 inputs of the Axe Fx. This takes four patch cables total.
In your patch, set up the Output 3 block and Input 3 block where you want the Mimiq to be doing it’s thing. I’ve tried between the amp and cab, and also post cab, and both have worked well. I currently have it set post cab. I have not tried it before the amp. You can set up the Output / Input 3 blocks in serial, or as a parallel line- it will effect how you much dry you want the Mimiq to send through. If you run the Mimiq in parallel, you’ll probably want to run the pedal with no dry signal, because the dry unaffected tone is already making it through. You’ll have to experiment with pedal settings that you like- it’s a matter of taste. I’m not in front of my rig right now, but I’ll check mine and report back when I can. One last important thing- don’t forget to turn the Output 3 volume on the front of the Axe all the way up!

Edit- see post #11 below- part of this is bad advice- I don't recommend setting up a Mimiq loop in parallel- explained in post #11.

Last edited:
New to the forums and to Axe FX III. I was relatively content with the Enhancer plugin but looking to give the TC Electronics Mimiq pedal a go. I’ve watched some videos and searched up a few posts here but am still a little overwhelmed with all the options and how to set them up for use with a pedal like this.
I plan on doing one guitar into the pedal(mono) and then I’m not sure if I should figure out the FX loop option or run two separate chains of amps and effects. I’m fairly certain I can do both but could use some tips or a guide. I do a lot of practicing with headphones and would like have the stereo/dual output go to the headphones with the ability to pan around etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
BTW- welcome to the forum! You’ll love your Axe! Best piece of gear I’ve ever owned.

No sweat- let us know how it goes. Here's the way I set it up, although it's by no means the only way- the Mimiq is in loop 3.Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 6.14.47 PM.png

No sweat- let us know how it goes. Here's the way I set it up, although it's by no means the only way- the Mimiq is in loop 3.View attachment 55080

So I followed your directions from your initial post and it works perfectly. Exactly was I was hoping for. I’m going to create a patch that follows the setup you have created in the image you posted and see what happens. I’m new to the Axe Fx, so using fx loops and delving into more complex routing hasn’t happened yet. So many of the amps steal my attention for hours at a time:) Playing with the levels on the Mimiq and in the blocks along with the “dubs” switch on the pedal gives so many flavours of depth and space.

I kind of feel guilty not needing the Enhancer when using headphones anymore but the Mimiq does a better job with headphones and my monitors. Maintains the punch when I’m playing through monitors.
Regardless of the Mimiq and the help you guys have given me, the Axe FX III is so good it almost seems ridiculous.

If anyone has given a thought to the Mimiq, I say go for it. Your tone stays just as you like it but it really does something that no other pedal or plugin does. All this is only for a stereo setup of course.

Good, I'm glad to hear it's working for you! I love that darn pedal- I don't use it all the time, but it really adds something cool when it's the right moment. It's fun to assign an expression pedal to the level in the Out 3 block and fade the effect in- you can just feel the sound grow. (Assuming that you have the Out/In 3 blocks in a parallel row, that is...)

And yea, the AF3 is stupid good. I can't imagine trying to go back to a pedal/amp rig with the crazy levels of flexibility and control that we have with this stuff...

Dude! You're a genius! Thanks so much for this! I would have never figured out how to create the routing for this properly and always found it a challenge to get the Mimiq connected properly and sound right with my Helix rack. I just dumped the Helix for the AF3 and then found this post in frustration connecting the Mimiq again, and knowing I should get the full stereo effect of the pedal. I seriously owe you one! Totally Stoked!!

@Pauly Stark - I'm glad it's working for you! I've been messing with this a little more, and I think I need to change my advice posted above a little- I think running the Mimiq in a parallel loop isn't the best way to do it. I think there's a little comb filtering going on that way because of the digital/analog conversion process in the loop introducing a tiny delay (I ran into this when putting analog drives into the loop and running them parallel to the internal signal, and another forum member here-I forget who- pointed it out to me) compared to the parallel dry signal, so I've started setting up my patches with the Mimiq with the Loop 3 (which has the Mimiq in stereo, just like above), and Loop 3 in series, so that the whole signal goes through the loop, and it avoids the comb filtering. I've currently got it set up like this, using a modified patch from @Brian Wahl at Worship Guitar Tutorials. I'm always kind of playing and messing with it, but I think it was messing up the core tone just a little running in parallel, fwiw.Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.39.58 PM.png

Edit: Ok, now that I've been playing with it a little more, I was running into comb filtering in the parallel setup with my original post because I was keeping Loop 3 engaged and just bypassing the Mimiq using the Mimic's switch, and not shutting down the whole loop, which was reintroducing the dry bypass (slightly delayed) signal from the Mimiq back to the dry signal in the patch, and it was combing on bypass. You could keep the parallel 100% wet signal setup and just use a switch on an FC or other controller to shut off Loop 3, keeping the Mimiq turned on the whole time without any problems, I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom