A lightweight, Class AB, Low wattage 1U poweramp for guitar cabs

Chris Hurley

Power User
Rolls RA235. 1U. 35 watts per side into 8 ohms. Doesn't use a switchmode power supply and isn't class-d. Weighs ~6 pounds. I paid $90 USD shipped for one but I think the are normally twice that. I added two quarter-inch output jacks so I won't have to mess with raw wire ends.

So far, it sounds good to me. Its not as loud as a 100 watt head but I think it will work for situations where bone-crushing volume isn't needed which is pretty much every situation I'm every in- home, rehearsals, shows.

Rolls was very responsive to email inquiries and is nice enough to supply the schematic in the manual. The amp is very simple and clean inside and appears to be very serviceable.

I still like the EH 22 Caliber amps but this will fit in my rack. The Carvin DCM200L is similarly priced for a "new" copy and has more wattage so it probably makes sense unless the user has some issue with the sound of it.

Yes, I know you need 30,000 watts in a solid state amp to equal a 1 watt tube amp. Just mentioning this as another option for those who find themselves in the appropriate situation.

I haven't tried yet but I doubt this will be suitable for a full-range rig since the amp may get dirty wide open but it doesn't seen to be a problem with guitar cabs.

Had a rehearsal tonight with only one cabinet- amp sounded great. I used the Friedman BE model on Axe-FX II mostly. Barely had the RA235 going at all. Rack is still too heavy. :)

Are there any single rack space a/b amps, 7 lbs, under $400?

I just dug out an old Samson Servo 150, ripped my 4x12 cab apart, rewired 2 speakers to 8 ohms. Only two speakers out of 4 are hooked up. It sounds pretty dang good to me. Played with my medium/heavy handed drummer just fine. I want lower weight though.

Need lighter weight power amp

Are there any single rack space a/b amps, 7 lbs, under $400?

I just dug out an old Samson Servo 150, ripped my 4x12 cab apart, rewired 2 speakers to 8 ohms. Only two speakers out of 4 are hooked up. It sounds pretty dang good to me. Played with my medium/heavy handed drummer just fine. I want lower weight though.

The fact that someone spends $2,200 on an axe-fx doesn't mean they have a limitless amount of money to spend on followup gear, nor does it mean that they have to buy beyond what they need just to remain in "the club"

Like any rig - its as good as its weakest link. When purchasing something you should always factor in the FULL cost. Thats the equipment plus any accessories. not many people would buy a valve head without a cab, an intention to buy a cab, or one at home.

Same with the AfX. You should include what you need to use it how you intend. for recording thats not much - for live thats a midi board of some sort, and an amplification method be it FRFR backline, FRFR monitoring or power amp and cab (full range or traditional guitar).

That said - there are decent solutions out there. The Matrix is probably the best SS option at present (without spending stupid amounts of cash) but there are others.

It has a digital input? (spdif)
I'm looking for a cheap/good poweramp with a digital input.
Cables suck.

I have been looking at that amp again let me know how it holds up with your rig... if thats where you plan on using it? I would love to get a Matrix but it's not in the cards right now.

Should be here in a few days, I'll let you know what i think.

I have the Carvin DCM200 and think it's great if there's enough power for you. Only weighs 4 lbs and I don't think the Matrix could sound any better.... just louder.

Looking at the excellent selection of amps you have in your signature, I am very surprised you would use this. But if it works than thats fine. I would love to see the audience's faces when you have an AV amp on stage and it sounds amazing.

Somebody liked my post and put this thread back on my radar. I recently compared the Rolls to the Matrix GT1000 with my Axe-FX III before I sold the Matrix. The Matrix is a ton louder but the Rolls sounded great to me, within its power limits when driving a guitar cabinet. So much so, I picked up another one used for well under $100USD.

I installed 1/4" outputs on mine which perhaps not everyone else would be willing to do.

Still a great option on the cheap if you don't need tons of power.

I picked up a third one this week for around 100.

What a steal these amps are used and a great value at new prices. My first one has been flawless for over 10 years now.

Back
Top Bottom